Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did 9/11 make you a brony?

Samurai Equine

What the f*ck? No. I agree with you, that's very odd.

That was a tragic day to us all, but it was also like 9 years before good pony

I remember being in 3rd grade and seeing the jumping man plummet to his death in the news, and that stuck with me until even now.

But me becoming a brony had zilch to do with it. The last thing on my mind the day I became a brony was that horrible day.

I've seen 2 different documents about Bronies, and both of them have mentioned 9/11, implying that our fandom is a response to it as well as all the violence and hard times in our generation, and I found that EXTREMELY odd. If people outside the fandom are meant to see these documentaries, why run the risk of generalizing the fandom like that?

Does anyone feel this way? Does anyone consider themselves a brony or pegasister because of 9/11 or something similar?

I'm a brony because I like the show and I support the fandom. That's all. 9/11 was practically a distant memory when I saw the premiere of the 1st season (no offense to survivors and people related to survivors of 9/11).

I feel the same i became a brony because of changes we need to make but the falling people and debris among the actual footage of the second plane is forever sketched in my head and like all others I cant ever forget. There is very little that can compare I even remember some of the people accidentally falling and grabbing ledges for dear life with nobody to pull em up it ripps my whole heart to shreds every time. 9/11 was felt literally by the world and its one of the worst things we all share together so in a way it somehow connects us. Mlp however is non related and connects us in a good way but I would think and maybe wrongly that 9/11 maybe did convince some through the depression of memories or something but again I could be guessing wrong.

I just want to emphasize, the documentaries did NOT specifically say "the fandom is a direct response to 9/11". However, they felt it important to mention that we live in a post-9/11 world, that we need a safe haven from all the violence and drama in our lives, etc. So yeah, they pretty much implied it. Why even mention it at all? That's my point.

Ahh, good ol fashioned assuming.

There's the problem right there. No one ever said it. And even if you want to imply it, the correlation is a stretch.

• Brohoof 1

Ahh, good ol fashioned assuming.

There's the problem right there. No one ever said it. And even if you want to imply it, the correlation is a stretch.

I'm not really assuming anything, I'm giving my own commentary on it. It just seems like a really odd thing to put into documentaries about this fandom. If an outsider watches them and catches the 9/11 comments, they might get the wrong idea.

• Brohoof 1

For once, I don't get where all the snark's coming from. The 21st century is vastly different from the 20th, and a big part of that was 9/11. We live in a dark, depressing world where anyone can die at any time for any reason, and any escape from that fact is a welcome one.

Personally, I actually agree, to an extent. I often get a bit cynical or depressed about the world, and need to shave it off with a bit of pony. It's a healthy outlet to help us escape this shitty planet for 20 minutes a week.

So yes. 9/11, or rather the general atmosphere and climate of the 21st century partially caused by 9/11, is part of what made me a brony.

• Brohoof 1

Why does this thread exist?

fOr thE gLoRY of SAtaN of COuRse

I'm not really assuming anything, I'm giving my own commentary on it. It just seems like a really odd thing to put into documentaries about this fandom. If an outsider watches them and catches the 9/11 comments, they might get the wrong idea.

Then it's not implied, it's what you took from it

When I watched it, I didn't think any of what you said

• Brohoof 1

I see,and i became a brony because of the events during the time of the Ancient Egyptians. The Pyramids of Giza told me to become a brony.  :maud:

...  :maud:  

Well i have been a brony since the 8th century so.......   :nom:

Edited by GLA commander
  • Brohoof 2

I agree it is odd...but then again it isn't. 9/11 fundamentally changed America, in culture and politics. It's not very easy to see now, 13 years removed from it, but I remember seeing the change happen around me early on that has more or less melting into the backdrop of our society today. It is strange, being in 6th grade when that happened, I didn't know much about politics, or worldly matters (I mean I was kid focused on kid things), but after 9/11 I began to willingly keep up with the political matters that resulted from 9/11 and continue to keep an eye on politics to this day (although I want no part of it due to its corruption in which one measly vote from me with accomplish nothing)....Anyhow, FIM really does harken back to times where we didn't have terrorists at our backdoor, security EVERYWHERE, and the government watching everything we do (in fact they are probably reading the posts here on this forum). Cartoons before 9/11 were more innocent and free, taking daring new directions for the best of them, and utterly ignored for the worst of the them. Modern cartoons cater towards stupidity in its humor and nonsensical plots, which began around 9/11.  The subjects have little in common for the most part, but if you really look between 2000-2002, our culture really shifted in ways that really interconnect such diverse things. Most of this is due to in part by technological advancements of that time (just look at the video game industry during those years).....

