Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Should Scooby Doo End?

SeraphStar

I know the first movie was terrible if you're basing it off of how it relates to the original — but if we look at some references:

• classic opening w/ a mystery

• implied "Shaggy is a stoner" gag near beginning

• Daphne being a black belt (which was introduced one of the later spinoffs)

(That's all I've got because I haven't seen it in years :okiedokielokie: )

But on top of references to the series:

• the relationship between the gang is canon — and then gets strained which made for more interesting story telling than just trying to drop the existing formula into a live action movie

And the scrappy thing was just awesome — that has to be the best joke ever, because he was created to help boost ratings, nobody like/s/d him and at least they could admit this by finding a funny way of weaving it into the plot of the movie.

Scooby Doo and the WWE, the New Scooby Doo Mysteries, Scooby Pup Time Special... when will it end?

Well gang, it looks like we've got a mystery on our hands. :V GHOSTS Should the endless re-imaginings of Scoobert "Scooby" Doo and Mystery Inc. stop. The bad jokes, the not-so-scary monsters and now: the stupid pop culture references (and integration) in an effort to retain some relevance.

Let's take a look:

Scooby Doo, Where Are You?, the original run of Scooby Doo, premiered in September 1969. The formula was simple: Mystery Inc shows up, Ahhh! Real Monsters, run around, Shaggy is a stoner, solve the mystery. It was so popular, that it lasted from 1969... to 1970 :o (in all honesty, it was popular).

So what happened after this pivotal piece of cinema? The same thing as Jeff the Killer — Spinoff Time! (And like every JtK spinoff... /)_- )

The New Scooby Doo Movies featured the Three Stooges, the Harlem Globe Trotters, Batman (and the other one, I guess) and others. It was pretty watchable IMO, because in addition to the original format: show up, Goosebumps, run around, the munchies, solve the mystery — we also got different characters to break up the monotonous crap.

Then The Scooby Doo Show ... never watched it, though I'm sure I'm not missing much.

And then we get everybody's favorite mutant puppy — "Scrappy Dappy Doo!" :eww: in an attempt to boost ratings.

Soon after Scrappy is introduced, we get to a new show lineup, revolving around Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy. It is also in this new lineup that things take a twist: the monsters are real! :o

My opinions on Scrappy aside, I liked: Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School as well as Reluctant Werewolf and the last one I can't remember, where Shaggy's relative leaves a property to him, and it's haunted by General Beauregard (who actually is some doof in a mask — at least the one doing the actual haunting).

*reads Wikipedia* Gah, there's so much of this crap, I'm just ending it around here.

I enjoyed the live action movies and the last animated thing I really liked was Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase.

So what does everyone think: Has Scooby Doo gone on long enough, or do you want moar?

They kept going with it. There was a show a year back called Scooby Doo mystery incorporated. I loved it. I want Scooby doo to keep going as long as it's good and not like scrappy doo.

I don't care one way or the other. It can end, it can continue. It affects me not.

Scooby Doo is probably one of those things that's just going to be around for a very very long time anyway. Like Superman, Batman, etc. Saying it should end is like saying they should stop making stuff based on those two franchises. It can keep being revamped for the modern era with the same formula, for the latest new young audience. A franchise that will go on forever in the form of many revamps, twists, etc. It's just at that level of status at this point.

As for my opinions on it? I can't really stand the original show myself (as I generally can't stand most things from before 1980 and have more modern tastes), but I do like some of the movies. Like the one with the Hex Girls. Those girls are my favorite characters in the entire series, particularly the lead singer because of how pretty she is. And I hear there's another modern series that seems to have some decent story telling and characterization out there. I also remember liking the live action films. 

I never understood the appeal behind Scooby Doo, ever. But just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean there aren't any fans of it. Back in the late 90's, or possibly early 2000's, Cartoon Network held a popularity contest. At the time, the Powerpuff Girls fandom thought for sure they'd win. But PpG came in second. They lost to Scooby Doo. Maybe Scooby Doo's fame precedes the quality of his shows. Maybe Scooby Doo reminds people of a simpler times in cartoon history. Like I said, I don't understand why Scooby Doo is popular, it just is.

Since those days, I've seen Scooby Doo go through many incarnations; live action and animated. I always found it weird that characters who are still teenagers, even in this modern age, still dress in 70's fashion. They always looked out of place to me. Very few incarnations actually tried to address or fix this, like "What's New Scooby Doo".

I don't think it's about how long Scooby Doo has been around, I think it's about the passion that goes into it. I don't think newer shows are made with the same fun and same spirit as some of the old school shows. They are too stuck in gimmicks and artificial means of attracting a crowd. The WrestleMania cross over movie was an interesting idea, but I wouldn't have dedicated an entire movie to it. So far, the best thing with the Scooby Doo title made recently was the Mystery Incorporated cartoon. Maybe one day, Scooby Doo will be better. But I think it needs to take another break for now.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

Scooby Doo was the deal back then.

I heard there was some kind of newer generation show.

I'm a bit indecisive about it since I haven't seen it, but I always enjoy the movies when they appear.

As for the spinoffs. Eh. I don't even know of them so they don't bother me.

• Brohoof 1

The original Scooby Doo was where it was a. Look at Spongebob now or anything else they try to keep alive for too long. I think they possibly should end Scooby Doo its a great show that has stood the test of time but not everything can last forever.

growing up, I loved Scooby Doo, I used to watch it until the mid 2000's but I see some of the new episodes sometimes show up and I think, "what is this show? what have you done to Scooby Doo? oh god this is awful!". I personally enjoyed the animated movies (Cyber Chase, Zombie Island, Witches Ghost, Ghoul School...etc) but now the series is far too much trying to appeal to todays generation, that's an instant fail right there, originality is key! 

