Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler FIENDship is Magic #5 - Chrysalis

Argumedies

Well they don't have the official thread up yet So here are my quick thoughts. I'll make more in the official thread.

Finally, a comic worth reading (for the most part)

Except the whole OOC Rarity spot, I rather enjoyed this, and the campy little in stories were great. it was deep and very dark and so much better then the NMM arc.

This is what all these should be like

Go read this, it's worth it imho

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

Along with the Sombra comic, the Chrysalis comic is a great issue from the Fiendship is Magic series. It really shows off of how good Chrysalis is under Katie Cook. Apparently we can add to her that anything that has to do with Queen Chrysalis, let her write her as she writes her as an evil warlord that seeks to absorb magic and love for her own needs as I like over the others, also she seems to go out and write pretty grim dark stuff when she's writing her.

Though with Rarity, it's the opposite as I don't know why, but unless Rarity is the main focus in the comic, Katie may just need to stop writing her altogether as she won't stop using the romantic angle on Rarity that the show really doesn't play much in comparison and makes her into an airhead for such scenes.

Taking from joshscorcher from EQD to add upon my Rarity complaint: "I don't like how the comics are handling Rarity lately. They really only keep her along to say mean or insensitive remarks about others, hit on male characters, or be the butt of a joke highlighting how vain she is as if that's her only trait. I find this troubling".

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Along with the Sombra comic, the Chrysalis comic is a great issue from the Fiendship is Magic series. It really shows off of how good Chrysalis is under Katie Cook. Apparently we can add to her that anything that has to do with Queen Chrysalis, let her write her as she writes her as an evil warlord that seeks to absorb magic and love for her own needs as I like over the others, also she seems to go out and write pretty grim dark stuff when she's writing her.

Though with Rarity, it's the opposite as I don't know why, but unless Rarity is the main focus in the comic, Katie may just need to stop writing her altogether as she won't stop using the romantic angle on Rarity that the show really doesn't play much in comparison and makes her into an airhead for such scenes.

Taking from joshscorcher from EQD to add upon my Rarity complaint: "I don't like how the comics are handling Rarity lately. They really only keep her along to say mean or insensitive remarks about others, hit on male characters, or be the butt of a joke highlighting how vain she is as if that's her only trait. I find this troubling".

Oh I agree with you there, ain't none of them can do Rarity properly, the closest being FF #13 with Babs. (But even then)

I wish they would have done the Nightmare Moon issue like this one. To me that was the flatest of the series.

My picks for this series

1: Chrysalis

2: Sombra

3: Sirens

4: Tirek

5: Nightmare Moon

Which is sad for me because NMM is one of my favorites and Chrysalis is actually my least.

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

Considering I forgot to make one, it'd be rude to supplant this one. Let's make this the official one; I say. :)

• Brohoof 1

I like how storytelling is becoming a thing for Rainbow Dash

I liked this one, but it's slightly below Sombra for me, as it's one of the better Fiendship comics, but the ending where Twilight was gullible enough to trust Chrysalis rubs me the wrong way. I also agree with the complaints about Rarity, though in this case it's more saddening considering this is coming from the same people who made the Rarity Micro, and both Cook and Price seem to like Rarity a lot

Edited by Falco Lombardi
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Considering I forgot to make one, it'd be rude to supplant this one. Let's make this the official one; I say. :)

That's fine but you can change the thread title to match the others if you like

And I gotta point out, DAT Celestia flying in with guns a blazing (or horn if you prefer) and stick um in a volcano, ya know, I've never been a fan of the whole tyrentlestia thing, but Dayum, that was just downright mean. Would have been less crewel to stick um in a giant bug zapper

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 2

And I gotta point out, DAT Celestia flying in with guns a blazing (or horn if you prefer) and stick um in a volcano, ya know, I've never been a fan of the whole tyrentlestia thing, but Dayum, that was just downright mean. Would have been less crewel to stick um in a giant bug zapper

Done, and for good measure here is the excellent cover. :)

FIENDSHIP%2BIS%2BMAGIC%2BCHRYSALIS.jpg

• Brohoof 1

INCREDIBLE artwork here. Comics are a visual medium, so that is honestly about 33% of a good comic (Cough Fosgitt Cough), and the coloring and designs in this have a very crisp, dark feel to it. Love it. The depicton of the drained ponies is suitably fatal looking without being too over the line for a MLP comic, and the changelings are just perfectly designed her.
I don't really care for Chryssy's armor too much, but I can appreciate the asthetic behind it and its not BAD, I just would have preferred a little more simplistic armor.

