Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord similar to Q?

TheJLeeTeam

I was wondering if Discord has some similarities to a character called Q from Star Trek because I've often seen him compared to Q. I don't know much about Star Trek so what similarities do they have, I know they're both played by John De Lancie but any other connections?

• Brohoof 1

I don't know much about Star Trek either.  I did, however, drop by a comic book shop for some MLP comics about a month and a half ago, and the person that rang me up said that his friend showed him the show.  His claim was that it was like Q had just gone into another dimension(equestria) and became Discord.  

• Brohoof 1

I remember seeing a video clip that mentioned that Lauren Faust based Discord off of Q. So yes, nearly one in the same.

As for the clip, I'm going to have to slog through my massive amount of YouTube history.

• Brohoof 1

Discord is an overwhelmingly large homage to 'Q'. Pretty much everything about the character is a reference. The chaos powers, the teleportation, the shape-shifting, the superiority complex, the complete lack of regard for things making sense, finding reality utterly boring... He pretty much is 'Q'.

It's one of the reasons I love Discord so much.  :wub:

• Brohoof 5

Mustang is correct. I recall seeing that Lauren said somewhere he was based on Q, and is also voiced by Q's actor. Maybe in a different tone, but it's the same guy.

Also what Kay said.

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say they're very similar. I've seen a few episodes with Q in it. Considering it's John De Lancie playing Q,  I would not be surprised if John got the inspiration from his Q character to make Discord his own. Since Q often gets involved in creating chaos, much like Discord. They also share the same magical powers ad properties.

Dare I say, Q and Discord have almost the exact same character traits? John De Lancie is an amazing actor.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, yeah, this is kind of old news.  Discord is Q.  He was based directly on the character.  More than based, really.  They're exactly the same character in every way.  They way they talk, they way they act, the powers, everything.

• Brohoof 2

I wish they'd do a "judging of Equestria" episode as a homage to TNG where the Mane Six have to present a case to Discord as to why he should not destroy Equestria. It'sd be cool, because, if anyone here remembers the episode Q was introduced in, Q put humanity on trial, and the crew of the Enterprise-D were the defense lawyers. A ponified version of that episode would be amazing.

• Brohoof 3

The idea behind Q is that he is a very powerful being that causes mischief for the Enterprise crew, Most of Discord's mannerisms are based more or less based on Q

Now interpretations will vary but Q is generally a prankster type character, who can be antagonistic towards our heroes, yet is never portrayed as full villain, that what he does is evil, though it can be dangerous. 

Q is a bit more malicious than Discord though, in my opinion. 

TV-Y vs TV-G 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 1

When the character of Discord was created for MLP, supposedly it was a direct homage to Q of Star Trek. The writers did it with John DeLancie in mind, but didn't think he'd actually do a voice over for a kids cartoon, either that or he'd be too expensive to get. According to the con panels where they discussed this after-the-fact, they were surprised when John actually said yes and they discovered they could actually swing the budget for him.

• Brohoof 2

I wish they'd do a "judging of Equestria" episode as a homage to TNG where the Mane Six have to present a case to Discord as to why he should not destroy Equestria. It'sd be cool, because, if anyone here remembers the episode Q was introduced in, Q put humanity on trial, and the crew of the Enterprise-D were the defense lawyers. A ponified version of that episode would be amazing.

While I agree this would be cool, it doesn't really make sense in the context of what's happened in the show thus far. Discord isn't that kind of villainous character anymore. He would have to go full villain mode again like when he was first introduced, cause the current Discord has no interest in causing that kind of damage.

Heck, I'm inclined to say that even when he was introduced he didn't have this intention either. Think of it like this. If a villain actually manages to destroy the world, what would there be to rule? He just wanted to change the world to be what he believes it should be. In this way Discord is different from Q. The Q Continuum have their own dimension where they live and don't give a crap if the Trek universe just ceases to exist, but Discord also lives in Equestria and has nowhere to go if it's destroyed. Or that's what we've been led to believe, since it's never been shown yet where he actually lives when he's not hanging around. He *could* have his own little dimension, but we really don't know.

Edited by bronislav84

• 2 years later...