Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the appeal of MLP? (not hating)

terrywood4

FIM is a show that has strong female centric characters. Most of the protagonists are female characters. They don't adhere to stereotypes, so only one is boy crazy and fashion. Most stories tend to revolve around daily life with some dramatic season premieres and finals.

Compared to cartoons today, there isn't really any other strong female cartoons like that around. It's either one of those high school themed drama cartoons or a goddess with constant personal issues.

Sorry, but I can't let THAT pass without comment. :okiedokielokie:

I'm not 100% sure if you were trying to imply this or not, but Rarity isn't stereotypical, either. Thus far, she has expressed a romantic interest in two (possibly three, counting Fancy Pants) stallions. She hardly qualifies as "boy crazy", even given the general lack of romance in the series. As for the fashion aspect, that's pretty much her JOB. And she doesn't just blindly follow fashion, she sets trends as a extremely able fashion designer, whose talents are frequently recognized by important figures in the industry of which she is a part.

In fact, she's pretty much a stereotype turned on its head to produce something unique.  :D Another reason why the show is good.

• Brohoof 1

I like it cause the magical element to the show, and it actually have characterize and personality. Its kind of like of a girly adventure time  with ponies. I also I like shows and movies with strong female authority in it.

Sorry, but I can't let THAT pass without comment. :okiedokielokie:

I'm not 100% sure if you were trying to imply this or not, but Rarity isn't stereotypical, either. Thus far, she has expressed a romantic interest in two (possibly three, counting Fancy Pants) stallions. She hardly qualifies as "boy crazy", even given the general lack of romance in the series. As for the fashion aspect, that's pretty much her JOB. And she doesn't just blindly follow fashion, she sets trends as a extremely able fashion designer, whose talents are frequently recognized by important figures in the industry of which she is a part.

In fact, she's pretty much a stereotype turned on its head to produce something unique.  :D Another reason why the show is good.

Rarity is a character that can be obsessive and goes above and beyond to impress, rather it's with fashion or boys. Which is more limited in FIM. That's what generally the stereotype tends to revolve around, obsession and impression.

Edited by Singe

Rarity is a character that can be obsessive and goes above and beyond to impress, rather it's with fashion or boys. Which is more limited in FIM. That's what generally the stereotype tends to revolve around, obsession and impression.

When Rainbow Dash obsesses and goes above and beyond to impress the Wonderbolts with her physical ability, does that make her a stereotypical "jock"? When Twilight obsesses about her studies and goes above and beyond to impress Princess Celestia, does that make her a stereotypical "genius"? When Pinkie Pie obsesses and goes above and beyond to impress with parties, does that make her a stereotypical "genki girl"?

Having certain traits in common with a stereotype doesn't make a character a stereotype unless those traits make up most or all of their personality. Rarity does occasionally show those traits, but there's so much more to her character. And this is only about the boy thing, mind you. The fashionista stereotype follows fashions for the sake of fashion, not because they are trying to make a career in the field, and they certainly don't create their own fashion and try to anticipate trends, both of which things Rarity does. She is no more a stereotype than any of the other ponies I listed above. :)   -_-  ^_^

Anyhoo, maybe we should continue the discussion via PM, since it's a bit off the topic of the thread. 

@@Celli, what am I, chopped liver? Ghostie, bless him, isn't the only one who is willing to defend Rarity from unfair criticism.  :P

• Brohoof 4

Hard to say, really. It has this... charm that I can't describe. I've been a fan for almost three years, and I've always been devoted to the show. I've had my ups and downs, but I've always considered myself a fan for its charm and its eccentric fanbase.

I didn't become a brony from the show itself, but from all the beautiful fan art and music inspired by the show.  I used to be a big time anti-brony, in fact.  I decided to watch a few episodes, and found that some characters had very interesting personalities and have this mental conflict with themselves (i.e. Luna and Twilight) which makes for excellent character development, something you can't find in most kid's shows these days.

I used to be an anti-brony like you, until.....

I want to say this.... 

But truth is, I'm the opposite. I fell at once when the first time I saw them. Maybe because I was raised by anime.....

Edited by Osiria

I tend to take a liking to the show (and the fandom) for a few reasons to be perfectly honest with you

the writing

the characters

loving/innocent but still a good show

relatable characters

meaningful lessons

humorous but friendly

good animation

the fantasy

and if you plan to watch any I would watch the first episode (part one and part two) or the final of season four both extended episodes show a fair few of the traits. :)

I don't actually watch the show, but I love the character design. I collect a lot of the small blind bag toys (minus the glitter ones) because they look so nice. I can't bring myself to buy any of the large Funko ponies because they did such a terrible job with them. Nothing stops me from buying a toy more than bad seam lines and terrriiiible paint jobs... and the fact that they didn't bother cleaning the large sculpts before molding them so they still look like unfinished wax prototypes 100% ruins it for me. 

But on a lighter note, the artwork/stories in the comics are also really cute. 

Ooh, you better watch out,  @ghostfacekiller39 will come in and blow your points away :D

Seriously, though, There's more to Rarity than just obsession and impression.

Edited by Celli

I'd say I like the positive atmosphere that the show gives off and how relateable the characters are. But to be real with you? It's just plain fun for me to watch, and I like SoL type shows as long as the characters within them are dynamic.

Nobody is going to convince you to like the show even with the most convincing of arguments. You're not going to think that the characters are great just because I said so, and there's a chance that you won't think so when you actually watch it. The episode that hooked me into the show personally was Sonic Rainboom because of the fact that it made a character that up until then was pretty flat, Rainbow Dash, into a rather dynamic, three-dimensional character and showed she had legitimate insecurities and fears herself. But a lot of episodes you can just pick up at and start with. I actually do not recommend starting with Season Finale episodes or the Return of Harmony, though, mainly because those tie up a story arc and they're more potent if you already know the characters (in Return of Harmony's case, mainly the latter).

- Not cutsie & condescending like most girls' cartoons

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a show being 'cutesy'. I feel no shame in saying that part of the reason I like this show is because it's cute and girly.

• Brohoof 1

I'd like to add, the show has a perfect mix of static and ambiguous characters.  You've got the static characters, like Celestia with her always kind, motherly nature and Cadence with her always kind, sisterly nature, whom, I guess you can say, "help" the ambiguous characters like Luna, with her insecure-jealous-guilt-sadness-yearning-kind-motherly nature, and Twilight, whom is grateful for being given the status of "princess", while also doubting her role as "princess".  *Brohoof for using all 4 princesses!!*

Sorry if I'm a little confusing, I kinda do video analysis for a living at the moment and, it's pretty complicated.

What drew me in was the style of the show. It's pretty unique and I like it!

The characters have depth.

The songs are awesome.

It's not some cliche kid's show.

• Brohoof 1