Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you suppose Hollow Shades is like?

ManaMinori

For those who don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about, Hollow Shades is a town once mentioned by Apple Bloom, but never explored in an episode. Its on the map of Equestria, though, near Phillydelphia.

Map_of_Equestria_April_2013.jpg

And it just looks intriguing to me. It's a town secluded in the middle of a forest, and the way all the houses seem to be lit up just gives me the impression that even though Celestia raises the sun every day, light just doesn't reach Hollow Shades, so its in perpetual darkness all day, every day, and because its like that, it's residents make it seem like Nightmare Night all the time (lots of pumpkin farms, high praise of Luna, ect), kind of like the Halloweentown in The Nightmare Before Christmas, kinda.

Any thoughts on what this Hollow Shades place might be like?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 4

At least one earth pony lives there.  That is about all we know.

yup. An Apple relative (jeez, how friggin big is their family?)

I have a feeling Hollow Shades might be very much similar to the Cajun pony territory seen in "Somepony to Watch Over Me", or it could possibly be the location in the Season 5 premiere. I don't really know for sure...

@SparklingSwirls' OC is from there. That's as much as I know about it.

how so? We didn't see much of the town in that episode to really know what it was like. (though I think it might've been New Horseleans)

It'd be interesting, I think, if Hollow Shades was the location for the next Nightmare Night episode.

I also have a couple of OC's from there

how so? We didn't see much of the town in that episode to really know what it was like. (though I think it might've been New Horseleans)

It'd be interesting, I think, if Hollow Shades was the location for the next Nightmare Night episode.

I also have a couple of OC's from there

The town of Hollow Shades on the map and the town seen in that episode look visually similar to me. If it would have been a ponified New Orleans, it would have been much larger. Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Probably some Nightmare Night/The Nightmare Before Christmas-style place.

And the hometown of every single grimdark edgy OC ever.

hey, for the record, my "edgy" OC (Suspiria Shade) is from Canterlot. So no, not every grimdark edgy pony OC is made to be from Hollow Shades (for those that actually know of the place)

suspiria_zps4f253754.png

My other brighter colored OC (Fairylace Lights) is from there, though.

• Brohoof 1

The town of Hollow Shades on the map and the town seen in that episode look visually similar to me. If it would have been a ponified New Orleans, it would have been much larger.

The town Apple Bloom visited- past the flame geyser swamp- was out in the bayou with Cajun speaking ponies. If New Horseleans was the territory it was called, I was getting at, that's where they were from. Not the town itself.

But I digress- Hollow shades does seem similar, what with how they're secluded and seemingly difficult to get to, and all

It kind of looks like something you'd see in a Professor Layton game; a secret town where it's always night occupied by the decedents of Fillydelphia outcasts that couldn't stand the city life. They sought refuge and hid away from the rest of society, living independently of the rest of Equestria. Over time, the elders passed on without telling the next generation about the rest of the world. To them, the forest edge represents an impenetrable wall from which nopony returns...

Oh wait, there's a train track coming out of the woods. Well there goes my idea, it was fun :P

• 11 months later...

Hallow Shades looks to be in a town similar to a fairy tail village in the woods. It looks to be ominous though, especially at night. Maybe light never really reaches the town, the map could be indicating. My guess is that perhaps odd characters live there or the batponies.

You ever see Darkshire in World of warcraft? Kind of like that.

A heavily Hoodoo type town, with lots of occult activity happening in the forest outside the city borders, and lots of local shaman/witchdoctor type stuff going on in the town to ward off the outside area's influence.

I'm thinking a Zebra town. Its stated in the book of the two sisters that zebra's live in the everfree forest, and it seems that rather than living in grasslands Zebras in this universe specialize in mixing up potions to protect themselves from evil and monsters, and thrive in living in dangerous forests.
As such, Zebras living in a cursed forest not unlike the everfree forest seems perfect to me.