Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An Openly Gay Character on MLP

Visual Spectrum

I don't think a lot of you understood what I was saying.

We know Mrs and Mr Cake are married. Their marriage does not affect the plot.

Let's say Big Mac and Caramel got married. We know they are married, but they don't go into the marriage. It's just a side thing, nothing more. Would that affect your views of the show?

I do not mean an episode about them getting married or anything. We know they got married, and that's it.

Doesnt Caramel become a mare at some point?

I digress, if it happened in the background and wasnt made a big deal of then the only people who would notice are the people for it, which I am okay with. I would rather it not be trumpetted as this very special episode cause that would make more trouble then it would need.

Doesnt Caramel become a mare at some point?

I digress, if it happened in the background and wasnt made a big deal of then the only people who would notice are the people for it, which I am okay with. I would rather it not be trumpetted as this very special episode cause that would make more trouble then it would need.

Caramel turns back into a stallion, though. 

Just wanted to touch on something becoming increasingly relevant to this discussion, to those of you who can't understand why some people don't approve of homosexuality: The thing when it comes to religion is that the principles are dogmatic by nature; you're not going to change anyone's mind, at least not in some grand way. If someone believes that homosexuality is a sin well...that's all there is to it. We can say it's not till we're blue in the face and there's no point because it's part of the doctrine, something so intrinsic to themselves that they would have to have a world-view-changing experience to change their mind.

We're sad because the negativity towards homosexuality seems completely and utterly baseless, and they're sad because they can't get us to understand that we're falling out of the grace of god. The perspectives are just too different, and at some point you just need to respectfully agree to disagree on certain things.

:wau: Well said, sir! I laud your recognition of both sides of the issue.  :smug:

• Brohoof 1

I'd be alright with it, as long as Hasbro doesn't make them extremely open about it. Passively, it would be a nice addition, but if they just pop out a flashy neon rainbow and pink homosexual-cutie mark wearing pony yelling "IM GAY", then that would be terrible. Forcing new (for the most part) ideas to the target audience, children, would definitely spark some controversy in parents. As long as they play it right, I'm down with it.

• Brohoof 3

Passively, it would be a nice addition, but if they just pop out a flashy neon rainbow and pink homosexual-cutie mark wearing pony yelling "IM GAY",

I would find it amusing, but I don't think it would go over well.

:wau: Well said, sir! I laud your recognition of both sides of the issue.  :smug:

Thanks. That being said, I might have a few more things to say if the person was a politician enacting anti-homosexuality laws, or someone voting for said laws. Beliefs are one thing, but the minute a religion I don't believe in negatively affects my everyday life the kiddie gloves come off.

At that point it's not about whether or not someone's religion is true but whether they have the right to force that religion's dogma on others.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

I actually think that's how they should work it. Not as an episode, but just a thing that happens. No need to make a big deal over it.

The issue lies therein that there are quite a few social justice groups that would still attack the show regardless of how well they portrayed it as no different from the norm, as anything other than direct focus on the issue is not seen as positive in their ideals.

While it would be neat, I don't see hasbro having an openly homosexual character either in the foreground or background for quite some time. Having the character just simply exist in the background has the potential for causing a sjw outrage over the internet as they could construe it as a negatence of their personal social fights and progressiveness. And applying the character to the foreground would cause the show to become politsed and thus loose even more revenue.

It would be interesting to see, but as the show is at its core a capitalist economic source of revenue, I do not see Hasbro adding in homosexual characters, nor suprmely overt sexuality in anything outside the classical primary school level crush.

• Brohoof 1

Well, this is a loaded topic, especially since it represents the topic of gay rights in general. Though I'm straight I'm all for gay rights, but I don't think an openly gay character in the series would be a great idea, largely because this series doesn't have a lot of romance in general, and the majority of characters have not been openly straight either. For the most part, the sexual orientation of characters isn't revealed. We can assume that Twilight is straight, as is Rarity, and maybe Applejack, and we know Spike is, plus Cadance and Shining Armor(obviously), and Big Mac and Cheerilee, as well as the Cakes, but the rest are open to interpretation, and there's plenty of the female equivalent to a bromance in this series. I think that's a good alternative to trying to tackle the subject of sexual orientation head on. It neither calls attention to the issue, or dismisses it.

Besides, I kind of like that romantic moments in this series in general are few and far in between. This is a series about friendship above all else, and accepting others for who they are. I believe there are LGBT ponies somewhere in Equestria, and they blend into the crowd, without being on the receiving end of hate crimes, but the beauty of this series is that there's some room to believe what we want to believe.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 4

Made a thread about this a long while back. Long story short, we came to the conclusion that it's not gonna happen.

Well while I'm sure we can all agree it's probably not going to happen, discussing our feeling if they did is still proving to be quite the interesting discussion.

• Brohoof 2