Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Do you think Frozen is overated?

Alex Z

I do feel as though Frozen was overrated and I do not know why. I enjoyed the movie as well but in my own personal opinion, there are other animated films that I have enjoyed more. My own opinion aside, I think what made the movie Frozen so popular was a few things. First, it is a well known fact that in terms of gender, more females than males are drawn towards animated/ casual films. Ask a girl: want to watch UP or The Departed? Seven Brides For Seven Brothers or Transformers? 

That said, the sister to sister relationship depicted in the movie won over a fair number of women as that was one of the main aspects of the film. Secondly, a lot of movie goers (especially the younger audience) like a ditsy goofy comic relief character like the snowman. In Ice Age, a lot of people liked Sid the Sloth more than any other character not to mention the squirrel who particularly always made me laugh. Lastly, I remember when the movie first debuted, they were showing it for free. Absolutely free. So already you're going to have a large audience with that.

Again, these are just my own thoughts, perhaps others think differently. 

No foreshadowing of hans?! There WAS foreshadowing, but it's so subtle, you wouldn't have nocticed the first time!

Edited by WiiGuy2014

"Based on"? No, No,No! The end credits said "Inspired by Hans Cristian Anderson's The Snow Queen" NOT "Inspired". Based means following the story. Inspired means getting a idea from it. You can hate the movie, but Please keep the facts of the credits given striaight

Sorry, my mistake. Still, it probably would've been better overall if it was based on The Snow Queen.

(Also, I don't hate the movie. I just don't like it much.)

No foreshadowing of hans?! There WAS foreshadowing, but it's so subtle, you wouldn't have nocticed the first time!

There really isn't. I'm pretty sure I would've noticed if there was. In fact, he even gives a genuine smile to Anna when her back is turned - and aside from mentioning that he's the youngest of his brothers, there's little to no reason for his ambitions.

This isn't some adult horror film in which everything is subtly and intricately placed. It's a kid's film. Even just a camera shot of him smirking, rather than smiling like he did, would've been plenty enough foreshadowing that his ambitions were less than innocent, but there's nothing like that to be found in the film.

There really isn't. I'm pretty sure I would've noticed if there was. In fact, he even gives a genuine smile to Anna when her back is turned - and aside from mentioning that he's the youngest of his brothers, there's little to no reason for his ambitions.

This isn't some adult horror film in which everything is subtly and intricately placed. It's a kid's film. Even just a camera shot of him smirking, rather than smiling like he did, would've been plenty enough foreshadowing that his ambitions were less than innocent, but there's nothing like that to be found in the film.

I mean like in the song Love's an Open Door, he was going along with whatever Anna said. Check out this page http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fridge/Frozen

and use the the Find function (Ctrl+F) to find moments of fridge brilliance, horror, and logic in the film. Type "Hans" to narrow it down to moments involving the character Hans and the author of the original fairy tale Hans. Spoilers will be covered until highlighted!

Over-hyped was a much better word for this topic...I said it's ONE of the greats, but not the ONLY great!

new here...

anyways this movie while I didn't see it in theatres I waited to see it way after the hype had died down on my laptop, and while I do think that the movie is the greatest thing in the world like people say that it is, I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean the parents death was almost hilarious in how not subtle and totally predictable it was. like they just blew through it cause you knew the parents were gonna die in it, so why not doing it quickly with a 2 second scene. other than that, this movie broke a lot of typical disney tropes that had grown really tired over the years, it was more about sisterly love, there was no real definite bad guy except the jerk prince at the end but other then that as far as princess movies go it focused a lot more on the conflicts between sisters.

of course this was not the first story to do this as they had mulan. so it really shouldn't be seen as the harbinger of breaking the mold but it is very solid and well executed.

I think it's a little overrated, but I still saw it as competent from beginning to end. They seemed to have changed scripts halfway through (or something), and there are some questions I have about it, but I still see it as entertaining and a bit refreshing. I liked the songs in general and the characters, especially Olaf (probably because I'm a Pinkie Pie fan). The other thing I'll say is just because it isn't perfect or super hyped does not automatically make it overrated.

I've only watched it once, and I thought it was a great film. I can tell you the soundtracks are what people really enjoyed (not necessarily the plot), which makes people think that fans overrate the movie in general.... Crap I don't know how to word this :wacko:. Sorry if I confuse anyone :unsure:.

Yeah, it's pretty damn generic, story wise. And Let It Go isn't even that good, but people made it out to be like TEH BEST SONG EVARZ. And the fanart on DA for months after it came up, for fuck's sakes. There was so damn much. I can't imagine why it's so popular. Tho I do think I know why people loved Elsa so much, and that's entirely do to her looks+ice powers.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, thank god. I thought I was the only one. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but by the time I had gotten around to watching it; it had been so over hyped that it couldn't possibly meet expectations and all I could take away from it was disapointment. The whole movie was spoiled by rediculous expectations. I was also decidedly underwhelmed by "Let it go" having heard countless versions on repeat whever I went.

I personally preferred Tangled and Wreck it Ralph to Frozen (I still love it though), I cite these two as they're similar animation styles and didn't receive the same hype as Frozen. In terms of all Disney movies, I personally would place Frozen very low/if at all in a top 10 list.

Edited by Guest

It's definitely not the greatest movie in the world... it could be better, but it's not bad. Maybe a little overrated here and there, but I can understand why- good songs, hawt princesses, cute sidekick characters, some unexpected twists; a lot to like there really. :wacko:

I think Frozen was good

and had a lot of good

themes any can learn from

but its been so over fanned

its lost it magic for some

of us...

• 2 weeks later...

Let me make this clear, I have nothing against Frozen. I actually think it's a great movie. Although the fans are REALLY annoying me. I get it, it's a good movie and people really like it. But I'm tired of seeng it everywhere. It's ridiculous that people are still obsessed over this movie a year after it was released.

i've heard of frozen alot but i've never seen it

i've never listened to let it go

i take precautions to protect my mind from mainstream garbage.