Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Windows 10 Tech Preview - Anypony else using it?

Feather Grass

You could run them in compatibility mode if you haven't tried already, if not then have fun with Windows Defender! 

It is probably stable because maybe it is based on Windows 8.1? I'm not sure how they built this but I am probably right anyway. Most of their older OS where based from NT.

Yep, 10 is based on 8.1.

I like bagels

You could run them in compatibility mode if you haven't tried already

Running Antiviruses in Compatibility mode is not advised since it is not reliable to do so. Besides, Windows actually prevents me from launching them.

As for me, not for at least a year yet. Just bought a brand new custom machine and have only just barely got used to 8.1. I hear windows 10 tries to revert back to classic windows layout but still... The dreaded tiles are still there.

Yes, but they are now totally optional and the "real" Start Menu is back.

Edited by boiteporte

(edited)

Windows 10... Huh. Getting real confusing with these OS names, Microsoft. Was there any reason to skip out 9 other than just to be awkward?

As for me, not for at least a year yet. Just bought a brand new custom machine and have only just barely got used to 8.1. I hear windows 10 tries to revert back to classic windows layout but still... The dreaded tiles are still there. 

Also it's still in beta so I'd at least wait for a public release.

According to a microsoft developer there is alot of old programs that check for Windows 95/98 using this code

/* * The MIT License * * Copyright © 2004-2009, Sun Microsystems, Inc., Kohsuke Kawaguchi, Stephen Connolly * Copyright © 2009 Robert Collins * * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy * of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal * in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights * to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell * copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is * furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: * * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in * all copies or substantial portions of the Software. * * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN * THE SOFTWARE. */package org.jvnet.hudson.plugins.platformlabeler;import net.robertcollins.lsb.Release;import hudson.remoting.Callable;import java.util.HashSet;class PlatformDetailsTask implements Callable<HashSet<String>, Exception> {    /** Performs computation and returns the result, or throws some exception. */    public HashSet<String> call() throws Exception {        final String arch = System.getProperty("os.arch");        String name = System.getProperty("os.name").toLowerCase();        String version = System.getProperty("os.version");        if (name.equals("solaris") || name.equals("SunOS")) {            name = "solaris";        } else if (name.startsWith("windows")) {            name = "windows";            if (name.startsWith("windows 9")) {                if (version.startsWith("4.0")) {                    version = "95";                } else if (version.startsWith("4.9")) {                    version = "me";                } else {                    assert version.startsWith("4.1");                    version = "98";                }            } else {                if (version.startsWith("4.0")) {                    version = "nt4";                } else if (version.startsWith("5.0")) {                    version = "2000";                } else if (version.startsWith("5.1")) {                    version = "xp";                } else if (version.startsWith("5.2")) {                    version = "2003";                }            }        } else if (name.startsWith("linux")) {            Release release = new Release();            name = release.distributorId();            version = release.release();        } else if (name.startsWith("mac")) {            name = "mac";        } else {                // Take the System.properties values verbatim.        }        HashSet<String> result = new HashSet<String>();        result.add(arch);        result.add(name);        result.add(version);        result.add(arch + "-" + name);        result.add(name + "-" + version);        result.add(arch + "-" + name + "-" + version);        return result;    }}

and refuse to install the program.

Hence they skipped a number so older software using that code can still work,

Edited by Feather Grass
  • Brohoof 1

Windows 10... Huh. Getting real confusing with these OS names, Microsoft. Was there any reason to skip out 9 other than just to be awkward?

They used Windows 10 because the code "Windows 9" was to be for Windows 9X OS such as: 95; 98.

Windows 10? They lost me with Windows 8 and that tablet/phone looking setup for the main menu. I ordered my new PC with Windows 7 and don't regret it!

Edited by Envy

So I have been running Windows 10 on my Main Machine for a few months now. I am starting to enjoy it quite a bit.

attachicon.gifWindows 10.png

Anypony Else using it?

SIR, I DO BELIEVE THAT I SEE GUNDAM. >w>

...but no, I'm not using it just yet. I feel like I'll just wait for the full release, especially with how freaking RAD it looks right now. Well done, sir.

• Brohoof 1

(Man, I hate replying to forums where the initial topic got de-railed.)
Anyway, I'm using Windows 10. I actually downloaded it the day the Pre-Release was open because I am an early adopter and love getting new stuff like this. 
There's really only two problems I am facing. 

Since I have three monitors, I cannot use the snap feature on my middle monitor (Unless there is a certain way to do it and I just don't see it)
I also find the search charm and the search bar in the task menu to be very slow, both in boot-up and during the actual search.

• Brohoof 1

I believe they could have skipped nine because they wanted the next windows to be better so windows 10 could be the one to fix peoples problems with the start screen and I do agree, they should be doing it for free as an upgrade to existing windows 8 users.

I believe they could have skipped nine because they wanted the next windows to be better so windows 10 could be the one to fix peoples problems with the start screen and I do agree, they should be doing it for free as an upgrade to existing windows 8 users.

They already updated Windows 8 users to Windows 8.1 for free.

They already updated Windows 8 users to Windows 8.1 for free.

No as in the windows 8.1 to windows 10, buying a brand new operating system is just going to be stupid since windows 10 is practically the same thing. 

No as in the windows 8.1 to windows 10, buying a brand new operating system is just going to be stupid since windows 10 is practically the same thing. 

Just because a new Windows operating system is released, doesn't mean you don't have to buy it.

*cough*Apple*cough*

Just because a new Windows operating system is released, doesn't mean you don't have to buy it.

*cough*Apple*cough*

Sorry to start being a little off-topic which is never a good thing, Apple is a little expensive don't you think?. 

Sorry to start being a little off-topic which is never a good thing, Apple is a little expensive don't you think?. 

It is, I have no idea why they charge stupid amounts of money for a laptop whereas you could get one for much cheaper with better specifications. Apple is just useless junk for Hipsters.

(Man, I hate replying to forums where the initial topic got de-railed.)

Anyway, I'm using Windows 10. I actually downloaded it the day the Pre-Release was open because I am an early adopter and love getting new stuff like this. 

There's really only two problems I am facing. 

Since I have three monitors, I cannot use the snap feature on my middle monitor (Unless there is a certain way to do it and I just don't see it)

I also find the search charm and the search bar in the task menu to be very slow, both in boot-up and during the actual search.

I adopted it day one also ^^ (Grabbed it at midnight because my contries Microsoft wanted to do a midnight release of the Pre-Release) I just use the search in the start menu.

• Brohoof 1

There is a rumour that Windows 10 will be released for free to anypony with a Windows 8 serial key.

Better start stealing the serial keys from school.

I actually did this at one point LOL