Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could use a change of voice recording equipment...

RandomSelect

Hi guys! Do you know what good equipment and software to use when voice recording? Any suggestions and recommendations? Because I’m one of those on-the-go types, I’m currently using my smartphone as a recording microphone and Audacity as software when it comes to music and getting rid of background noises. Thank you.

• Brohoof 2

I record with an MXL990 large-diaphragm condenser microphone and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, with either Magix Music Studio or Ableton Live 9 Lite as my software. It's best to use a condenser microphone whenever you can, because they usually result in higher-quality audio.

Audacity works fine, though, as software. If you're not doing anything too fancy, just recording your voice, Audacity is a solid tool.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Audacity is, in my opinion very useful, if used correctly.

If you're looking for on-the-go, then the Samson GoMic may be a good idea. It's relatively cheap, and it really portable and small. It comes with Cakewalk Music Creator LE. The mic runs for 35 USD on Amazon.

If you wanted to, you could go all-out and get yourself a ZoomH2n, which is also portable. It comes with Steinberg Wavelab 8 LE. This mic runs for 160 USD on Amazon.

I've had a blast with both of them, and both are amazing microphones. If you're doing mainly commentary, just go with the GoMic. If you're going for commentary and music recording, go with the H2n.

There are many other mics in-between these price ranges that will do just the job you want. For instance, the AudioTechnica 2020, which is a well-known popular mic that runs for 130 USD, or the AudioTechnica 2500(I have this one too, it's a pretty good mic, though not fantastic imo), which is usually overlooked, but almost has the same quality as the 2020, for half the price (66 USD). 

Make sure to read reviews, learn about Frequency Response, and use this website: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

Have fun!

Best,

Krenton

Edited by Krenton

• 1 month later...