Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

@@Shobonihere's a pretty good AMD mobo for under $90. Doesn't have the greatest power phases out there, but running the 8320 in the low-to-mid 4GHz range should be just fine. As for the monitor, I'd recommend the Acer H236HQL. It's a 23.6" version of my monitor (Acer H226HQL, 21.5") priced at $130 and regularly goes on sale for less, which considering how it's an IPS monitor is amazing.

• Brohoof 1

@@Shobonihere's a pretty good AMD mobo for under $90. Doesn't have the greatest power phases out there, but running the 8320 in the low-to-mid 4GHz range should be just fine. As for the monitor, I'd recommend the Acer H236HQL. It's a 23.6" version of my monitor (Acer H226HQL, 21.5") priced at $130 and regularly goes on sale for less, which considering how it's an IPS monitor is amazing.

Thanks, I'll write that down. is that MSRP or do I need to round up to $100 for part-store prices?

You sure on the screen? I only found one place for $170.

Thanks, I'll write that down. is that MSRP or do I need to round up to $100 for part-store prices?

The monitor? Seems to be a Best Buy-only deal right now actually, got the MSRP confused with the H226HQL. I'd recommend grabbing it asap if you want a good IPS monitor.

As for the response time, it's 5ms, which is pretty good if you don't need a super-fast response time.

The monitor? Seems to be a Best Buy-only deal right now actually, got the MSRP confused with the H226HQL. I'd recommend grabbing it asap if you want a good IPS monitor.

As for the response time, it's 5ms, which is pretty good if you don't need a super-fast response time.

No, the mobo. I was wondering if it would be more like $100 if I bought it from a parts store instead of online. 

I could only find the moniter you listed for $170 and I'm looking at more like a $150 limit(far less if I can)

No, the mobo. I was wondering if it would be more like $100 if I bought it from a parts store instead of online. 

I could only find the moniter you listed for $170 and I'm looking at more like a $150 limit(far less if I can)

Oh. Yeah, it is. Never really seen it above $100. As for the monitor, here it is for $130. As I said, I confused it with the MSRP for the H226HQL, this is a sale price.

Oh. Yeah, it is. Never really seen it above $100. As for the monitor, here it is for $130. As I said, I confused it with the MSRP for the H226HQL, this is a sale price.

I have no way of getting to a Best Buy at the moment, or I would. 

On that note, happen to know of a good parts store without a couple hours or so of Ottumwa, IA?

I have no way of getting to a Best Buy at the moment, or I would. 

On that note, happen to know of a good parts store without a couple hours or so of Ottumwa, IA?

It has free shipping, is buying it online an option?

No I don't :\

It has free shipping, is buying it online an option?

No I don't :\

My funds aren't secure until I finish school in about a month and know no nasty surprises aren't coming up, that I'm new to buying ANYTHING online and don't really want to get something that expensive that way. The most I've spent on one thing that way is $50(and that was for a box of cards, something I knew wouldn't get broken in transit) 

My funds aren't secure until I finish school in about a month and know no nasty surprises aren't coming up, that I'm new to buying ANYTHING online and don't really want to get something that expensive that way. The most I've spent on one thing that way is $50(and that was for a box of cards, something I knew wouldn't get broken in transit) 

Ah, I see.

Just looked up MicroCenter since they usually have good deals on PC parts, they do NOT have a store in IA. Sucks.

Ah, I see.

Just looked up MicroCenter since they usually have good deals on PC parts, they do NOT have a store in IA. Sucks.

I might go with best-buy, there's one in Des Moines and prices don't look to bad.

What's the difference between these, and would getting the cheaper one be a bad idea or not?

post-6903-0-76277900-1412721153_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

I might go with best-buy, there's one in Des Moines and prices don't look to bad.

What's the difference between these, and would getting the cheaper one be a bad idea or not?

attachicon.gifScreenshot (830).png

The 750 Ti is faster as it's essentially a souped up version of the 750 graphics card. I'd recommend finding something cheaper like this 750Ti here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= especially as this is a FTW kind (it's been oced by manufacturer). I'm surprised to see that 750 Ti card priced at 200$ while only having 2GB of memory.

If it's not within your price range, you may wish to consider keeping that 750 card you wish to have.

Edited by Nuke87654

The 750 Ti is faster as it's essentially a souped up version of the 750 graphics card. I'd recommend finding something cheaper like this 750Ti here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= especially as this is a FTW kind (it's been oced by manufacturer). I'm surprised to see that 750 Ti card priced at 200$ while only having 2GB of memory.

