Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Dark Art of Misquoting!

Gatekeeper Giggle

I didn't know if anyone else knew this, but you can quote something some one said, delete whatever they typed, write whatever you want, and it'll still show them as the ones saying it! While in the past I have only used this exploit for minor hijinks, I can see someone not as good natured as I using this feature to do serious harm to others around the site. Although the original post will be the same, most people don't have the time to go looking through potentially thousands of posts to see the original post, and they'll be tricked into believing the false post.

Don't believe me? As proof I'll misquote anything anyone says in this topic. :umad:  You have been warned.             

• Brohoof 5

What!? What sorcery is this? You must be powerful indeed to preform such a great feat of magic! But seriously, I'm sorry if I caused any trouble by posting in the wrong place. Also, just because I said I would:

I'm a little tea pot short and stout, here is my handle and here is my spout!
Edited by Stormgiggle
  • Brohoof 5

I'm aware of this, and as this is an issue that has existed since the dawn of the quote function on php boards. The programmatic solution to this would likely involve 

1. Image software as an integrated plug-in that converts any text within the below quote tags to be saved and automatically re-posted as an image.

[quote][/quote]

2. Apply an edited by stamp to any quoted text that is 'adjusted in CKEditor. Like below

What!? What sorcery is this? You must be powerful indeed to preform such a great feat of magic! But seriously, I'm sorry if I caused any trouble by posting in the wrong place. Also, just because I said I would:

Text Text Text

Edited by Jeric today at the witching hour

There are other solutions ... and all of the ones that I can think of are not easy to implement. That includes the two items above.

I do not support the ability block the editing quoted. Because of walls of text that make a post unreadable. This is why you see.

snip

Another reason I disagree with this implementing a non stock/hook solution is because I do not think that misquoting is occurring that frequently and would fall under the 80/20 rule easily.

• Brohoof 5

I see. Even so, I believe it to be worth the trouble, because in the wrong hands this little exploit can become very annoying. Also, forgive me for this:

Any problem that you may experience on this site can be solved immediately if you simply throw Fluttershy into a wood chipper.   You can trust me on this, because I'm a moderator. Would I lie?

• Brohoof 1

Ah, well I guess I have my answer then. Still, if you aren't worried, then neither am I! Just one more for the road:

Please ask me about my plaid toilet demon.

Also I'm totally using that "quote" you made about throwing Fluttershy in a wood chipper as my signature. I hope you don't mind  

• Brohoof 4

I can see someone not as good natured as I using this feature to do serious harm to others around the site.

Oh, no worries. You see the little arrow thing on the top right of a quote?

TpZZRB7.png 

Click on it and it'll find the post for you—

b9jVfKO.png

• Brohoof 4

Oh, no worries. You see the little arrow thing on the top right of a quote?

img-3116224-1-TpZZRB7.png

Click on it and it'll find the post for you—

Perhaps, but who has the time to click on every single arrow to make sure every single post was correct? You know that the misquote may not always look suspicious, right?

I completely agree that this is indeed a serious problem, and it must be fixed at once!

, if someone inappropriately misrepresents your words and you don't like it or it causes issues, there is always the option to use this the report post feature of the board. 

UvSQsFd.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Oh quiet your mind I'm not going to report that. :P

However if this becomes an issue in a thread/topic there are a number of conduct based Global Rules that this would fall under. The affected user could report the offender depending on context.

This is more of a policy question than a technical one IMO since there are far too many variables that have to be considered. We already limit DB searching for performance improvement, can you imagine if each time a user hit a quote button it would do a full-text compare between the original text and the quote? People quote like crazy here :wau:

If you are aware of a message board that has implemented this concept ... I encourage you to link it here. I would be curious as to how the user experience is with said system.

And yes, funny misquotes would make a great forum game in the Forum Games section. :D

• Brohoof 2

Oh quiet your mind I'm not going to report that

But wait, you're a mod. Couldn't you take care of it yourself, frontier justice style?

Anyway, I guess this wraps it up for me. All my concerns have been met. You guys can lock this post or whatever it is you mods do with answered questions. But this isn't the last you''ll see of me here. Oh no. I've still got lots of unanswered questions just waiting. Such as:

Why can't we have more emoticons? When someone posts something in a forum I'm following, I don't get a notification, what gives? Sometimes I get this 504 gateway error when I connect to the site, and I know it isn't my internet connection, what's going on? I can't delete a status update I made, why? Why can't you delete your own comments? What's this gold membership, and how do you get it? Where is that chart that with all the different member rankings on it? In advanced roleplays, why does the character count have to be so high? I'm hungry, could you make me a sandwich?           

Edited by Stormgiggle
  • Brohoof 1

But wait, you're a mod. Couldn't you take care of it yourself, frontier justice style?

Most users in the MLPF Staff group are actual pseudo moderators - We can only moderate in certain sections. For example, Jeric and I only have moderation privileges in Site Questions & Tech Support, while Kay Dreamer and Skycoaster only have moderation privileges in the Roleplay section. In another other section, like this one, we're just like you. :P

Why can't we have more emoticons?

We can have more emoticons!

User made emoticons have been added in the past, and if you have any you've made (or have any ideas for emoticons) feel free to post them in the emoticon suggestion thread.

When someone posts something in a forum I'm following, I don't get a notification, what gives?

You might have your notification settings set so that you don’t get a notification for posted topics. You can look at your notification settings here.

Sometimes I get this 504 gateway error when I connect to the site.

This problem should have been resolved - If you're still experiencing it, please make a topic in Site Questions and Tech Support.

I can't delete a status update I made, why?

You can't delete a status update for moderation reasons, but when you click delete the status update will be hidden from everyone else except for moderators.

Why can't you delete your own comments?

What do you mean? You should be able to delete status update and blog comments.

What's this gold membership, and how do you get it?

"Gold membership" is a forum joke started by Shift (at least to my knowledge, please correct me if I am wrong). It doesn't actually exist, nor are you blocked from seeing content because you don't have one.

If you are referring to donating or subscribing, you can read more about that here.

Where is that chart that with all the different member rankings on it?

The chart can be reached by clicking on any member's rank.

In advanced roleplays, why does the character count have to be so high?

The character count is high to encourage quality posts and quality roleplays. If the character count bothers you, you can always go to the regular roleplay section.

In the future, please search the forums before asking questions – Most of these answers can be found with a quick search! :)

• Brohoof 2

I'm hungry, could you make me a sandwich?

I will be happy to address this last question.

, drop bear sammich needed at table 4. :D

• Brohoof 1