Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony is an overrated cartoon.

Zenoctilles

82 users have voted

1. 1. Is MLP:FIM overrated?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe just a little bit

Alright, I'm gonna provide a few points about why I believe that My Little Pony is not overrated

1)People would be enthralled by the idea of such an odd aged fandom for a little girls show but in the end would you join a group of people who love something that you do not? Curiosity is one thing but becoming a fan of a show just based on the odd fanbase is something entirely different.

2)My Little Pony is a cartoon that brings us back to our past, nostalgia favourite cartoons. Most of the cartoons you have posted up there are all olden cartoons, created a while back. After those cartoons, the level and imagination of most animations and cartoons has drastically declined. The show is fantastic because it is the only cartoon I know at the amount that has the ability to compete for a place on the list of best overall cartoon show. Most cartoons these days are very bland, cheap laughs and meh animation but this show is based in the same manner as the older, fantastic cartoons.

3) Uh...have you seen the way we are portrayed on the internet? We're certainly not "rose-tinted" by other groups and communities. In fact, we are viewed pretty poorly by a lot of people. A lot of people classify us as homosexuals and creepy, crazy weirdos because of the show we watch. In the grand scheme of things, we are viewed more through darkened, abysmal glass then rose-tinted glass.

There are fan communities for older cartoons? These older cartoons were young once and I wouldn't be surprised if their fanbase began in the same way that ours has begun. My Little Pony is not overrated, it is a cartoon show that has decimated the competition for its time. Its animation is fantastic, the storyline is great and the fanbase is made up of people who want to be there, not just people who want to feel a part of something special. I would gladly fight for the right to say that My Little Pony is not overrated.

These, in addition to the OP are some valid points, and it basicly comes down to personal opinion and perspective as far as I am concerned.

As for myself: I started to watch the show back in the end of January when I first heard about the Bronies. When I first heard about them I thought it was strange, but that I had no reason to judge them. I watch old cartoons and movies from time to time and I know that artstyle doesn't dictate quality. But, I had no reason or wish to involve myself with the fanbase, even after I had watched all the episodes that had aired by the mid of March(IIRC).

However, I came in contact with some bronies and I decided to give the fandom a try and I have stayed open and brony since. I guess my point is that I already thought it was an excellent show with good writing and interesting characters quite a while before I even had an interest in joining the fandom.

I the show overrated? Maybe, at least the way some people present it, but to me it is and have always been an excellent cartoon with clever writing and characters that have inspired an intersting and productive fandom.

• Brohoof 1

i have be come in love with the characters. it has nothing to do with being apart of some movement. it's because i love each individual character in there own special way and that's why i'm a fan. i love them they tug my heart strings in a way all the shows the op named never will (in fact angry beavers and invader zim i absolutely hate) i has nothing to do with being apart of something bigger it has to do with being in love.

and just so you know im being far this is one show i like more than MLP and that's the office.

also i hate courage some of the shows the op named are horrible in fact the only one i actually do like is hey Arnold and i like that show alot

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The foundation of the fandom is the quality of the show. MLP is excellently animated, brilliantly voice acted, has great stories and plot-lines (not pony ass you dirty cloppers, you), and character development and interaction that is pretty much unrivaled by any other cartoon out there.

However, it goes WAY beyond that. There are countless elements that draw all of us to the show and the fandom. One element that we don't like to admit is the irony. It's sickeningly sweet that a show meant for little girls, which are stereotypically very low quality and cheap, is this entertaining to a fully grown man. But that is just one thing...

Bronies have built a fandom based around a show and a meme that has created some pretty brilliant stuff. Fan fiction, EDM, original animation, and many other types of media abound within the MLP fandom.

The fandom has its own memebase site, an incredibly popular blog, many different forums, a web radio show, a fanfic site, and even its own social network. Being a brony means that you are a part of a loving community that shares a common trait and a common interest. But, possibly because of the nature of the show (I mean come on, It's about brightly colored ponies learning about the principles of friendship), and possibly for many other reasons, the brony community is stronger than any other fandom.

And THAT's why we love the show so much. And that doesn't necessarily make it over-rated. It just means that we have appended a greater meaning to something that was already amazing.

All this being said, I'd like to further expand my reasoning on why the show much more than an "above average" cartoon.

Animation: Even "Adventure Time," which is touted to be basically one of the best and most popular modern American cartoons, cannot even touch the animation quality of MLP. There's a certain quality that MLP has that most other cartoons don't have.

Voice acting: With this one, I can make superlative statements and not feel bad about it. The voice acting in this show FAR surpasses that of ANY other children's cartoon. Tara Strong is one of the most brilliant voice actors in the whole industry and the other actors are just as talented.

Music: David Ingram is a BOSS. The musical numbers in the show are absolutely fantastic and wonderfully orchestrated.