Like I said, I'm iffy ordering(because then I also have to wait longer)

• Brohoof 1

attachicon.gifScreenshot (830).png

All right.

750 has 1GB GDDR5 and 512 CUDA cores, 750 Ti has 2GB GDDR5 and 640 CUDA cores. So, a bit more power and an extra gigabyte of RAM. 750 Ti also has a slightly higher TDP at 60W (750 is 55W) and a 6.4GB/s higher memory bandwidth at 86.4GB/s. Otherwise, both are the same, based on the same PCB even (Ti variants of cards usually have something extra to differentiate themselves from the "normal" variant of the card, but use the same PCB as the "normal" variant.)

Keep in mind that these are based on the reference specs from geforce.com, but things like CUDA cores don't vary between manufacturer to manufacturer. Usually just things like coolers, clock speeds and sometimes RAM, although afaik all 750 Tis have 2GB VRAM.

• Brohoof 1

Like I said, I'm iffy ordering(because then I also have to wait longer)

Understood, which if you wish you can keep your goal in getting that 750 graphics card as it will handle your needs for gaming for a few years.

As Daring posted, with those specs and the price, I'd suggest you keep the 750 card as having only a slight performance increase isn't going to justify that 40$ price difference

Edited by Nuke87654

All right.

750 has 1GB GDDR5 and 512 CUDA cores, 750 Ti has 2GB GDDR5 and 640 CUDA cores. So, a bit more power and an extra gigabyte of RAM. 750 Ti also has a slightly higher TDP at 60W (750 is 55W) and a 6.4GB/s higher memory bandwidth at 86.4GB/s. Otherwise, both are the same, based on the same PCB even (Ti variants of cards usually have something extra to differentiate themselves from the "normal" variant of the card, but use the same PCB as the "normal" variant.)

Keep in mind that these are based on the reference specs from geforce.com, but things like CUDA cores don't vary between manufacturer to manufacturer. Usually just things like coolers, clock speeds and sometimes RAM, although afaik all 750 Tis have 2GB VRAM.

Is both having 2GB a misprint on BBs site?

What MB would you suggest from BBs site?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=mother+board

What MB would you suggest from BBs site?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=mother+board

Is both having 2GB a misprint on BBs site?

Just looked at PCPartPicker, there are a few 750s with 2GB RAM. PNY doesn't make one of those cards, so yes, it's a misprint.

As Daring posted, with those specs and the price, I'd suggest you keep the 750 card as having only a slight performance increase isn't going to justify that 40$ price difference
Ehhhhh, 1GB is really pushing it for gaming these days, especially in resolutions like 1920x1080. I'd say an extra gig of RAM is worth it. For a HTPC, 1GB RAM is perfect. For gaming, though, 2GB is preferable.

Just looked at PCPartPicker, there are a few 750s with 2GB RAM. PNY doesn't make one of those cards, so yes, it's a misprint.

Ehhhhh, 1GB is really pushing it for gaming these days, especially in resolutions like 1920x1080. I'd say an extra gig of RAM is worth it. For a HTPC, 1GB RAM is perfect. For gaming, though, 2GB is preferable.

Well never mind as I just read the top part. I'll go find a 2 GB 750 on there.

Edited by Nuke87654

What's this, then? 

http://www.pny.com/gtx_750_ti_2048mb_oc_pcie

I actually see quite a few:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS539US539&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pny%20gtx%20750%202GB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-900-series-ga-970a-ds3p-rev-1-0-desktop-motherboard/1308503149.p?id=mp1308503149&skuId=1308503149&st=am3+%20motherboard&cp=1&lp=5#tab=buyingOptions Also here's a motherboard I've found on best buy that may suit your needs.

The first link is a 750 Ti. I've checked their PNY website and they do not sell a 750 with 2 GB memory.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-900-series-ga-970a-ds3p-rev-1-0-desktop-motherboard/1308503149.p?id=mp1308503149&skuId=1308503149&st=am3+%20motherboard&cp=1&lp=5#tab=buyingOptions Also here's a motherboard I've found on best buy that may suit your needs.

The first link is a 750 Ti. I've checked their PNY website and they do not sell a 750 with 2 GB memory.

I wonder if the number is wrong, or if it IS a Ti and they used the wrong picture and title. 

These also seem to be options:

post-6903-0-93695800-1412723317_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Mine's pretty outdated.

AMD FX8

GTX 560Ti 

14G RAM (odd number, right?)

1TB Hard Drive

Corsair 900W Power Supply.

Stock HP Pavillion tower (lol)

But hey, there isn't any game today i can't run.

Edited by VoxPolice
  • Brohoof 1