Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Scootaloo's mom Daring Do?

ManaMinori

Or could they be sisters? I'll let you guys decide. But for the moment, let's take a look at the signs that may point to them possibly being related.

First and foremost, Scoots idolizes Rainbow Dash, and develops a sisterly bond with her in “Sleepless in Ponyville”. Why is this? Personally, I think that the reason Scoots idolizes RD- aside from the fact that Dash is the best flyer (and fastest) in Equestria, and Scootaloo- who doesn't seem to have the ability to even get off the ground, herself, wants to be like her- there's the fact that Daring Do is identical to Rainbow Dash (just palette-swapped, which we've never seen before on a main/ side character). Daring's name – a play on the phrase 'derring-do'- which means, “brave and adventurous; often reckless actions” can also be seen in Scootaloo's character.

From what we've seen, Scootaloo lives in a house in Ponyville, alone. Daring Do also lives alone; far outside of Ponyville. And on 'the job' / her adventures, she's adamant about “working alone”. Why is this? Well, perhaps, (theory time!) during a time when she may have been toting her daughter/ sister Scootaloo around with her, on adventures, the flightless pegasus filly may have been a hindrance, always getting in the way, when trying to be helpful. And so Daring could've had enough, at some point in time, and brought Scootaloo to Ponyville, where she lives alone, and taken a liking to RD, who's much like Daring in all aspects.

One other thing that I also find interesting that may contribute as evidence is one of Daring's quotes sounding similar to one of Scootaloo's. “Nopony calls me chicken” (in response to Biff- Enterplay Collectible Card game The Crystal Games expansion set #156 R card) and in the series, Scoots herself is teased at being chicken, by Applebloom, who models a chicken call after her, in “The Stare Master”

You raise interesting points, but honestly I don't think Daring Do is Scootaloo's mother: she seems too adventurous, too young and too busy to have a love life and a child.
And if Daring Do looks like Rainbow Dash, it's just because the animators are lazy, or it's just a "coincidence"...

What you said is convincing so I wouldn't say it's impossible either, but just very unlikely.

Edited by Blobulle

You raise interesting points, but honestly I don't think Daring Do is Scootaloo's mother: she seems too adventurous, too young and too busy to have a love life and a child.

And if Daring Do looks like Rainbow Dash, it's just because the animators are lazy, or it's just a "coincidence"...

What you said is convincing so I wouldn't say it's impossible either, but just very unlikely.

hm, that may be so, but there are signs that point to her being a mere archeologist before she became an adventurer- and that's probably when she may have had more time to settle down. In "Daring Don't", Daring states that 'she never knows who she can trust", and before that line, at a scene back in her house, Dash's dialogue states that Dr. Caballeron wanted to partner with Daring on her adventures, but Daring refused, at some point in time. It's possible that Caballeron may had Daring's trust at some point before this (maybe even settling into a relationship with her? It wouldn't bee too far out of left field, seeing as how they're in the same line of work as archaologists.) but later doublecrossed or betrayed Daring, for her to have said that she doesn't know who she can trust?

hm, that may be so, but there are signs that point to her being a mere archeologist before she became an adventurer- and that's probably when she may have had more time to settle down. In "Daring Don't", Daring states that 'she never knows who she can trust", and before that line, at a scene back in her house, Dash's dialogue states that Dr. Caballeron wanted to partner with Daring on her adventures, but Daring refused, at some point in time. It's possible that Caballeron may had Daring's trust at some point before this (maybe even settling into a relationship with her? It wouldn't bee too far out of left field, seeing as how they're in the same line of work as archaologists.) but later doublecrossed or betrayed Daring, for her to have said that she doesn't know who she can trust?

Well Twilight and Rainbow Dash said he wanted to partner with her but she refused, so I think they've never been really close to each other.

One other thing that I also find interesting that may contribute as evidence is one of Daring's quotes sounding similar to one of Scootaloo's. “Nopony calls me chicken” (in response to Biff- Enterplay Collectible Card game The Crystal Games expansion set #156 R card) and in the series, Scoots herself is teased at being chicken, by Applebloom, who models a chicken call after her, in “The Stare Master”

So Scootaloo is related to Daring Do, because both at one time or another, said the word "Chicken"? Does this mean that Marty McFly is Scoot's dad? He gave the exact quote "Nobody calls me chicken!"

• Brohoof 1

So Scootaloo is related to Daring Do, because both at one time or another, said the word "Chicken"? Does this mean that Marty McFly is Scoot's dad? He gave the exact quote "Nobody calls me chicken!"

