Did 9/11 make you a brony?

Samurai Equine

I've seen 2 different documents about Bronies, and both of them have mentioned 9/11, implying that our fandom is a response to it as well as all the violence and hard times in our generation, and I found that EXTREMELY odd. If people outside the fandom are meant to see these documentaries, why run the risk of generalizing the fandom like that?

Does anyone feel this way? Does anyone consider themselves a brony or pegasister because of 9/11 or something similar?

I'm a brony because I like the show and I support the fandom. That's all. 9/11 was practically a distant memory when I saw the premiere of the 1st season (no offense to survivors and people related to survivors of 9/11).

• Brohoof 9

halloweensig.png.397601b0ba3d0bdc1d66a19d4ccbc7fa.png

What the f*ck? No. I agree with you, that's very odd.

That was a tragic day to us all, but it was also like 9 years before good pony

I remember being in 3rd grade and seeing the jumping man plummet to his death in the news, and that stuck with me until even now.

But me becoming a brony had zilch to do with it. The last thing on my mind the day I became a brony was that horrible day.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 15

datte_request_v2_by_wize_kevn-d7hcnbq.png

^Click for my Deviant Art^

You truly are the Rosa Parks of not understanding what r34 is.

I wouldn'tve made that connection, no. I also find it somewhat odd that someone would imply that this particular fandom is a "response" to 9/11.

I like the show and the fan works that came about as a result. That's my explanation.

• Brohoof 4

That's actually kind of disgusting and I do agree that it's odd. It was an awful day, just like any other tragedy, but the fandom was not a response to things like that. It's a cartoon, that's it, you should only classify yourself as a brony/pegasister if you like the show, enjoy the fandom, or both.

• Brohoof 4

DZf4iNK.png

matching setups with my bff pathfinder

God no. It sounds like a crack pot conspiracy theory to me to bash the fandom. What next, gays are creating nuclear missles to kill all straight people? This is what I hate society and Status Quo. They make some of the most RETARDED assumptions known to man. I mean seriously wtf? Are they going to compare bronies to Alkida next or something?

"Love and Hate are two different sides of the same coin. Both are feelings that are indescribable. One is felt often while the other is typically felt by those who cannot comprehend right from wrong." - Me

"In my time as a reaper of souls, I've learned to never take anything seriously unless it means my life. Chaos and Control are forms of the life flow, nothing more. Pain and heartbreak are no different, just a flow of events." - Sadist

"I know there is no use to prey, I am a demon today. We all are demons today" - Combichrist

No, in fact 9/11 did not affect my personal life at all.

I got into MLP mainly because I needed to watch a happy show that would escape me from my involvement with my frustrations from the video game world, not games themselves but worrying about my favorite game companies.

I was in first grade during 9/11, I didn't even know what happened and, although horribly tragic, wasn't affected by it because I was at such a young age. No, that's not the reason I'm a brony. I just like cartoons.

• Brohoof 1

img-24134-1-img-24134-1-Sscj1oz.png

To me it's just another example of people trying to rationalize the fandom by connecting it to some real life tragedy that must have impacted the lives of Bronies and how us liking the show must be a response to something.

My liking the show is a response to me seeing it, and nothing more. I didn't have some kind of "9/11" tragedy happen to me or some depressing life event that led me to the show. My life was actually stable around the time I discovered the show.

• Brohoof 3

RainblowHash.gif

#bringbackmerriwetherwillaims

I don't even remember 9/11. 

Rarity made me a brony :wub: Not no American tragedy. That's just crazy talk.

Like, look at this beauty :wub:

post-20419-0-21829800-1409889633_thumb.png

So elegant :wub:

• Brohoof 4

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Oh Luna no. That is very very very odd. But this kind of stuff has been around forever. Its a way for people to trace things they don't understand to another thing that is tragic. *cough* Tupac and illuminate.

I've seen 2 different documents about Bronies, and both of them have mentioned 9/11, implying that our fandom is a response to it as well as all the violence and hard times in our generation, and I found that EXTREMELY odd

Can you post a link?

I need to read these myself.

• Brohoof 2

MLP and this tragedy have no correlation

Who would make such a strange accusation?

It's a T.v show that I enjoy

Nothing to do with what terrorists employ

I would like to meet this shmuck

Who has made me say, "what in the fuck?"

So I can know his thinking

Behind this weird inkling

• Brohoof 2

29q1lx3.jpg

Thats kinda weird considering that 9/11 happened 9 years before the preimer of FiM. So unless you have the most delayed reaction ever I don't see how it could directly effect you in the way that it would end in you becoming a brony. Unless you have some really good work around logic, I don't see how it could.

• Brohoof 2

I was like only a year old when 9/11 happened, and I've just heard of it when surfing the internet or something. 

But, I don't know why there is a connection with that tragic event with a uplifting animated series like MLP. I mean, what's the connection of Osama bin Laden and our pones? :huh:

Welp, I'll have to say this...

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE SHOW...

