Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

I'm going to say $600(not including windows because I'll "handle" that myself"), and I want a Blu-Ray drive that reads/burns DVD/CDs as well. I also know I want at least a Quad-Core CPU running at least 3.2GHz

I'll probably hunt-down an actual store to buy parts from(I live within two hours of Des Moines, so it shouldn't be hard) 

Would you care for the ability to oc the cpu?

Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all along - as long as I don't take interest in any further The Sims titles or other PC titles I don't have to worry about upgrading. And that's why I like it that way.

Oh yeah, here's something that came to mind. Have you ever thought about trying out emulators like Project64 or Dolplhin? You definitely have the PC for Dolphin.

Oh yeah, here's something that came to mind. Have you ever thought about trying out emulators like Project64 or Dolplhin? You definitely have the PC for Dolphin.

I refuse to mess with emulators. They're illegal, and I'm not cool with that.

You seem far too dead-set on selling PC gaming to me. So far that you suggest I illegally play console games on the PC. Just stop it, please. This conversation is clogging up your "PC gaming master race" topic for absolutely no reason. PC gaming is not for everyone. Let it go.

You seem far too dead-set on selling PC gaming to me. So far that you suggest I illegally play console games on the PC. Just stop it, please. This conversation is clogging up your "PC gaming master race" topic for absolutely no reason. PC gaming is not for everyone. Let it go.

It's not illegal if you actually own the game (then it's a backup copy), but fine. Whatever you say.

• Brohoof 1

If you don't care for pcgaming why in the name of GabeN are you in the thread?

If you don't care for pcgaming why in the name of GabeN are you in the thread?

I was going to stop posting here with that post, you know! =P

Recently I ordered a new PC to be able to run The Sims 3 plus all Expansion Packs so I thought it was appropriate to post the specs here, and that's how the conversation above got started. =/

Recently I ordered a new PC to be able to run The Sims 3 plus all Expansion Packs so I thought it was appropriate to post the specs here, and that's how the conversation above got started. =/

Ahh I see. Fair enough then. 

The ability to do so later when I need it would be nice, but i don't want one that I have to OC for it to be decent. 

Any i5 or i7 K-series unlocked CPU is plenty strong enough even without an OC.

I would highly recommend an FX-9590 OC'd if you like volcanoes, though.

Any i5 or i7 K-series unlocked CPU is plenty strong enough even without an OC.

I would highly recommend an FX-9590 OC'd if you like volcanoes, though.

I'm not sure going intel would be in my $600 budget if I want anything decent.

I'm not sure going intel would be in my $600 budget if I want anything decent.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xd7hYJ

I didn't include storage or an optical drive. If you aren't bringing anything from another PC, you can add that in. I think it's still possible to do it, just need to shop around a little bit.

Ultimately though, it'd depend on what you would consider to be decent enough.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xd7hYJ

I didn't include storage or an optical drive. If you aren't bringing anything from another PC, you can add that in. I think it's still possible to do it, just need to shop around a little bit.

Ultimately though, it'd depend on what you would consider to be decent enough.

I still thinking a cheaper, but comparable AMD might be better(and I'm probably going to go really damn cheap on the case)

I still thinking a cheaper, but comparable AMD might be better(and I'm probably going to go really damn cheap on the case)

FX-8320 would probably be a good buy. Most of them seem to overclock easily to 8350 speeds, so you might as well take the $40 or so saved and stick it into the GPU or something. I wouldn't go too cheap on the case though, especially if you plan on upgrading things like drives and GPUs in the future. There's a lot to be said about well designed cases and tool-free bays that IMO aren't worth skimping out on to save $10 or so.

FX-8320 would probably be a good buy. Most of them seem to overclock easily to 8350 speeds, so you might as well take the $40 or so saved and stick it into the GPU or something. I wouldn't go too cheap on the case though, especially if you plan on upgrading things like drives and GPUs in the future. There's a lot to be said about well designed cases and tool-free bays that IMO aren't worth skimping out on to save $10 or so.

I found a case for $20 once that was decent(I'm willing to do extra work if it saves money)

That looks like a decent chip(eight-core running at 3.5GHz doesn't look to shabby).

How good is that GPU you linked?

• Brohoof 1

I found a case for $20 once that was decent(I'm willing to do extra work if it saves money)

That looks like a decent chip(eight-core running at 3.5GHz doesn't look to shabby).

How good is that GPU you linked?

750 Ti is a strong contender in the sub-$150 category. It should be good for around 30fps in Crysis 3 on high settings at 1080p or BF4 on ultra, 1080p. It also has the benefit of being very power efficient and not requiring an auxiliary power connector.