I guess people can make a face value correlation but fail to really think about the deeper implications as why anyone would connect MLP to 9/11....in short it is silly, but there are some real social issues that drive such thoughts at a deeper social psychological level....Personally, I see correlation, but I don't make the comparison myself in my own life...

• Brohoof 2

From what i can guess is they ment world changing events sending us into a new era. WW1 brought the roaoring 20,s WW2 began americas protest era vietnam blew that open and 9/11 brought the internet boom. From 1990 to 2000 no giant strides had been made but look at 2001 to now. Bronies are kind of the product of the internet boom. Is it directly connected to 9/11 no not a chance. Bronies were born because of how easy it has become to connect with the world. Why do you think it took off faster than any fandom before it. Anime had a fan base in the 80's and 90's but it was an uncommon thing now with sites like hulu and crunchyroll it has become easy to watch for the rest of the world. The internet is awesome.

• Brohoof 1

There's no correlation between 9/11, and myself becoming a brony. 9/11 is a very distant memory for me, since I was was only five at the time. All I remember about 9/11 is seeing it happen on every channel, and being a five year old I was wondering where the hell the cartoons were at. I also remember my dad coming home and saying that a bunch of his (Somalian) coworkers were cheering when they saw 9/11 happen. 

No, I probably would have gotten into ponies even if 9/11 never happened. I don't think it is 9/11 specifically that gets people into the show but one thing I have noticed about a significant portion of the fandom is that a significant portion of the fandom has said that the show has helped them with depression and that one of the main reasons they like the show is because of its positive messages.

I myself have admitted that it has helped me a bit with my depression, sure it hasn't done anything dramatic by saving my life but I think the brony phenomenon would have happened even if 9/11 never did. People have been going through hard times long before 9/11 and I can see how some of those people would want a positive influence in their lives.

On the other hand though correlations does not always equal causation, there are plenty of people that may be going through hard times but got into the show and stay into the shows for reasons completely unrelated to that and there are plenty of perfectly happy and well adjusted people who get and stay into the show as well.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

What?

That's all I could say,

WHAT?

How does a tradgedy led by a terrorist group... make anyone a brony?...

What, was it Osama Bin Laden's plan all along or something? Making everyone turn into bronies? :P

How did you get that idea? It was 9 years before the premiere.

I've seen 2 different documents about Bronies, and both of them have mentioned 9/11, implying that our fandom is a response to it as well as all the violence and hard times in our generation, and I found that EXTREMELY odd. If people outside the fandom are meant to see these documentaries, why run the risk of generalizing the fandom like that?

Does anyone feel this way? Does anyone consider themselves a brony or pegasister because of 9/11 or something similar?

I'm a brony because I like the show and I support the fandom. That's all. 9/11 was practically a distant memory when I saw the premiere of the 1st season (no offense to survivors and people related to survivors of 9/11).

Just curious, what were these documentaries called? I'd like to call them out on their Bullshit. (Not really, but I can at least call them out in my mind.)

I WAS ONLY 4 WHEN THAT HAPPENED.

I became a brony because I like the show. That may be because of the troubles of my life. I think I may be afflicted with Cyclothymia (I, unfortunately, only have a novice knowledge of psychology) or, in essence, a minor version of Bipolar Disorder in which there is a middle stage, not just Manic and Depressive. Meaning, my emotions are bit edgy. Only a bit. I had attempted suicide twice by the time I became a brony. I almost found my brother's hunting knife. My Little Pony saved my life. I thought of it as an item on a sort of things that I thought might be of my interest. It discouraged my suicide. Or at least, it did then. I tried it again recently. I have a strange, unconscious will to live.

But, yes, I watch MLP and am thusly a brony because it saved me from death by my own hand.

They a video documentaries, not written. Believe it or not, it was in "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Fans of My Little Pony" and "A Brony Tale". They aren't on Youtube or anything, so you'll have to buy a copy or find an illegal way to watch.

I've seen the first one, and it didn't say anything about 9/11 being connected in any way, shape or form.