I love how you ignore the other bits I presented, to come to that conclusion..... =_=

Well Twilight and Rainbow Dash said he wanted to partner with her but she refused, so I think they've never been really close to each other.

well if not mother and child, the possibility remains that they could be sisters.

I personally belive scoots is a forgotten changeling hatchling who never knew any member of her species and stayed in pony form to long . this would explain her lack of a cutie mark and her inability to fly using pony wings as well as why her wings are so small .

I love how you ignore the other bits I presented, to come to that conclusion..... =_=

Actually, I'm not ignoring anything. I was being humorous. If I was being serious, I would have said something like...

You're grasping at straws. Hasbro, and the writers of the show would NEVER permit something like Scootaloo was abandoned by Daring Do.

• Brohoof 1

If that would be the case it would be extremely disturbing. I mean what kind of mother or sister would leave their daughter or sister behind like that when she is still a filly?

And if she would be her mother for example, how come that she never told RD about Daring Do being a real life pony and not a made up character in a book? I mean RD was kinda obsessed with those books so it would be kinda impossible for Scoots not to hear about them right?

As for the reckless actions, all of the CMC are probably teenagers or on the verge of becoming so, wasn't Applebloom behaving reckless when she decided to deliver those pies herself?

Edited by Wayzer
  • Brohoof 1

If that would be the case it would be extremely disturbing. I mean what kind of mother or sister would leave their daughter or sister behind like that when she is still a filly?

And if she would be her mother for example, how come that she never told RD about Daring Do being a real life pony and not a made up character in a book? I mean RD was kinda obsessed with those books so it would be kinda impossible for Scoots not to hear about them right?

As for the reckless actions, all of the CMC are probably teenagers or on the verge of becoming so, wasn't Applebloom behaving reckless when she decided to deliver those pies herself?

I don't think so. I mean, it fits within Daring's character; being a lone wolf and not trusting anyone. She considers those who want to be around her as extra baggage, so it's no stretch of the imagination to say she dropped Scoots off somewhere she might be safer, and far out of the way.

When has Dash ever spoken about Daring in the presence of Scoots? If never, then that's reason enough for Scoots to have never brought up personally knowing Daring, in the first place. (or, maybe, yanno, just to protect her privacy, unlike Dash who tramples all over the privacy of other ponies)

If this were true is would kind of make Daring Do one of the more detestable characters in the show. I mean, unless she willingly had someone adopt Scootaloo (which would be fine), the thought of her outright abandoning Scootaloo not only makes zero sense, but also just makes her even more unlikeable than Gilda.

As for your other point in regards to Scoot's adoration of Dash, that is an interesting thought, though I don't think that is enough to say that Daring DO is her mother.

• Brohoof 1

Even though it would make some sense, I don't think it's possible. Daring Do was introduced later in the show and is only appearing in a few episodes. It wouldn't really fit the storyline.

Edited by ThunderQuartz

I would LOVE this idea...just to see Rainbow's reaction  ^_^

not sure if its true though...probably not  :( would make a good fanfic though  :D

• Brohoof 1

I don't think this is possible. Scoots just needs more development. She idolizes RD cause RD does the one thing she can't do so well, but Scoots has been shown to be able to float off the ground for a couple of seconds by flapping REALLY hard. There's no way to know for sure unless people intentionally spoil themselves on S5 or are the writers themselves, but I believe Scoots is one of the characters in the show who needs more background development. We don't know if she has parents, even though she has been shown as living in a house so not homeless. It is an interesting theory though.

And I'm pretty sure the reason Daring looks so much like RD is because of the book protagonist thing. Some people imagine themselves as the protagonist. At the time of introduction we had no idea Daring was real. RD was simply imagining herself as the book's protagonist but not exactly, even giving Daring a broken wing to explain some of the times she didn't fly. For the Daring Don't episode the writers simply had to keep Daring looking as is to preserve continuity.

Edited by bronislav84

I would LOVE this idea...just to see Rainbow's reaction  ^_^

not sure if its true though...probably not  :( would make a good fanfic though  :D

I completely agree.  I'd like to see it quickly snuck in the end of a random episode.  Daring Do is being discussed, and scootaloo casually mentions, "yeah, that's my mom."  Show rainbow dash's expression, then bam! cut to black, end of episode with no further explanation.  It would drive everyone nuts!

• Brohoof 1