;):P

• Brohoof 1

We became bronies because of say what now? Like... Really? I have heard a lot of weird reasons for people to become bronies (I am talking about stereotypes) & honestly... Out of all the ones I have heard, including homosexuality & mental issues, this is the weirdest & most insane one I have heard. Without a doubt, I have never even made the connection of bronies too any sort of major tragedy, I mean people who like the Power Puff Girls weren't fans because they read about the Titanic (yes I know, much bigger separation of time there but point still stands). I just... Really? This is the latest theory they have come up with?

Is it really so wrong to want to watch a show because we like it? Is enjoyment such a foreign concept nowadays people have to make these insane theories about how we watch the show because we are traumatized or pedophiles or something? To answer the OP, no, I did not watch the show because of 9/11. I watched the show because I enjoyed it. Jeez people, I know guys liking something feminine is  a bit odd but... Really? 9/11 = Brony!?!? If I had had family in the Twin Towers or the planes & was a brony, upon hearing this I would be extremely offended. As if the deaths of people by radicals somehow makes me fall in love with a show about candy-coated equines  :wat:

• Brohoof 5

ePKfNjC.gif

Thank you Pinkamena-Pills for resizing the original, and putting that little message at the end

What the f*ck?

That was LITERALLY the only sentence I could utter aloud as I waited for this page to load. :blink:

I'm a brony because I like MLP:FiM. I don't understand how that could have anything to do with 9/11 without implying, or even just outright stating, that MLP:FiM is a terrorist attack on our children.

"America is evil, LET'S MAKE THEIR CHILDREN WATCH A SHOW ABOUT PONIES THAT HAVE DECENT MORAL LESSONS IN MOST, IF NOT EVERY, EPISODE!"

"That's an excellent idea, Osama. Let's get right on that."

Those documents (documentaries?) you mention are so far out of line, it's udderly ridiculous. I say NEIGH, good sir.

Can you post a link?

I need to read these myself.

They a video documentaries, not written. Believe it or not, it was in "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Fans of My Little Pony" and "A Brony Tale". They aren't on Youtube or anything, so you'll have to buy a copy or find an illegal way to watch.

To me it's just another example of people trying to rationalize the fandom by connecting it to some real life tragedy that must have impacted the lives of Bronies and how us liking the show must be a response to something.

My liking the show is a response to me seeing it, and nothing more. I didn't have some kind of "9/11" tragedy happen to me or some depressing life event that led me to the show. My life was actually stable around the time I discovered the show.

^ THIS.  All day long.  "How can these people possibly enjoy this?  It wasn't intended for their demographic!  Let's overanalyze it and make up complete nonsense to 'explain' it in a way that appeases the general non-Brony populace."

Wait, ya know what?  I think I actually became a Brony due to the events of World War I.

MLP and this tragedy have no correlation

Who would make such a strange accusation?

It's a T.v show that I enjoy

Nothing to do with what terrorists employ

I would like to meet this shmuck

Who has made me say, "what in the fuck?"

So I can know his thinking

Behind this weird inkling

Brilliant, sir.  Simply brilliant.

• Brohoof 3

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

They a video documentaries, not written. Believe it or not, it was in "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Fans of My Little Pony" and "A Brony Tale". They aren't on Youtube or anything, so you'll have to buy a copy or find an illegal way to watch.

This may be me being my good ol dumbsh*t self, but I do not remember that at all

I see,and i became a brony because of the events during the time of the Ancient Egyptians. The Pyramids of Giza told me to become a brony.  :maud:

...  :maud:  

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 5

sig-27460.i2QLbt3.jpgOatmeal, are you crazy?!

"Silly, you are already under my control."- Pinkie Pie
Signature made by me, because resistance truly is futile, silly.

Currently still undergoing maintenance. Yes, i can do that, im a program, silly.

I see,and i became a brony because of the events during the time of the Ancient Egyptians. The Pyramids of Giza told me to become a brony.  :maud:

I'd buy that over this 9/11 nonsense. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

The razing of Rome is what led me to become a brony! After the Roman Empire fell I just needed something to be happy about!

• Brohoof 1

I just want to emphasize, the documentaries did NOT specifically say "the fandom is a direct response to 9/11". However, they felt it important to mention that we live in a post-9/11 world, that we need a safe haven from all the violence and drama in our lives, etc. So yeah, they pretty much implied it. Why even mention it at all? That's my point.

I think claiming it was a response to 9/11 is a bit of a stretch, given the 9-year time gap.

I do agree in part, however, that it may have been in response to some things, perhaps on a personal level of many of the fandom, or because of a general level of awareness of society as a whole. Here we have a television show which, in addition to featuring cute little ponies in a thoughtfully put together world setting, has one very important theme to it, and that is friendship, and how to have a great one. In this day and age where people are becoming increasingly aware of and opposed to bullying among children, coupled with such new threats as the ever-popular "cyberbullying", having a show all about friendship is a very positive message to have, one that resonates with a huge number of people on any of a number of different levels, meaning different things to different people, but almost universally good things.

Television programs with a positive message attached to them are a very powerful medium. This is why no one can remember many of the various cop shows that have been on TV over the years, but absolutely everyone, to this day, knows who Mr. Rogers is.

• Brohoof 2

RedCedarForumSignature.png
Roleplaying OC: Red Cedar - Cast Character: Applejack