Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

On that. You don't really need to upgrade much anymore. Intel maxed out their CPU performance a few years ago and while there still is some more power to squeeze out of a GPU, it's become an upgrade you do every 3 - 5 years, so even if you built a PC 5 years ago you're still, for the most part, good today.

Plus i have a really big complaint about consoles. Example. Kingdom F*%#n Hearts. In order to play the whole thing you  need not one, not two, THREE CONSOLES. THIS IS BLOODY RIDICULOUS FOR YIFFS SAKE! RIPOFF!!!

• Brohoof 1

• 3D-Booster X Core i7 3930K (6x3.2 GHz) 16,0GB DDR3 1600MHz, ASUS P9X79 1,0TB HDD, DVD-RW, 600Watt Corsair
  • Intel Core i7 3930K (6 x 3,2GHz) Six Core Sockel LGA 2011, 12MB Cache, QPI 6.4GT/S, 130W
  • Watercooling Corsair H50, Corsair Hydro Series H50
  • 32,0 GB DDR3-RAM (8x4,0GB) 1600MHz Vengeance (2011)
  • 128 GB SSD Crucial M4 SATA 6 GB/s / MLC / 415MB/s read, 175MB/s write
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 TI 3GB, GDDR5
  • ASUS P9X79 (Sockel 2011)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
  • Corsair TX850W, 850 Watt/ Output 70A / efficiency 80% / 14 cm fan / SLI, CrossFire / 80PLUS certified
  • Cooler Master HAF X Black big tower

Setup (except the Graphic card) is around 3 years old.

• Brohoof 1

On that. You don't really need to upgrade much anymore. Intel maxed out their CPU performance a few years ago and while there still is some more power to squeeze out of a GPU, it's become an upgrade you do every 3 - 5 years, so even if you built a PC 5 years ago you're still, for the most part, good today.

Needing to upgrade the video card is the very pressure I don't want to have to deal with. Initially I thought that was all I really needed to upgrade to run The Sims 3 really well, and it was all very much a frustrating pressure back then.

• Brohoof 1

Needing to upgrade the video card is the very pressure I don't want to have to deal with. Initially I thought that was all I really needed to upgrade to run The Sims 3 really well, and it was all very much a frustrating pressure back then.

With higher-end cards, it's become almost entirely optional in most cases. Some of my friends are still on cards from 2007 or 2008.

And you sure you need a super high-end rig for The Sims 3? Because I'm on a laptop and The Sims 2 runs just fine on my integrated graphics... then again, so can a lot of other games from 2004. And the resolution is capped at 1600x900 so there's that too.

• Brohoof 1

Nice MSI laptop you have. Specs of this sweetboy and the mouse?

Oh I forgot to post that!  :muffins: 

Computer: MSI GE70 20E

• Windows 8.1
  • intel core i7
  • GeForce GTX 765M
  • 12 GB (upgraded) 
  • Back lit LED keyboard
  • Anti-glare 17.3 LCD screen
  • Super RAID w/2 SSD RADI0
  • Killer E2000 gaming network

Mouse: Red Dragon - Mammoth laser gaming mouse

• Up to 164000 DPI
  • 12000 FPS
  • 1000 Hz polling rate
  • 30G acceleration & Avago sensor 
  • Omorn micro switches
  • 8-piece weight tuning set
  • And color customizable LEDs

If you're willing to pay a premium to take your power on the go... :)

Yup!

Its not much compared to what everybody else seems to be posting but, it gets the job done.

I do actually have a desktop but, I have not upgraded or touched that thing in years... so... yeah... I use my laptop now. lol  :lol: 

Im just too lazy to upgrade my desktop.

• Brohoof 2

What would be a good entry level pc monitor full 1080p and 120hz? Also, for connecting my pc to monitor, would hdmi suffice, or do I need a special cord?

What would be a good entry level pc monitor full 1080p and 120hz? Also, for connecting my pc to monitor, would hdmi suffice, or do I need a special cord?

I don't have one myself, but I hear good things about the ASUS VG248QE. Another popular choice is the BenQ XL2411Z.

HDMI or DP should be fine. If you use DVI, it needs to be dual-link, pretty sure.

• Brohoof 2

I don't have one myself, but I hear good things about the ASUS VG248QE. Another popular choice is the BenQ XL2411Z.

HDMI or DP should be fine. If you use DVI, it needs to be dual-link, pretty sure.

Sweet, I'll look into that. Also, why do intel i5s and i7s say you can overclock to like,3.8 GHz, but everybody I know has a gaming pc can oc to like 4.5 GHz?

Sweet, I'll look into that. Also, why do intel i5s and i7s say you can overclock to like,3.8 GHz, but everybody I know has a gaming pc can oc to like 4.5 GHz?

The quoted numbers refer to the Turbo Boost clocks. Based on power and thermal conditions, the processor will adjust its operating frequency up to its advertised Turbo Boost clock on one or more cores. If you have an unlocked K-series CPU (or a board that lets you overclock locked CPUs), you can adjust this number. For example I have mine set to 4.1 GHz on all cores as the "Turbo."

Whether or not you can get to 4.5 GHz depends on how lucky you get with your chip. Some chips don't need any extra voltage to get to 4.3 or 4.4 easily, while others can't get past maybe 4.2 without extra voltage, a little or a lot.

• Brohoof 2

The quoted numbers refer to the Turbo Boost clocks. Based on power and thermal conditions, the processor will adjust its operating frequency up to its advertised Turbo Boost clock on one or more cores. If you have an unlocked K-series CPU (or a board that lets you overclock locked CPUs), you can adjust this number. For example I have mine set to 4.1 GHz on all cores as the "Turbo."

