Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Challenging myself with humanized ponies, assistance and critique requested.

paradoxical

I'm working on making the Mane 6 in a humanized comic type form.

But I'm making a challenge for myself in each stage -- preferably something that has to do with the character itself.

I'd like some ideas for challenging myself with Fluttershy and Applejack.

Challenges are spoilered for those who don't care/

I did not allow myself color as that would be cheating.

1st was Rarity fabulous_from_face_to_base_by_zunicornna

All the pretty women in comics tend to be tiny.  So rather than making a tiny one I wanted to make a somewhat voluptuous one.  [though not a tiny one with a large chest, or an Ursala type either.)  This would emphasize her attractiveness through fashion, not merely how she was born.

Then Pinkie

humanized_pinkie__by_zunicornnation-d8eg

I'd been thinking about using a totally off the wall base for a torso, and the idea of a heart appealed to me.  I saw the hairline and realized that her face could be equally made into a heart so both her head and body are hearts.  Which fits because [to me] she is the heart of the Mane 6.  I found out from this that the problem with heart bases is that they can't be shown easily in 3/4ths view in that it squeezes their body oddly.

Then was Rainbow Dash

rainbow_dash__setting_the_pace_by_zunicoI don't feel I fully succeeded here but the challenge was tough.

As the athlete of the group I wanted to give Rainbow Dash an athletic build -- you know the type -- a top-heavy triangle base.  But, I also wanted to keep her feminine.  I might have worked with the heart base, but I knew the problems there were its [near?] inability to be seen in the 3/4th view.  The feminine athletic build may be even greater without getting into too much detail for a cartoon style.   From the front she looks like a guy.  Even giving her back problems due to need for a reduction is tough to pull off and at some point doesn't work right anyway..   Any pointers on how to do this one better would be appreciated

Then Twilight Sparkle twilight__oh_look__a_book__by_zunicornna

the focus here is on her mind.  Not the total focus, but I wanted a brainy character who looked feminine.  Just like RD, This proved difficult.  On the one hand, it's a girl, and it's Twily, but on the other hand; what's going on with her head!?  Does it really portray her as the brainy scientist or is it just big.  And it's really not going to work as feminine unless she has anime eyes and pinkie sized smile!

I need ideas for Fluttershy and AJ. 

I was thinking of a frightened picture of Fluttershy, but I don't want to make it something which is so focusing on her negatives.

As for AJ the only thing I'm thinking of is a reprise of Rainbow, but different setting. 

Last point I learned.  Cartoons -- unless they avoid focusing on putting the stereotype in the body will remain sexist as long as there are these stereotypes for body types.  Something which [for example] explains why super-heroines always look so . . . erm healthy.  They need it to offset their athletic builds or they will look like boys. 

• 2 weeks later...

powerjack_by_zunicornnation-d8fjq8d.jpg

That pose was the challenge  I've messed up that one leg, but all in all it's pretty good.  Unfortunately, (for this piece) the cartoony Pinkie and Dash are better in many ways.

fluttershy_human_by_zunicornnation-d8fjp

Fluttershy's distinctiveness was tough enough that I was satisfied in the end.  I had wanted to make a dress which was made from butterflies, but my shading just made it look like a cutie mark mash-up