Mechanics wise, MLP far surpasses almost every other kid's cartoon on television right now.

Plotting and Story: Each episode is plotted excellently. All the scenes are tight and conclusive, and the rising, climactic, and falling actions fit perfectly into the thirty minutes. Each story is interesting and fits in countless different references that keeps the minds of the older audience thinking. Every episode provides something new and awesome.

Theme: The morals and themes of each episode are obvious, but true. Each ep is able to remind you of lessons that you have been learning all your life further drive them home. The small children that watch this show are going to be better people in the long run because of the lessons about social interaction and ethics that they learned from this show.

Character development and interaction: This is where MLP really shines. The interaction between the characters rivals that of even many live action shows. Each member of the mane six have contrasting personalities that really drive the stories and provide for excellent character development and interaction. Even the secondary characters have very defined personalities that help to move the story.

All in all, the story telling of MLP is absolutely fantastic and very much worthy of praise. That, combined with the mechanics of the show, makes for a show that far surpasses the quality of most other shows like it.

And thus we see, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is not an over rated cartoon.

Edited by sirseansy
  • Brohoof 2

Not really, I hear people whine about the 90s too 24/7(and I was born in '94 the death of Cobain -.-) and they get lots of attention too dude, difference is it's easier to accept Hey Arnold and Rocket Power then My Little Pony. I hear people talking about Adventure Time a lot also. It's just people really like to express what they love. Or most of the time. First time I ever saw MLP was when someone spammed my Facebook fan page.I don't believe in overrating really. It's just a bunch of people that like the same stuff for whatever reason dude, but it's just my opinion on the matter dude.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

You people are backwards. Friendship is Magic isn't overrated. There are just many other cartoons over there that are underrated. There are a few more shows that should have droves of fans like FiM.

Edited by BetaWolf
  • Brohoof 3

In the past few weeks, I've come to question my fascination with My Little Pony more and more. To this end, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. My Little Pony became popular only because people were enthralled with the idea of being a part of a fan community that surrounded a media franchise that shouldn't have had such a big fandom (outside of little girls and women in their 30s and 40s) to begin with.

2. My Little Pony is a good cartoon, but not a great one. I can easily name a few other cartoons which exceed it in terms of writing and characters: The Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Invader Zim, Hey Arnold!, Courage: The Cowardly Dog, and even Lauren Faust's own Powerpuff Girls.

3. The way the Internet blew up My Little Pony is one reason why so many people view it through rose-tinted glasses. The show is good, but not that good. Perhaps the vibrant fan community makes people think differently, but from an objective standpoint, My Little Pony is an above-average cartoon at best.

To this end, My Little Pony is overrated. Why don't other similar fan communities erupt for old cartoons? Oh right, because they have failed to become memes like MLP!

Until now, I have been hesitant to post in this thread. I've thought about how to counterpoint your arguments, but I have concluded you are right..... right for yourself, but wrong for many fans including me. What I mean is, each person has his/her own opinion about this show, and there is more than one right answer. For you, I guess you joined the forums and became a Brony out of irony alone.

For me, I became a Brony because I legitimately love the show. In fact, I love the show so much that it changed my outlook and saved my life. So for me, this show is underrated.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think MLP:FiM is overrated. I found out about it from Smosh, when they were making fun of it and its fans, and I decided to see why they were making such a big deal out of it. And when I watched it, I loved it! Only later did I find out it was a meme and stuff. I love MLP and I don't think it's overrated at all!

I don't think it's overrated at all. When I started watching it I certainly wasn't concerned with being a hipster brony or anything like that, I legitimately enjoy it. It's a cute show, with a lot of strong characterization. The animation, though flash, is superb and looks very organic. The music is also worthy of Disney animated movies in my opinion because they're so catchy!

• Brohoof 2

Until now, I have been hesitant to post in this thread. I've thought about how to counterpoint your arguments, but I have concluded you are right..... right for yourself, but wrong for many fans including me. What I mean is, each person has his/her own opinion about this show, and there is more than one right answer. For you, I guess you joined the forums and became a Brony out of irony alone.

For me, I became a Brony because I legitimately love the show. In fact, I love the show so much that it changed my outlook and saved my life. So for me, this show is underrated.

good call. I like this statement the most...

right for yourself, but wrong for many fans including me.

I don't think it's fair to paint us all with the same made-up brush. This forum is nice, but I could walk away from the fandom right now and still enjoy watching it (reruns included) for eons. Several people in this forum have said this before so I won't claim this is an original thought...

I may be branded a Brony but all-in-all I am merely a huge FiM and MLP fan...period. I found this show through my wife well before I knew of the fandom. Only then did I enter the fandom to discuss FiM and MLP with other fans. I don't plan on it but if I lost my head and got banned from here tomorrow I would still watch the show over and over and over

• 1 month later...