Whether or not you can get to 4.5 GHz depends on how lucky you get with your chip. Some chips don't need any extra voltage to get to 4.3 or 4.4 easily, while others can't get past maybe 4.2 without extra voltage, a little or a lot.

Thanks for the help, I'm still new to PC gaming and all I have is an HP with an AMD APU that clocks at 2.5 GHz, that turbos up to 3.5 GHz. It's good for some games, but I'll be happy when I have my first build.

• Brohoof 2

Thanks for the help, I'm still new to PC gaming and all I have is an HP with an AMD APU that clocks at 2.5 GHz, that turbos up to 3.5 GHz. It's good for some games, but I'll be happy when I have my first build.

No problem :) Feel free to ask me or anyone else on here if you have any questions while building your new system. Once you do, you'll never go back to prebuilts.

• Brohoof 2

No problem :) Feel free to ask me or anyone else on here if you have any questions while building your new system. Once you do, you'll never go back to prebuilts.

I might not even go back to consoles.

Well,  I'll play consoles for the exclusives, but PC will most likely be my main source of gaming. And I can actually take full advantage of steam sales :D

• Brohoof 1

I might not even go back to consoles.

Well,  I'll play consoles for the exclusives, but PC will most likely be my main source of gaming. And I can actually take full advantage of steam sales :D

Speaking of Steam sales, I recommend http://www.cheapshark.com/ for keeping track of sales across different digital stores, because unlike consoles, you actually have a choice which store you wish to get digital downloads from.

Also, don't forget the indie bundles and free Steam key giveaways: http://www.bundlehq.com/ in case you ever wanted to buy tons of games on the cheap to pad your Steam library for no other reason than to watch the list get longer.

What have I done... :comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

With higher-end cards, it's become almost entirely optional in most cases. Some of my friends are still on cards from 2007 or 2008.

And you sure you need a super high-end rig for The Sims 3? Because I'm on a laptop and The Sims 2 runs just fine on my integrated graphics... then again, so can a lot of other games from 2004. And the resolution is capped at 1600x900 so there's that too.

Does what I ordered even count as a "super high-end rig"? Because I seriously doubt that.

It's not fair to compare The Sims 2 here. The Sims 3 requires A LOT more than The Sims 2 because The Sims 3 has an open world. The Sims 2 you played and ran one household at a time. In The Sims 3 it's different. The whole neighborhood is loaded at once and the game processes what happens to each and every family in the neighborhood while you play your household.

The game is also poorly coded, so it requires even more to run anywhere near perfectly.

I built the PC around that because I have had such a horrible time playing it, I want to play it like it should be played. And as I said, I don't ever want a reason to ever even think about wanting to upgrade, so I won't mess with other PC series. Consoles are where the games are at for me. This PC was a major investment for me in terms of how much I care about PC gaming. That is I have spent way over enough and *definitely* don't want to spend anymore.

Edited by Envy

Does what I ordered even count as a "super high-end rig"? Because I seriously doubt that.
 You said you had an R9 270X, right? That's still gonna be good for a few more years. Maybe even as long as 8 years, as the GeForce 8800 GT (a GPU from 2006!) is still supported by a lot of games, including (get this) Battlefield 4.

It's not fair to compare The Sims 2 here. The Sims 3 requires A LOT more than The Sims 2 because The Sims 3 has an open world. The Sims 2 you played and ran one household at a time. In The Sims 3 it's different. The whole neighborhood is loaded at once and the game processes what happens to each and every family in the neighborhood while you play your household.   The game is also poorly coded, so it requires even more to run anywhere near perfectly.
Hmmm... good point.

I built the PC around that because I have had such a horrible time playing it, I want to play it like it should be played. And as I said, I don't ever want a reason to ever even think about wanting to upgrade, so I won't mess with other PC series. Consoles are where the games are at for me. This PC was a major investment for me in terms of how much I care about PC gaming. That is I have spent way over enough and *definitely* don't want to spend anymore.
Well then if you don't want to upgrade then... don't upgrade unless you absolutely have to. The game magically won't become more demanding over time.
  • Brohoof 1

I've never particularly cared for loyalty to specific consoles. That applies to PC as well. What you're playing on matters little, it's all about the games for me. I will admit that the ease of use of consoles draws me in but if I had a PC that ran most games with the click of a button too it wouldn't matter nearly as much.

I'll always prefer controller to Keyboard and Mouse though. Feels far more comfortable and my hands don't feel like they're gonna miss a key and hit escape or something. I don't actually know if all PC games are compatible with controller or just ones made with the functionality.

Now that I'm done being a contrarion.... :lol:

PC-exclusive games I like:

Planescape: Torment

Treasure Adventure Game

Flash games in general

PC games I wish to own:

Recettear (sp?)

Other D&D games akin to Planescape.

• Brohoof 1

I'll probably get a PC first, then a PS4 and WiiU later on once there's more cheap games in the second-hand market for Console exclusive stuff.  

Just number a budget and we'll help if you need it.

Just number a budget and we'll help if you need it.

I'm going to say $600(not including windows because I'll "handle" that myself"), and I want a Blu-Ray drive that reads/burns DVD/CDs as well. I also know I want at least a Quad-Core CPU running at least 3.2GHz

I'll probably hunt-down an actual store to buy parts from(I live within two hours of Des Moines, so it shouldn't be hard) 

Well then if you don't want to upgrade then... don't upgrade unless you absolutely have to. The game magically won't become more demanding over time.

Well, yeah, that's what I've been saying all along - as long as I don't take interest in any further The Sims titles or other PC titles I don't have to worry about upgrading. And that's why I like it that way.