movies/tv Opinions on Anime

I don't understand people who say they don't like anime. There are too many diverse shows to simply say you don't like it. Anyone with a beating heart can find something to love in at least one anime. 

But uh, doesn't that also mean that there are too many diverse shows to simply say that you like anime?  :confused:

No really, when he says he doesn't like anime, he means that he doesn't like the artstyle, the way the animation is done etc, which is very unique to those kind of series. It's a matter of taste, not much else to it.

But uh, doesn't that also mean that there are too many diverse shows to simply say that you like anime?  :confused:

that doesn't make any sense.

No really, when he says he doesn't like anime, he means that he doesn't like the artstyle, the way the animation is done etc, which is very unique to those kind of series. It's a matter of taste, not much else to it.

the art and animation particular to anime is diversified at least as much as western cartoons. It's no more unique to anime than to what we call cartoons, and I doubt anyone would declare they didn't like cartoons as a whole. That's what I mean.

the art and animation particular to anime is diversified at least as much as western cartoons.

Sharp angles, big eyes, bright colors, exaggerated movements...while not a rule, that style is still definitely a strong trend. I have seen some anime that I enjoy (Death Note and FLCL are good, and Studio Ghibli is in a world of its own), but most of it I find it a bit too visually over-the-top.

Just one opinion, though, obviously. Your ability to notice and articulate variations within a genre definitely changes as you get to know it, too. I'm sure that you can list off a myriad of differences between two shows that I wouldn't see even if I watched them.

Sharp angles, big eyes, bright colors, exaggerated movements...while not a rule, that style is still definitely a strong trend. I have seen some anime that I enjoy (Death Note and FLCL are good, and Studio Ghibli is in a world of its own), but most of it I find it a bit too visually over-the-top.

Just one opinion, though, obviously. Your ability to notice and articulate variations within a genre definitely changes as you get to know it, too. I'm sure that you can list off a myriad of differences between two shows that I wouldn't see even if I watched them.

Exactly.

And while "sharp angles, big eyes" etc. may be common in anime, there are things equally particular and common to western cartoons. If you grew up watching western cartoons, you might not notice them as much as you notice those certain characteristics of foreign animation.

that doesn't make any sense.

Why exactly? You say that one can't dislike anime, because there are too many different shows. So, one can't really say that he likes anime either, if you look at it through your very own logic.

the art and animation particular to anime is diversified at least as much as western cartoons. It's no more unique to anime than to what we call cartoons, and I doubt anyone would declare they didn't like cartoons as a whole. That's what I mean.

Anime tends to have a low framerate, for example, which is something I amongst many others can't stand. Sure, there might be some anime shows out there I'd enjoy, but looking at it generally, its not really my thing.

Edited by RaveRatchet

Why exactly? You say that one can't dislike anime, because there are too many different shows. So, one can't really say that he likes anime either, if you look at it through your very own logic.

If you have a large selection of choices, it makes it easy to find something you like. It's much harder, however, to dislike all of the choices open to you, when there are that many. This isn't an equation, it doesn't work both ways.

Anime tends to have a low framerate, for example, which is something I amongst many others can't stand. 

I'm surprised that makes it unwatchable. Because it's slower? you must be very accustomed to watching faster animation.

If you have a large selection of choices, it makes it easy to find something you like. It's much harder, however, to dislike all of the choices open to you, when there are that many. This isn't an equation, it doesn't work both ways.

Depends on who you are, on your preferences in shows...that speaks for itself.

I'm surprised that makes it unwatchable. Because it's slower? you must be very accustomed to watching faster animation.

Yeah, a fast framerate makes the animation smooth and look more like actual movement, and therefore more realistic...which is something I value highly personally.

Depends on who you are, on your preferences in shows...that speaks for itself.

Anyone, with any "preference" should be able to find something to like in anime. Unless, they have a superficial objection, with something like the animation, or frame rate. That's my point.

Yeah, a fast framerate makes the animation smooth and look more like actual movement, and therefore more realistic...which is something I value highly personally.

If you value "movement" over the quality of the show itself, or the story, then I feel sorry for you and those like you. 

I respect Japanese animation, but I don't watch it much anymore. I agree with everyone else that the, in comparison to cartoons from my country, low framerates in TV anime bug me.

But in my opinion, the lack of movement is made up for by much better visuals, like shading and highlights and very detailed (not just big) eyes. 

Edited by nami438

Obviously you have never watched Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Honestly I feel the same way about animes that target younger demographics like, DBZ, Naruto, etc, but sometimes there is just emotional and sentimental writing that takes in depth psychological analysis to even begin to predict accurately. Some of these shows come and they literally play games with your heart, I will honestly say Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Deathnote and Code Geass, all touched me in ways that left a mark on my character, they are remarkable shows. Now its not like im a late night Toonami waiting for Fairytale and Black Lagoon, I dont go 200% anime, but when a good anime shows itself, you gotta pay your respects.