I actually kind of disliked RD telling the story though: I felt her manner of dialouge somewhat ruined that part of the plot, though I think it picked up once they got to the troy siege, and, despite RD's method of dialogue, the message of what happened was still nice. (KInd of like how they pretty much tell RD that the legend of orion becoming a star is innaccurate a the end XD).

Additionally, the origin of the changelings reminds me of Aku's origin in samurai jack, and it kind of nice: I like that there's no big design behind them, no reason for their existence, or sob story from chrysalis about why she's evil: They just ARE, a natural disaster kind of thing, like a tornado or wasps. They kill and eat others because that's what they do, they're just a mistake of nature like other pestulent insects.

The fact that Celestia also Lasered them so hard she PERMANENTLY DISFIGURED THEM is also nice XD

Go celestia! She must have been pissed to have blasted physical holes/scars into chryssy.

I like how storytelling is becoming a thing for Rainbow Dash

I liked this one, but it's slightly below Sombra for me, as it's one of the better Fiendship comics, but the ending where Twilight was gullible enough to trust Chrysalis rubs me the wrong way. I also agree with the complaints about Rarity, though in this case it's more saddening considering this is coming from the same people who made the Rarity Micro, and both Cook and Price seem to like Rarity a lot

See, Normally I'd be upset at Twilight being an idiot, as she really, REALLY comes off as really stupid in the comics. But I'm not a fan of twilight, and she's done so *Many* things by now in the comics that are just outright dumb (The cattle rustler arc for example) that I've stopped protesting it and just viewing it as "Yup, she's being an idiot again".

I know that stems from me being a twilight hater so people who do enjoy twilight and want to see her written as the intelligent bookworm she was depicted as early on in the series will object, but it works for me XD

• Brohoof 2

Yeah...Rarity's date may not have been replaced by a changeling, but clearly Rarity has if her attitude in this and issue #27-28 are anything to go on.

Maybe it's just me, but I could actually see Twilight being just naive enough to open the door and unintentionally let Chrysalis escape. AJ thought it couldn't hurt also! What kinda surprises me is despite having Twilight at her mercy, Chrysalis makes no attempt at getting any kind of revenge despite the fact that she has "I hate Twilight!" drawings hanging off the wall. That could just be cause Twilight looked right about ready to fry her to a crisp, but whatever.

I would have never expected Dash to pull a "You've never heard of [well-known historical event]?" It could just be because it's a bit of Pegasus history, but the fact that Chrysalis' presence has been recorded throughout history makes me scratch my head somewhat. It could just be that she faded into myth following her imprisonment (also, stop hanging a lampshade on the fact that all this seemed to take place 1000 years ago, we get it.)

Finally, does this mean we're going to see the changelings show up again later on? Because that ending feels like a precursor to having Chrysalis show up again somewhere down the road (though if I remember correctly, the Sombra issue also felt like the prologue to a future story arc.)  

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

The fact that Celestia also Lasered them so hard she PERMANENTLY DISFIGURED THEM is also nice XD

Go celestia! She must have been pissed to have blasted physical holes/scars into chryssy.

I did not see that

Ya know, it's now wonder why she has "anger issues"

Edited by Argumedies

Now that was MOST excellent; easily the second best of the FIENDship series.

Granted SOME of Rarity's dialogue was a bit overdone, but I can't really find much fault with this issue. The artwork was great, the story had a nice mixture of dark & funny, Chrysalis was at her best here, and we even see Star Swirl again.

Definitely makes up for the Nightmare Moon issue. :)

Wait, I thought Dragons were lavaproof.

Yeah, I was perturbed by that as well; it should have just had the changelings given time to escape while it was digging itself out of the volcano rather than it being upset by the lava being hot.

Yeah...Rarity's date may not have been replaced by a changeling, but clearly Rarity has if her attitude in this and issue #27-28 are anything to go on.

Maybe it's just me, but I could actually see Twilight being just naive enough to open the door and unintentionally let Chrysalis escape. AJ thought it couldn't hurt also! What kinda surprises me is despite having Twilight at her mercy, Chrysalis makes no attempt at getting any kind of revenge despite the fact that she has "I hate Twilight!" drawings hanging off the wall. That could just be cause Twilight looked right about ready to fry her to a crisp, but whatever.

