Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Tips on a well-written romance story?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Well, what type of romantic relationship are you doing, straight, gay/lesbian, or bi? Most people do straight, but I think a well-written gay/lesbian or bi story would be cool.

After that, I'd suggest there being something to spice up the story. Like, futuristic apocalypse romance. Romance in medieval ages. Romance in space. Or you know, just plain romance on earth, but I like my suggestions.

Next off, make your characters. I suggest not making two 'OMG YOU'RE MY TRUE LOVE EVEN THO I JUST SAW YOU 5 SECONDS AGO' since that's cliché. But try making a duo that works well together, and their relationship develops realistically over time. They don't even need to like each other in the beginning. 

AND NEXT MAKE A FUN PLOT THAT IS MAINLY ROMANTIC BUT IN MY OPINION I'D BE COOL IF THE ROMANTIC DUO WAS DOING SOMETHING ELSE TOO, LIKE I DUNNO, GOING TO SLAY A DRAGON, RUNNING FROM THE AUTHORITIES, WHATEVERRRR.

Anyway, those are Shift's tips. And all I got for now. See ya.

If you have the time, I would look through stories (or professionally published books even) and pick out what you like in a romance story and what you don't.

From what I heard, romance stories are often better as a little odd and quirky sometimes, where its also kinda fun. I don't have experience with it myself, but I like a little innocence and charm too. I think different ways to go about it will appeal to different people though.

Otherwise, I would look online for general tips, not only for writing romance, but also for writing plot and characters, since both can make or break your story regardless of genre.

Also, if you're worried about cliches, why not start a list as you're writing of ones you know of, and try to stay away from them?

Edited by SFyr