The R7 265 is slightly more expensive and offers better performance, but the 750 Ti does give you certain other things (of which you may or may not care about) like CUDA and PhysX.

If you're willing to spend more, the GTX 760 would be a sizable step up at around $200ish.

750 Ti is a strong contender in the sub-$150 category. It should be good for around 30fps in Crysis 3 on high settings at 1080p or BF4 on ultra, 1080p. It also has the benefit of being very power efficient and not requiring an auxiliary power connector.

The R7 265 is slightly more expensive and offers better performance, but the 750 Ti does give you certain other things (of which you may or may not care about) like CUDA and PhysX.

If you're willing to spend more, the GTX 760 would be a sizable step up at around $200ish.

What kind of boost what I get turning down AA or dropping to 720p?

60fps shouldn't be a problem at those resolutions on these cards.

Might work then, I shouldn't really need higher than 720p on a 23" screen like I want to get(I've got that budgeted separate) and those are pretty beefy games. 

For what it's worth, I know what you're talking about. I used to play TS3 tons and having a system with enough power to handle it made it far less of a chore when the game wasn't loading the game for half an hour or tripping over itself trying to view your glorious mansion.

Which makes me wonder how TS4 has so many damn load screens.

For what it's worth, I know what you're talking about. I used to play TS3 tons and having a system with enough power to handle it made it far less of a chore when the game wasn't loading the game for half an hour or tripping over itself trying to view your glorious mansion.

Which makes me wonder how TS4 has so many damn load screens.

Is TS4 as much of a resource hog as I heard? One site said it had absurd system requirements for what it is.

Looked those up, that CPU/GPU Combo is getting 60FPS on Skyrim on Ultra and 1080p so it can't be to bad a combo:

Is TS4 as much of a resource hog as I heard? One site said it had absurd system requirements for what it is.

Looked those up, that CPU/GPU Combo is getting 60FPS on Skyrim on Ultra and 1080p so it can't be to bad a combo:

It isn't. I'm pretty sure it's actually less demanding than TS3. It's just the overabundance of load screens that happen when you do anything in the game. They seem to take forever even on SSDs. I haven't personally tried it (not for $60), but that's pretty much what the general consensus is other than the lack of pretty much everything which I'm sure you've heard before.

It's a pretty good combo. I recommended the same card to Sunbutt a few pages back. So long as you're not looking to max Crysis or delve into 1440p gaming, it should be fine.

Yes, it'll run the Sims.

• Brohoof 1

It isn't. I'm pretty sure it's actually less demanding than TS3. It's just the overabundance of load screens that happen when you do anything in the game. They seem to take forever even on SSDs. I haven't personally tried it (not for $60), but that's pretty much what the general consensus is other than the lack of pretty much everything which I'm sure you've heard before.

It's a pretty good combo. I recommended the same card to Sunbutt a few pages back. So long as you're not looking to max Crysis or delve into 1440p gaming, it should be fine.

Yes, it'll run the Sims.

I might go with that set then(I just need to find a parts store nearby, not because I want to get and transport it myself if I'm going to by expensive and delicate stuff like PC parts)

From what I've read the 750 Ti becomes a little sketchy in running the later The Sims 3 Expansion Packs. That's why I avoided it and went with the Radeon R9 270X instead.

And you know, if it has potential problems running those later TS3 EPs, I can't imagine what it would be like for games that PC gamers play.

Edited by Envy

From what I've read the 750 Ti becomes a little sketchy in running the later The Sims 3 Expansion Packs. That's why I avoided it and went with the Radeon R9 270X instead.

And you know, if it has potential problems running those later TS3 EPs, I can't imagine what it would be like for games that PC gamers play.

Seems more like an optimization issue than anything else. It runs Crysis and BF fairly well and those are among the more intense and popular PC games. 270X is without a doubt faster, but that along with the comparable GTX 760 are around $200-250.

• Brohoof 2

So, I think I'll go with the GTX 750 and FX-8320(I'll call those to things $300 total for the purpose of budgeting it out because that should be what that run in a parts store once you account for not paying shipping)

Thanks guys. I just need to find a cheap motherboard, PSU, ram, case(if none of the messes I have around here work), HDD, and Blu-Ray drive on the other $300 now. I also have $150 or so budgeted out to spend on a monitor because it shouldn't even take that much to get a 1080p, 23".  

Actually, that video I posted was of the 750 owning Skyrim with everything cranked up and at 1080p. I can't image something like a Sims game giving it trouble for any reason other than poor optimization. 

• Brohoof 1