Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Bad TF2 Lag/Rubber-Banding. HELP!

Nit Pick

DxDiag.txt

Here's my Direct X Diagnostic ↑

I'm at a loss for words as to why I'm having lag and/or rubber-banding in Team Fortress 2.

Speed test results ↓

30vhtzd.jpg

I normally don't get any lag myself, even in Dallas servers I get lag now.  It's been going on since last week as of this post.

Things I've tried

• Resetting the router
  • Calling my ISP and having them restart the internet (mine's Time Warner Cable, they're pretty much the devils advocate to Comcast IMO.  They don't have game settings for their internet) 
  • tried some variations of launch options
  • closed unnecessary processes (I normally do this when I first launch TF2)
  • go to just one monitor
  • set the graphics to their lowest settings

Is this a "recent update" sort of rubber-banding?  Any launch options I should try? I'm at my wits end here.
Also I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this.

It's probably just the game, and don't expect anything useful from the devs as far as it goes. I'd recommend joining a TF2 server with net_graph 1 enabled and posting the results here, text or screenshot.

Here's the current launch options I have going for TF2.

-novid -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd -dxlevel80 +cl_showfps 1 -high -heapsize 3145728

2my3ee0.jpg

I hope you can read it. :P

DxDiag.txt

↑ Here's the new DxDiag with a new graphics card.

Sorry for the late response, I was stressing out over an essay all day yesterday.

Anyway, first thing I should mention is that the -heapsize launch command doesn't work in source games anymore, they removed its functionality because people who were using it were having strange problems with their game running. Also, 51 fps may seem fine to you but you're kinda running with that in a totally action-free empty server and that's not a good sign, even though you are loading an MvM map and those can fuck up your FPS a bit.

Another problem I'm seeing here is that you're playing with the default lerp and rates, which many players (competitive or not) totally abuse to get on the hit reg's better side.

What I'd recommend is using Chris' highframes config, or maxframes if you don't mind playing minecraft in TF2. I mean, I doubt a graphics whore would be playing something like TF2 but if you don't mind making your game a bit uglier you should definitely give that a try because you will notice a MAJOR change in your fps rate that I personally find impossible to play without.

I doubt your FPS is to blame for the lag/rubberbanding but the netcode config in chris' maxframes might make a difference there, TF2 does have a really buggy netcode and I honestly think it might be to blame here

http://puu.sh/gjrEP/4c28aab3ad.cfg

Here's the config I currently use, modified from chris' maxframes, it adds a few things from other configs give or take a few extras, and here's the launch options for TF2 (only slightly different from yours)

-dxlevel 81 -full -w 1280 -h 720 -console -novid -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd

If you don't wanna play with the shitty quality graphics that maxframes provides, I'll just throw the netcode thing down here and you can put it in your autoexec.cfg file.

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0.033
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000

Oh and finally, I did notice that dxlevel80 was part of your launch option line but there is one thing worth noting. You're supposed to remove that from your options the first time you use it, or else it'll keep switching to dx8 every time you launch TF2 and making the game run a bit buggier.

(edited)

So I've tired your cfg and it loaded just fine.  I tried an empty server like I did before, and the rubber banding was significantly reduced.  But I still get the occasional hiccup when jumping or face-planting in a corner of a wall.  I'm guessing it's mostly netcode then?  Like I need Google Fiber or something? (whenever it comes to my town)

Edited by Nit Pick

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Sorry for the late response, I was stressing out over an essay all day yesterday.

Anyway, first thing I should mention is that the -heapsize launch command doesn't work in source games anymore, they removed its functionality because people who were using it were having strange problems with their game running. Also, 51 fps may seem fine to you but you're kinda running with that in a totally action-free empty server and that's not a good sign, even though you are loading an MvM map and those can fuck up your FPS a bit.

Another problem I'm seeing here is that you're playing with the default lerp and rates, which many players (competitive or not) totally abuse to get on the hit reg's better side.

What I'd recommend is using Chris' highframes config, or maxframes if you don't mind playing minecraft in TF2. I mean, I doubt a graphics whore would be playing something like TF2 but if you don't mind making your game a bit uglier you should definitely give that a try because you will notice a MAJOR change in your fps rate that I personally find impossible to play without.

I doubt your FPS is to blame for the lag/rubberbanding but the netcode config in chris' maxframes might make a difference there, TF2 does have a really buggy netcode and I honestly think it might be to blame here

http://puu.sh/gjrEP/4c28aab3ad.cfg

Here's the config I currently use, modified from chris' maxframes, it adds a few things from other configs give or take a few extras, and here's the launch options for TF2 (only slightly different from yours)

-dxlevel 81 -full -w 1280 -h 720 -console -novid -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd

If you don't wanna play with the shitty quality graphics that maxframes provides, I'll just throw the netcode thing down here and you can put it in your autoexec.cfg file.

cl_cmdrate 66

cl_interp 0.033

cl_interp_ratio 1

cl_lagcompensation 1

cl_pred_optimize 2

cl_smooth 0

cl_smoothtime 0.01

cl_updaterate 66

rate 60000

Oh and finally, I did notice that dxlevel80 was part of your launch option line but there is one thing worth noting. You're supposed to remove that from your options the first time you use it, or else it'll keep switching to dx8 every time you launch TF2 and making the game run a bit buggier.

Sorry I forgot to quote you last time.  I also got into Origin and tried BF4.  Still the same rubber banding as TF2.

Edited by Nit Pick