Oh my god scooby do is like, the best thing for me as a kid. Heck even the originals were great and I was born 20 years after them. They were so good! The idea was centered around who the bad guy was, an how they done it. Sometimes, they'd have all the evidence clearly pointing yo one, but it being someone else, and even then it makes sense. In fact, the generic...ness of the characters could be a positive, because even today I can't recall the crook of some episodes.

Mystery inc though? No. While I do like the dark edge of it an this whole mystery of who the mystery inc are, I don't like the whole shipping thing. It's really odd. The characters themselves are great, more fleshed out, more personality, but it has two bad thing: Fred's incompetence and Velma. Velma seems to hate Scooby for taking up most of Shaggy's attention, and that doesn't work. I don't Velma as someone who dates a stoner (or me, for lack of a better term). Fred also somehow fails to see that Daphne loves him, because he's so focused on traps. In fact, Mystery inc is regular Scooby doo, but they're all stereotypical teens.

Oh and the live action films were atrocities. Don't watch them.

TL;DR If they can make a Scooby doo like they did "What's new Scooby doo" then kept going.

And make them adults!

• Brohoof 1

Do you reeaally want to know my opinion?

I never liked it and it needs to be starved in a cave from which it came, NO seriously it had a good concept YEARS AGO!

*Sighs* Well that felt good. To be honest years ago yep it was alright but now it has the same ending and same ideas pretty much every normal episode.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, 'Scooby Doo' should end.

I didn't mind them continuing the series for awhile after the original ended, but when I look at some of the episodes from recent years, I just want to face palm.

Do you reeaally want to know my opinion?

I never liked it and it needs to be starved in a cave from which it came, NO seriously it had a good concept YEARS AGO!

*Sighs* Well that felt good. To be honest years ago yep it was alright but now it has the same ending and same ideas pretty much every normal episode.

I agree with you.

Now, the show is just tasteless and tries too hard.

• Brohoof 2

It sucked in 1969, it sucked in the 80s, it really sucked in the 2000s, and it stopped sucking in 2010. Mystery Incorporated was a fantastic cartoon that turned the (not so) classic formula on its head and actually explored what these characters would be like if they weren't just cardboard cutout stereotypes. It had a fresh setting, funny side characters, stunning animation, great inter-personal drama, and an overarching mystery for the ages.

Sure, it was still formulaic, but it knew when to shake things up or lampshade every now and again. Something that previous iterations would rather just live in ignorance of.

It sucked in 1969, it sucked in the 80s, it really sucked in the 2000s, and it stopped sucking in 2010. Mystery Incorporated was a fantastic cartoon that turned the (not so) classic formula on its head and actually explored what these characters would be like if they weren't just cardboard cutout stereotypes. It had a fresh setting, funny side characters, stunning animation, great inter-personal drama, and an overarching mystery for the ages.

Sure, it was still formulaic, but it knew when to shake things up or lampshade every now and again. Something that previous iterations would rather just live in ignorance of.

I liked some of the movie's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNask_pMKo this film was really good and actually scary.

I liked some of the movie's

I liked some of the movie's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNask_pMKo this film was actually scary. I they make a MLP direct to DVD movie it showed be as dark and musical as this

• Brohoof 1

I had actually thought scooby doo had died out, but I guess that's due to the fact that I hadn't watched cable in a while (but when I did there weren't any new scooby doo shows airing, just reruns of a pup named scooby doo and what's new scooby doo at like 10am)

but idk, is it really that bad? i mean it might not be enjoyable to you but it might be to young kids.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL

but idk, is it really that bad? i mean it might not be enjoyable to you but it might be to young kids.

Just saying, you might wanna check the URL of the site you're on before you say that demographics excuse quality. Young kids will watch almost anything you put in front of their faces. That doesn't mean what their watching is good or has any real merit.

scooby doo is still a thing?

i always hated it.  it was terribly boring and everyone in my family ALWAYS wanted to watch it, so i had to watch it or go stare at the wall.  i usually just took the wall.

i did like the movie where they were werecats, and that was it.  lol

and i liked the song from 'a pup named scooby doo', but the show was still boring.

scooby doo is still a thing?

i always hated it.  it was terribly boring and everyone in my family ALWAYS wanted to watch it, so i had to watch it or go stare at the wall.  i usually just took the wall.

i did like the movie where they were werecats, and that was it.  lol

and i liked the song from 'a pup named scooby doo', but the show was still boring.

I am only 19 so I was a kid when I first saw that movie it was epic. IF they make a MLP movie just copy that films plot the main 6 go to a mysteries island just of the cost of Equestria. And have something to do with dark magic

I think it should end. As much as I love Scooby Doo, having grown up with it, I feel it's time it ended. I couldn't stand Mystery Incorporated because it was just... I don't know. The idea of Velma and Shaggy dating and the fact that it was just well... it didn't interest me at all. I mean, don't get me wrong... I love Scooby Doo, but it's just time to let the fandom die.

I think it should end. As much as I love Scooby Doo, having grown up with it, I feel it's time it ended. I couldn't stand Mystery Incorporated because it was just... I don't know. The idea of Velma and Shaggy dating and the fact that it was just well... it didn't interest me at all. I mean, don't get me wrong... I love Scooby Doo, but it's just time to let the fandom die.

I heard that the actor who played Scooby and shaky died with the death of the voice actors I supposes it is a good time to end the series. I can't think of any cartoon where they just replace the voice actors after death

I heard that the actor who played Scooby and shaky died with the death of the voice actors I supposes it is a good time to end the series. I can't think of any cartoon where they just replace the voice actors after death

That's another reason why. While, I know Norville Rogers does a good job with Shaggy... he can't replace Casey Kasem.