Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you be up for a more close quarters fight scene?

Drunkfrank

So with s5 looming closer, I am really hoping that the big epic stories continue with action packed scenes, ever sense Twilights Kingdom, I wanted to see more battles and fight scenes with the ponies, and sense Twilight is much weaker in her normal state than with all da princess power, I would LOVE to see more epic close and intense fight scenes.

If you are wondering a little bit of what I mean, basically I would love if they had a fight scene like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQSvD1pKis#t=37

I would still want big DBZ fights to though :P

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but not too many. I think 1 big fight scene (like Twilight vs Tirek, which was awesome) per season is already enough.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is above all a happy and lighthearted show with slice-of-life episodes.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, but not too many. I think 1 big fight scene (like Twilight vs Tirek, which was awesome) per season is already enough.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is above all a happy and lighthearted show with slice-of-life episodes.

True and not true, in no way do I want this to be a anime style show with massive fights every other episode, I meant strictly for season premieres/finales.

MLP is not nor was ever intended to be, a mostly slice of life show, the vision was always to seamlessly blend relateable characters and create adventures for them to go on, with Slice of Life episodes thrown in as well

Only if it's appropriate. I loved the Tirek vs. Twilight scene, but not all enemies have to be dealt with like that. Remember Twilight dealing with Sombra's intelligent system of traps and dark magic? That was a joy to watch to, and I hope we get more intelligent villains in the coming seasons. :D

That depends. 

Will the mane five be reduced to utter helplessness again so that Twilight can shine? 

Will we see the characters we love reduced to the point where they're attempting to kill out of bloodlust? 

Will the fight scenes ultimately have no purpose to the plot whatsoever except for the sake of making bronies fangasm? 

If the answer to any of the above questions is "yes", I would kindly say....

F*** NO!!!  :okiedokielokie: 

I think things like this should be a treat and not something i would like to watch every episode.

For example, if you save up your money to go to a very expansive restaurant, which has the best service, the best food, the best everything and you go there and say "this was one of the best dinners i had in my life." You remember this, because it was a treat, that you can't do everyday.

Now, if you are very rich and you go there pretty much every evening, with the same service and food and everything, things are not so special anymore and you take it as the most normal thing in the world and maybe even boring.

If we have a big and epic fight scene, sure, maybe one episode in a season, but not something that should be a standard, because the standard of the show are the slice of life stories and i like to watch these the most.

• Brohoof 1

Possibly. I could see something like that Suyin-Kuvira fight transpiring between a member of the Mane 6 and a pony villain. In fact with Twilight's new role as the 'Princess of Friendship' it's quite likely that such confrontations and thus fights may occur.

But I agree with several other posts here that too much violence and battling would distract from the other aspects of the show.

I'm pretty much going to agree with what just about everyone said, that it would be nice if only used very sparingly. I think that something like that would be shown when there is no other option or if a character is backed into a corner and loses control. We don't really see characters lose control and have at it like that, and I think if handled properly, it would served to add more dimension to them. I think it would be interesting to see Twilight's reflection on that fight; whether she felt justified and was fighting with righteous fury, or if she felt horrified and she lost control in her rage.

Not personally. If I see one in the frequency of like, once a season, that's fine, but I don't really like MLP for being action-y and violent. I like it for the characters and the lighthearted fun :muffins: Probably why I'm not too big on the bookends for the seasons, with the exception of "The Best Night Ever" :please:

• Brohoof 2

That's a definite "no" from me without a sign of hesitation.

I've seen enough 'toons and not only that implement fighting scenes on a daily basis, and sadly that's vast majority of them. And they are... boring, already. How many times can one watch everything boiling down to the very same solution over and over again?

MLP does have some of these scenes of course... Canterlot Wedding/Twilight's Kingdom as obvious finales, but also some random moments woven into series so subtly that you don't really notice them at first. If there are more fighting scenes in MLP from now on, I already say that it'll a bold and risky move. I love MLP for what it is now, not for what it may become. And fighting in 'toons is so generic that it hurts.

Gen 4 built its fame and fanbase without having to appeal to combat and I honestly hope they don't suddenly decide to take a turn in this direction. I'm positive that I wouldn't stay long with the show if they did.

• 2 weeks later...

That depends. 

Will the mane five be reduced to utter helplessness again so that Twilight can shine? 

Will we see the characters we love reduced to the point where they're attempting to kill out of bloodlust? 

Will the fight scenes ultimately have no purpose to the plot whatsoever except for the sake of making bronies fangasm? 

If the answer to any of the above questions is "yes", I would kindly say....

F*** NO!!!  :okiedokielokie: 

Saying that Twi vs Tirek was just made to induce fangasms is foolish, if they didnt fight, Tirek would never make the deal and bribe, and it would basically just be, "gimme da magic" "NO" 

GIMME DA MAGIC" 'NO" Tirek fought Twilight so he could see if he even needed to make the initial bribe.

Watch Mysterious Mr enters review for a  more in depth version of what I said.

___________________________________________________________________________________

As for everyone else, I didnt say I wanted a fight every episode, just once in a while.

Hm... Nah.

You see, I think it's completely unncesesary. Especially because the whole show is about the magic of friendship. I think "intellectual" fights like the ones we saw in "The Return of Harmony" and "Friendship is Magic" fit this more; it's more interesting than a fight full of big explosions and huge exchanges of destructive power between two characters for the kind of fiction MLP:FiM is. 

I want to use Doctor Who as an example for this, even if it's barely relatable. You barely see any actual physical fights or violent action scenes: it's all about the Doctor having to solve and outsmart his enemy, or facing some moral dilemma, inner demon, or whatever inconvenience shows up. From what I percieve, My Little Pony is closer to this than fights like the one between Twilight and Tirek. It's simply not necessary.

I used DW as an example because every episode is like that, anyways. MLP episodes with conflicts involving big villains who want to ruin Equestria in some way are extremely rare and only fitting for Season openings or finales. After all, it's more of a slice of life comedy series with social conflicts than one about big adventures to SAVE THE WORLD. 
TL;DR: Action and/or fighting scenes don't fit the approach that's usually seen in episodes to solve problems. It's more about outsmarting the enemy and defeating it with friendship.

Not too many, as violence should only be a last resort for these characters. One of the reasons I personally like the show is because the characters first reaction isn't to use violence, it's to use their guile and reason.

(edited)

Not really if based on the way it happened in Twilight's Kingdom where the fight really could have been completely cut out (it was still awesome but it really didn't impact the story at all, you could have gone with blowing up the library straight to bargaining with the others)  and only involve Twilight.

Korra's fight were amazing because they included all the cast and were a part of the series from the beginning. While MLP could incorporate them, they need to acknowledge that they are doing it.  You can't go from a high octane fight for existence to arguing over who gets lead role in the town fair and still say they're equally as important. 

Basically characters first, fights second.  If you can get a certain character reaction from a fight, go for it but make sure you know what you're doing.  Don't make them pointless or just for show. 

Edited by sidral159