Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What is better? Fallout 3, or New Vegas?

Probably Lee

In my personal opinion, New Vegas is superior. Most people who disagree and prefer 3 do so because 3 was their first game in the series, so NV has too much 'Politicking' for their tastes. I, however, having played Fallout and Fallout 2, appreciate the references to both of those games NV includes, as well as the advancement of the stories of the factions introduced in Fallout 2 (The NCR, for example).

In my personal opinion, New Vegas is superior. Most people who disagree and prefer 3 do so because 3 was their first game in the series, so NV has too much 'Politicking' for their tastes. I, however, having played Fallout and Fallout 2, appreciate the references to both of those games NV includes, as well as the advancement of the stories of the factions introduced in Fallout 2 (The NCR, for example).

Same here, breh. I consider the independent path the true ending to NV.

• Brohoof 1

Storywise, I think lots of people enjoy Fallout 3 better. But, on a gameplay level, lots of people get more kicks from New Vegas.

Giant geckos still scare me...

Edited by Geek0zoid

Fallout 3 was my first in the series actually :. And the story for it is a lot more in depth and varied, but i love the depressing scene of fallout 3 Its map pulls off apocalyptic a lot better.

Fallout 3 was my first in the series actually :. And the story for it is a lot more in depth and varied, but i love the depressing scene of fallout 3 Its map pulls off apocalyptic a lot better.

I just don't like Fallout 3 because it slaps the previous lore in the face. It's a good game, but in my opinion it's not a good Fallout game.

Both games are amazing, but I guess if I had to choose it'd be fallout new vegas

Fallout new vegas has far better gameplay (Actually has bloody iron sites >.<), slightly better graphics (Doesn't matter too much but eh) and to top it off, has a really good atmosphere.

(At the same time fallout 3 had a really good atmosphere as well, just in a different way. I felt like far more of an asshole whenever I killed people in the capital wasteland compared to the Mojave. 

It definitely felt a lot more apocalyptic, but ofc, the Mojave wasn't intended to be as fucked as the capital wasteland.

Also ,whilst I loved the music from both, I slightly preferred fallout 3's radio stations. Give me three dog over Mr new vegas any day xD)

Edited by Aleh

Storywise, I think lots of people enjoy Fallout 3 better. But, on a gameplay level, lots of people get more kicks from New Vegas.

Giant geckos still scare me.

Wut? I love thos Cuddly things :yay:

Both games are amazing, but I guess if I had to choose it'd be fallout new vegas

Fallout new vegas has far better gameplay (Actually has bloody iron sites >.<), slightly better graphics (Doesn't matter too much but eh) and to top it off, has a really good atmosphere.

(At the same time fallout 3 had a really good atmosphere as well, just in a different way. I felt like far more of an asshole whenever I killed people in the capital wasteland compared to the Mojave. 

It definitely felt a lot more apocalyptic, but ofc, the Mojave wasn't intended to be as fucked as the capital wasteland.

Also ,whilst I loved the music from both, I slightly preferred fallout 3's radio stations. Give me three dog over Mr new vegas any day xD)

Thats weird, i felt worse killing new vegas characters than ones from 3. I supposed its because the new vegas characters were more in depth.

^ Give me a gecko over a cazadore anyday.
In fact give me several >.< 
Bloody devil insects

Thats weird, i felt worse killing new vegas characters than ones from 3. I supposed its because the new vegas characters were more in depth.

Idk. I felt like I was making a screwed up situation so many times worse. Capital wastelands so much worse off than Mojave.
No electricity, no water, meanwhile most areas in the Mojave would pretty much be the equivalent to tennpenny tower for some guy from the wasteland >.<

[Did feel bad for killing characters in fallout new vegas anyway, just depends I guess]

Haven't played fallout 3 in ages mind you xD

Edited by Aleh

New Vegas is better in my opinion for the dilemma you're placed in. You have 4 options within the main story:

1.) Help the Legion rule the Mojave

2.) Help the NCR rule the Mojave

3.) Help Mr. House rule the Mojave

4.) Or Rule the Mojave yourself along with Yes Man.

(I personally prefer number 4.)

Whereas Fallout 3's story line where you break out of the vault in search of your father, to eventually restore clean water to Washington DC (the game's like 7 years old now, if I spoiled the ending for you, too bad.) isn't as compelling and fun. 

Also, Fallout 3 seems depressing due to the green hue/mist everywhere, so that's another small reason why I prefer NV.

• Brohoof 2

Both games are fantastic, but if I had to choose one; I'd do with Fallout 3.

Fallout: New Vegas has really good gameplay, and I enjoyed the factions and more choices, but the atmosphere wasn't as good as Fallout 3's in my opinion. It wasn't as fun to explore (it was flatland for the most part with not a lot of rubble or buildings), and I liked Fallout 3's story more. Fallout 3 had this cool depressing feel to it that captured the apocalyptic setting well, and I loved exploring random buildings and caves to see what I could find. Some locations even had things (e.g. corpses/skeletons) set up in a way that told a story, which reminded me of The Walking Dead, making me enjoy the game even more.

