Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony Annual 2014 Review

Jonquil Earthpony

Hi every pony  :smug:
i bought the My little Pony Annual 2014 and i thought it was awesome  :please:  so i'm here to share my opinions and see what other people think of this comic. 

to start with I really love the way the comic was drawn; the details like the shadows are very well done and looks more "gritty" than the normal artwork.  :muffins:
The plot was quite good and the power ponies designs were very interesting as they kind of look like the mane 6 but are unique looking still. The only thing i wish they did more was to develop the personalities of the power ponies a bit better because they are similar to the mane 6  :confused: ( not that the mane 6 are bad just wanted to see more distinct different personalities)  :P

anyway those are my thoughts sorry if my review is a bit hazy. Like to see what you guys think of the MLP annual 2014 comic.  ;)  B) 

MLP_Annual_2014_Power_Ponies.png

• Brohoof 1

Despite the massive controversy surrounding the issue, I found it rather enjoyable but not amazing. I personally found the villains and their interactions more interesting as they differed in personality from the mane 6 (and I really wanted to see more of the Maneiac and the Phony Pharaoh). The art was well done, with some interesting reaction faces, but the issue with the issue (hue) was a flaw that most pony media shares, and that is lack of substance. Outside the gags and references the issue really didn't have any weight, but seeing how FiM fails at doing emotionally weighty stuffs quite often I do not see it as a major negative in this issue. I found it fun and care free and enjoyed the issue itself, even if I will never be legitimately acquiring it due to the issues that arose from it later. post-23625-0-82304800-1413139094_thumb.jpg

Also, the maneiac sub issue felt like a cereal box printed commercial for EqG.

Edited by M'aiq the Liar
  • Brohoof 1

how was the issue controversial ? 

In the comic are panels featuring two background characters, each representing people notorious for stereotyping and bashing bronies. One of them is a ponysona of Cuteosphere/DragonDicks (an anti-brony misandrist who advocated violence against males).

Ted Anderson initially apologized for the incident, but then went behind IDW's back by posting in the Round Stable, not only pulling his apology back, but also agreeing with their sexist opinions and advocating them openly. Then there's the possibility that Ted Anderson signed a contract forbidding him from using fanwork as inspiration in any way, shape, or form (similar to the DHX writers' clause). If that's true, Anderson deliberately disobeyed IDW and Hasbro. This resulted in getting Ted Anderson possibly fired from IDW.

You can read it all in @'s journal here and my response to the drama. There's also a whole thread about it here.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

I personally think the comic was a great Idea! I found the cheesiness humorous and the ending made me laugh my head off, I just LOVED it. Then again I find it hard to not like any thing that's MLP, I understand that the Ted Anderson situation was a big deal to most and what not but here's my outlook, did his inappropriate actions actually taint the COMIC? Because I admit I look through my copy of the comic and found no actual direct vulgar or inappropriate pieces in the comic. I admit ted anderson is a complete dumb ass for what he did and deserves whats coming to him but seriously the comic is just fine, and I think people need to open their eyes more to the actual big picture of IDWs MLP comics because if you think that's horrid well take a look at the other crazy crap that's happened. I personally find this stuff humorous and don't have a problem with it because I'm not so uptight about this stuff but I see this as a lot worse than ted andersons actions.

Issue 3 page 13

Now thats ISSUE 3! one of their first issues, I dont see any uproar about this and can you imagine how many little kids got this comic. I think its funny but really.... A LOT worse than Ted Andersons crap

post-29804-0-24394300-1413570641_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1