Agreed with you. The show is all giggles and goofs. And im not really a die hard fan just watch it to kill time once a while. Heck i wouldn't call myself a brony just a cartoon lover.

Im here because i had fun when i joines with this forum. The thing in the end are pretty much the spammers and people shoving it in others throat. Go ahead slit your wrist for mlp. But not the world has to know. It's oriented for girls and alot of people just act proud and make excuses that its acceptable for them to watch; it is, but its still a show oriented to girls.

Really the worst part is... Most of the pegasisters/bronies wont realise they do it. I like you guys/gals. But mlp is overrated... Truly there are shows wich are better but unacknowledged. I love samurai jack it has basically the same animating style but i dont see ehm... Girls + Samurai Gamurai's all over the web. ( Boys show girls love. ) Everyone has their opinion but if someone doesn't want to hear it don't tell them.

MLP;FiM is an okay animated show. But people use this mostly as their excuse. Well heck many shows with the same or better styles out there.

Personalities: Sure we can sometimes relate to

Shyness cockiness stressing partyness(?) being stuck up or not accepting help. But... Do you find the answers to all your problems in a show? Its fun to relate... But agian mlp is just a show. Many shows stories heck even games have this.

What im saying is mlp is just a show... Wether you clop are a furry or are a dude that has tons of things in his rooms from mlp. It's the way you are and it's you're opinion. Aslong as you dont bother others with it the shouldn't bother you.

Conclusion; It's all opinions. Mine is that it is overrated. And if you dont like it you can ignore it... Or can you? Some people get quickly annoyed or feel am urge to react and many other motives... They get labeled instantly as troll? Sorry but this community has trolls too with a sniff of hypocricy.

Nowgood day to you ladies n djjjjjjentleman.

i agree totally that FIM is overated however, I do still think its a amazing cartoon. Also it is totally better than the shows op listed. Overall its a great show but some people just really blow it out of preportion.

*Sees thread about MLP being Overrated on a MLP Forum*

"Time to get the popcorn."

Anyways I will say that there are many other cartoons that are more overrated than people think FiM is(Adventure Time, for an Example.). Plus the show has changed a few peoples lives for the better so it's Ok in my book to be "Over-rated."

We're not sure about anyone else but we watch cartoons on a daily basis. Watching My Little Pony on the Hub Channel was no surprise for us and we fell in love with it the first episode.

For those that did watch My Little Pony on the Internet through popularity, that should be considered a good thing rather than something being overrated. People can understand and watch the same show that other people enjoy and can feel free to talk about to that community.

If you think the show is overrated, then you can feel free on moving about your business and talk about the list of shows you mentioned above.

*Sees thread about MLP being Overrated on a MLP Forum*

"Time to get the popcorn."

Anyways I will say that there are many other cartoons that are more overrated than people think FiM is(Adventure Time, for an Example.). Plus the show has changed a few peoples lives for the better so it's Ok in my book to be "Over-rated."

Adventure Time is really good. We like the show very much and they do re-runs of it a lot! Can't get enough of Adventure Time.

Edited by sᴜᴍᴍoɴᴇᴅ

i liked the show before i knew there was a fanbase, i didn't even know it existed until this year. I saw a few cartoons thought it was good. then stumbled upon the community. which just made me like it even more, not the reason i liked it before.

I have a feeling the thread author is a little embarrassed...

Edited by Rainbow Dashey

I would disagree My little pony is different to all the other series of today (exception of Adventure time and Regular show that are great ones) each character has his own personality and that is one of the good reasons for my little pony isn't overrated.

MLP, when compared to the crap on nowadays, yes is better then most of what you'll see

but compared to the stuff when I was a kid, no... probably not the best

though think of the stuff in the early to mid 90s it would have had to compete against

(and naturally there wouldn't really be any bronies as the internet wasn't a mainstream thing yet)

that and I don't think shows can take the same risks shows could when I was a kid

people are much more vocal and bitchy these days

maybe because they are more connected, I donno

It is overrated, just like most musicians and movies, but that doesn't stop them from being good, like the Beatles, the original StarWars trilogy, etc.

And, I think the best part of MLPFIM is the community. Many would agree on that.

Edited by Teh Boi
  • Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Please don't bite my head off for saying this, but as a fan of MLP I have to admit that it's one of the most overrated tv shows I've ever seen, and that there are other shows that I think are far better, some of the shows that I think are better than MLP are:

Supernatural

Rosario + Vampire (deserves way more attention than it gets)

Girls Bravo

South Park

The Avengers: Earths mightiest Heroes

Doctor Who

Woverine and the X-men

Ultimate Spiderman

Teen Titans

Merlin

Futurama

and Family Guy

Edited by Dr. Love
  • Brohoof 1