• Brohoof 1

Anyone, with any "preference" should be able to find something to like in anime. 

Not everyone, but most maybe.

Unless, they have a superficial objection, with something like the animation, or frame rate. That's my point.

That's just what I think, nothing too superficial about it really. Understand that people's tastes vary enormously.

If you value "movement" over the quality of the show itself, or the story, then I feel sorry for you and those like you. 

I don't, but it's important for the visual enjoyment. If the visuals in a show mean little to nothing to you, why not just read/listen to books instead?

I don't, but it's important for the visual enjoyment. If the visuals in a show mean little to nothing to you, why not just read/listen to books instead?

I love the animation, and the style, of anime. I have no problem with it. At the same time, I like western cartoons. This is why it's hard for me to understand it when people complain so thoroughly over the animation quality. It seems a bit picky to me. Maybe older people have a hard time with it, since they're so accustomed to their own animation tradition.  

Edited by PinkProlific IV

I'll watch anime if it's the only thing to do, the only exception is if the anime was solely based on dragons or dragons destroying humans and winning in the end.  Of course that will never exist which is why there isn't really any that I like, it's either dragons are evil and die by a human or it's another dragon rider show lol

Edited by Simcity11100

I love the animation, and the style, of anime. I have no problem with it. At the same time, I like western cartoons. This is why it's hard for me to understand it when people complain so thoroughly over the animation quality. It seems a bit picky to me. 

You like the style of anime, I don't. That's really how simple it is.

Maybe older people have a hard time with it, since they're so accustomed to their own animation tradition.  

Well, I'm only 16 so that's not the case with me, but you could be somewhat right. 

I used to like it when I was 11, but stopped around the time I turned 14. I just got bored with it since the majority of new shows I saw coming out were either boring high school slice-of-life or harems. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those shows (heck, Kill la Kill was a favorite of mine), but I do have a limit on how many pairs of boobs can destroy jiggle physics. :/ I know those shows aren't all anime has to offer, but there's nothing more to do when a viewer loses interest.

Overall, anime is okay, but it's easy to lose interest.

• Brohoof 2

I absolutely LOVE anime! Apart from Pokemon and really boring high-school anime, I adore the genre at it's finest. Before I watched a certain anime, I found anime to be "unique", but never actually watched it because, well, Pokemon or Digimon, or even any kind of anime "designed" for kids. Once I stepped into my first anime though (Death Note), I got delved deeper into the genre. Though, after watching only 8 SAO episodes, and finishing Death Note, I found it kind of boring after that. Some time later, I found this legendary anime that rivals even the best of shows, which some people might recognize with a... menacing glare.

7facd20f5216202349ad2fc3119e2e5b13299367

No spoilers or anything (top kek), but let's just leave it at, the anime is fantastic. I finally regained lots of interest for the genre again, and I resumed watching SAO. It even got a lot better after episode 8, I also started watching R.W.B.Y, Gurren Laggan, and currently conflicting myself whether to watch Soul Eater. 

Not meaning to "push" you or anything, but behind all that heap of trash, anime has some really golden stuff in there. Give it a try, especially that one up there.

Think me watching "anime" was as a preschooler - it was 70s cartoon series Maya the Bee...

Real appreciation came in 2001 with Pokemanz but all I was crazy about is Misty & her awesome outfit...

I didn't bother with anime until late 20000s when while the awesomely drawn hot anime girls do deserve admiration & artists deserve credits for their works, I never got in to it because all characters looked the same with huge colorful tunnel-like eyes, sharp little noses & mouth like a pulsating red spot on their faces...  And if only you could knew how much I hate the lazy/cheap animation in every anime cartoon where the character can stand still in one position for like 3-10 seconds where only the pulsating mouth is what actually moves...   Moves... those are weird, like if the video is missing some frames...  So yeah, anime on the animation ground is unbearable shit that makes you bluntly stare at every pose for 3-10 seconds before another pose come in...  Also, I never liked the typical Bright VS. Dark forces plot in each anime I was coming across.

I like my Madoka Magicas and my Gurren Laganns and my Cowboy Bebops and my Cardcaptors and my Fullmetal Alchemists and my Dragon Ball Zs and my...

• Brohoof 1

I like some anime, but I'm nowhere near as into it as most of my friends are :please: a lot of the popular/most hyped stuff (obviously I know that there's a lot of different genres and it's not all like that, etc) seems to focus a lot on action/fighting and big epic plots, which usually bores me (eg Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan). The stuff I have enjoyed tends towards sports anime and SoL (Free!, Kuroko no Basket), I think because of the focus on characters and friendships, and characters I like/care about is pretty much the most important thing to me in any media :) I keep thinking I should watch more anime (ie the stuff my friends tell me to watch), but I get bored easily :lol:

• Brohoof 1