I also found Fallout 3's quests to be much more memorable, and I liked its DLC more. I can fondly remember quests like Blood Ties, Agatha's Song, Oasis, Stealing Independence, The Power of the Atom, Those!, You Gotta Shoot Them In The Head, and Wasteland Survival Guide, and I adore Point Lookout and The Pitt.

Another strong point Fallout 3 has over Fallout: New Vegas is the radio. I didn't enjoy the radio station in Fallout: New Vegas as much as I did in Fallout 3 with Galaxy News Radio. The songs chosen were memorable, and it was a great feel to just explore the desolate wasteland while listening to '40s hits. Three Dog was also a much more enjoyable DJ than Mr. New Vegas for me, and was one the game's more memorable characters.

That said, you can't go wrong with either game.

• Brohoof 3

I like them both but I really wish there was a dlc for FNV to show how your decisions affected the new vegas area.  Like with Broken Steel, I would have liked to see the results of my actions.

personally I'm more of an Elder Scrolls fan... but I have played and beat both Fallouts and I think New Vegas has more interesting game play... but 3 has a better story..... so I'd say its a tie I love them both

Haven't actually played Vegas but it looks a lot better. Traits, more perks, better characters, a deeper story that's more customizable, and a general happier atmosphere all are reasons for be to believe that Vegas > 3.

*Which is better?

With that aside, I like New Vegas better than Fallout 3. I felt like it was more like the originals (which are fun as all hell and people should try them.) Plus, it doesn't hurt that it was made by the original team behind Fallout.

• Brohoof 1

That's a tough one for me. Fallout 3 has better atmosphere, but New Vegas has better characters and a reputation system.

If you like both games and you want the best of both worlds, get the mod Tale of Two Wastelands. It imports all of Fallout 3's assets into New Vegas and starts you off being born in Vault 101. At any point in the game, you can take a train to New Vegas where you get a job as a courier and get shot in the head.

Edited by SpaceOnion

NV is better. Game mechanics are better - healing items take time so you can spam them tactically before a big fight but at the same time you can't expect to restore full health in combat thus removing the challenge.

Guns take custom rounds and can be modded and there are several times the number of them, no relying on the chinese assualt rifle for 50% of the game!

Locations are actually varied you don't just go from one landmark to another you actually discover hidden areas all over the actual wasteland that is the desert.

No more mandatory grind fest dungeons everytime you want to get somewhere new i.e no crappy subway stations that are the same when your level 15 as they are when your level 2. T-T.

Better campaign choices its not just choose when the <10 hour main quest ends like i F3 you actually decide how to rule the wasteland, personally I let Mr House rot to death as punishment for treating me like his bitch.

I think that Fallout 3 is highly overrated, even though I loved it for its time. Because it was good for its time, but its time has most definitely passed. Looking back on it, it had fantasmic DLC's and was a great intro the 3d fallout universe. Mods aside, though, it lacked much of the features and atmosphere that made/makes New Vegas so lovable for me.

And people mention the atmosphere a lot. Far too often, I see: "Fallout 3 had a better atmosphere because it actually looked dark, and post-apocalyptic, and it looked like everyone was struggling to survive." No shit, that's because they were. That's not what made the atmosphere "post-apocalyptic," though. It was post-apocalyptic because it was after the nuclear apocalypse, just like New Vegas.

Consider the circumstances of both settings. DC and its surrounding area was either city or suburbs where various government things with the Enclave were happening, and the Brotherhood of Steel was butting in, etc, etc. Most of the people that live there are gonna be scavengers, just like the major powers were scavengers. That's no surprise. The Capital Wasteland was exactly that: a wasteland. Radiation everywhere, nearly no fertile land, crazy superpowers with broken ideologies struggling for power, and a ton of mutants.

What's different about New Vegas? Less green tint, for one. But seriously, the circumstances of New Vegas are actually considerably different. Take into consideration, you have two main factions who each have their own ideas of establishing order, rather than just pointlessly struggling for power on a lost land of death. You have the independent New Vegas option, where you get to make Vegas its own little self-reliant city-state. The reason the people of New Vegas aren't hanging by a thread to survive is because it just happens to be that they got their shit together at one point, and were a little luckier than the DC folk.

I think I am mostly done ranting, but my points still stand. New Vegas is better, in my opinion for the following: More features for gameplay, more expansive landscape, more modding capability, less of a two-sided atmosphere than FO3, characters surprisingly less flat, story-line isn't merely some boring and pointless power struggle and you can actually feel like you accomplish more than quenching peoples' thirst by the end, and because it doesn't have endless amounts of green tint.