I would have never expected Dash to pull a "You've never heard of [well-known historical event]?" It could just be because it's a bit of Pegasus history, but the fact that Chrysalis' presence has been recorded throughout history makes me scratch my head somewhat. It could just be that she faded into myth following her imprisonment (also, stop hanging a lampshade on the fact that all this seemed to take place 1000 years ago, we get it.)

Finally, does this mean we're going to see the changelings show up again later on? Because that ending feels like a precursor to having Chrysalis show up again somewhere down the road (though if I remember correctly, the Sombra issue also felt like the prologue to a future story arc.)  

While I can see people being upset with Rarity being a bit vapid, I felt that joke was really funny; Specifically, when you see the Date's expression during the panel, it just all comes together perfectly XD

See, this is the type of quality I thought we'd be getting out of the Fiendship series. Great lore expansion and good storytelling. Aside from Rarity's poor characterization this was an overall great comic, I loved the mythological references in the issue. And I'm not really bothered by Twilight being fooled by Chrysalis, I've been waiting for a villain to use her good nature and willingness to believe villains can be reformed against her. And besides, with her actions in some of the previous comics *cough cattle rustler arc cough*, she deserved to be humiliated like that.

• Brohoof 1

See, this is the type of quality I thought we'd be getting out of the Fiendship series. Great lore expansion and good storytelling. Aside from Rarity's poor characterization this was an overall great comic, I loved the mythological references in the issue. And I'm not really bothered by Twilight being fooled by Chrysalis, I've been waiting for a villain to use her good nature and willingness to believe villains can be reformed against her. And besides, with her actions in some of the previous comics *cough cattle rustler arc cough*, she deserved to be humiliated like that.

Maybe Twilight's finally learned her lesson regarding the Idiot Ball.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm disappointed that Twilight was gullible enough to fall for the trap. There could have been a better way of having her escape.

I dunno; I thought it fit well enough myself. I thought Chrysalis' little deception was VERY well played and, being the princess of friendship, I can see her believing Chrysalis. Besides; all she was doing was giving her a book; nothing more. :)

(edited)

I'm disappointed that Twilight was gullible enough to fall for the trap. There could have been a better way of having her escape.

I'm kinda mixed on this. This is one of those grey areas in Twilight character

I can see her falling for it because even in show canon, she has been "tricked" (looking at you Discord) before

Edited by Argumedies

Still want to know how incitatus (was that his name? whatever, the fat idiot) apparnetly saw through chrysalis's charade the *first* time to get her kicked out of trot.

Like, that guy's thick as you can get, how the heck did he realize what was going on?

Still want to know how incitatus (was that his name? whatever, the fat idiot) apparnetly saw through chrysalis's charade the *first* time to get her kicked out of trot.

Like, that guy's thick as you can get, how the heck did he realize what was going on?

That pony reminded me of Kronc, I can't remember who VAed him though, but I read his lines in that voice

(edited)

Patrick warburton. I actually remember his voice mainly due to his time on Family guy XD

He's a great VA though.

img-3715789-1-Joe_Swanson.png

I knew he did a lot of voices, I had forgotten about Joe, but I always think of Kronc first, because he's the one I liked best.

I would definitely choose him to VA this incitatus character

Edited by Argumedies

He didn't see through it, he still though Chrysalis loved him when they broke into Trot. It sounds like it was the other citizens who saw through her plans and forced the changelings out.

Also, I just noticed this and I love it:

post-22950-0-19928300-1430444866_thumb.png

Man, Fluttershy is piiiissed!

• Brohoof 3

He didn't see through it, he still though Chrysalis loved him when they broke into Trot. It sounds like it was the other citizens who saw through her plans and forced the changelings out.

Also, I just noticed this and I love it:

attachicon.gif200 percent mad.png

Man, Fluttershy is piiiissed!

While I would want to think he was just a buffoon, chrysalis's Dialgoue, every time I read over it, confirms that it was him that saw through her and that he's maintaining the shield somehow. I Kind of think he DID see through her legitimately, but was thinking it was like a crappy love novel where the succubus/vampire/monster girl ends up falling for the hero.

Basically, I think he did see through her disguise, but was SO egotistical that he throught she leigitimately loved him due to how handsome he was (and bragged about it in some way that alerted the other citizens).