Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music favorite decade of music?

Zantetsuken

(edited)

I'm not sure I could decide on a particularly favorite decade - my most favorite era of music falls right into the mid to late 60s through the early 70s. I could actually say I love the 70s as a whole, but the sweet spot falls earlier.

The reason that era works so well for me is because my musical tastes lay primarily in instruments and the way they're played - the sound. Vocal styles, too, of course. A great balance between acoustic and electronic was struck during this time. A wide variety of instruments were used, as well. It was commonplace to have trumpet, trombone, saxophone sections and string sections in a lot of songs, and many bands actually founded themselves with them as full members of the band, instead of just being some background act in a couple of their songs.

I think we know its all about the wind instruments for me, but really it's a general instrumentation kind of thing, that was completely lost with the 80s. Like I love the harpsichord and organ, too!

I think this song is the best example, even though The Doors were never an ensemble with winds and strings, and this was a one-off deal for them... They did it beautifully in this song.

Since I can post two Youtube videos, I will post an example on the soul/r&b side, as well:

So sad this great ensemble of instruments and sound was completely lost by the 80s.

80s, and early 00s.

[Things like Billy Joel, Elton John [80s?], and The Strokes [early 00s] ^^]

A fair bit of Elton John and Billy Joel hits were from the 70s. In fact, I think of them as primarily artists of the 70s who just had some hits later on. Although I don't know a great deal about Billy Joel as he has never been my favorite. I can't imagine songs like Piano Man, Just the Way You Are, and Tell Her About It having come from any time but the 70s.

Edited by Envy

It's hard to read this thread because of all the people generalising all music today and last decade as auto-tuned, uninspired, boring garbage. Maybe if you searched harder you'd find something you'd like. There's a lot of different artists out there of different genres. 

Anyway on topic:

My favourite decade is between this and the 00's. The rise of electro in this decade is awesome, and the 00's had some nice progressive electronic music.

I am unlearned in the arts of the electronic music. Teach me, O wise one.

I only just started listening to it a year or two ago and it takes a backburner to metal so I don't really know genres, artists and whatnot but I want to learn more.

The genres I've found I like the most are trance and hardstyle though.

I'm not sure I could decide on a particularly favorite decade - my most favorite era of music falls right into the mid to late 60s through the early 70s. I could actually say I love the 70s as a whole, but the sweet spot falls earlier.

The reason that era works so well for me is because my musical tastes lay primarily in instruments and the way they're played - the sound. Vocal styles, too, of course. A great balance between acoustic and electronic was struck during this time. A wide variety of instruments were used, as well. It was commonplace to have trumpet, trombone, saxophone sections and string sections in a lot of songs, and many bands actually founded themselves with them as full members of the band, instead of just being some background act in a couple of their songs.

I think we know its all about the wind instruments for me, but really it's a general instrumentation kind of thing, that was completely lost with the 80s. Like I love the harpsichord and organ, too!

I think this song is the best example, even though The Doors were never an ensemble with winds and strings, and this was a one-off deal for them... They did it beautifully in this song.

Since I can post two Youtube videos, I will post an example on the soul/r&b side, as well:

So sad this great ensemble of instruments and sound was completely lost by the 80s.

A fair bit of Elton John and Billy Joel hits were from the 70s. In fact, I think of them as primarily artists of the 70s who just had some hits later on. Although I don't know a great deal about Billy Joel as he has never been my favorite. I can't imagine songs like Piano Man, Just the Way You Are, and Tell Her About It having come from any time but the 70s.

You know it's interesting that music has taken a bit of a uniform shape lately. It's easy enough to predict what's coming next in a song because of the death of freeform. Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo of some sort, then a finish or fade out. A lot of songs follow this pattern in some way and they often use the same instruments.

Music of previous eras actually tried to experiment with the formula more so you can find a lot more unique songs out in the open instead of having to dig for them like you do now.

Part of why I like electronic is the fact that they don't always follow the formula and because there are little to no instruments in it they actually have to come up with a creative sound so their music doesn't just turn into repetitive beatmongering. (That's a word now)

The 90s does it perfectly for me. To me, it was the last decade and a quarter that music was perfect. A lot of the music in that era was very unique, enjoyable and creative. Some of the best rock music comes from there, like Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Korn and some others.

Groove metal was starting to rise too, with the breakthrough of bands such as Pantera and Machine Head.

To be fair, there was some crap released (Spice Girls, Barbie Girl, Creed, etc), but those were few and far in between.

Overall, great decade.

It's hard for me to pin down a single "favorite decade", since I like many popular artists and songs that span the 1960s-2000s, and some really good songs and artists were popular in time periods that I may not necessarily like as much in general. But if I'm allowed to define a decade as any 10 consecutive years, then I could tentatively say my favorite decade of popular music runs from 1976-1985 or so. There were a lot of genres popular in this decade which I like: pop/rock, arena rock, heartland rock, new wave, soft rock, slick R&B/funk, and even some disco/dance.

80s, and early 00s.

[Things like Billy Joel, Elton John [80s?], and The Strokes [early 00s] ^^]

I'd say Billy Joel's peak period of popularity, and his most well-remembered work, straddles the '70s and '80s, running from about 1977 (The Stranger album) to 1984 (An Innocent Man album). Of course, his recording career went on through the '80s and early '90s, but other than a handful of songs ("We Didn't Start The Fire", "The River Of Dreams", etc.), that part of his career isn't as popular or well-remembered. Billy Joel's pre-Stranger work wasn't all that popular on the charts at the time, and most people probably don't know much more than the song "Piano Man" from that period.

In contrast, Elton John's biggest string of hit singles, and his most popular and well-remembered work, was from the early-to-mid '70s (from 1971 to 1976 or so). Again, he continued to have hits, and sometimes even big hits, through the late '70s, '80s, and '90s, but his work from the later periods is mostly not as well-remembered, and not played often on classic/oldies radio.

I love a lot of the Alt. Rock and Grunge that came out of the 90's so I'll say that. The time period doesn't matter to me that much though, music is music.

The early 80's and 90's, with the birth of hip-hop/rap and the grunge culture in general.  :D

113.jpg

Definitely the 80's for me. Why? Because it was basically the best decade for the first traces Of Extreme/Technical Metal music.

Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Overkill, Destruction, Sodom, Kreator, Tankard, Voivod, Vio-Lence, Celtic Frost, Fates Warning, Sepultura, Vulcano, Deathrow, Razor, Sacrifice, Bathory, Venom, Possessed, Coroner, Death and others basically created the roots of Extreme and Technical Metal music until today

(edited)

WARNING: HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS

I'd say the 1950's-60's-80's-and 90's

Sorry 70's, you were dull as dirt, and overloaded with pretentious and painfully boring prog rock (example- Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, etc.). Though there were some exceptions with Pink Floyd, The Who, Frank Zappa reaching their heyday with groundbreaking albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Sheik Yerbouti, Who's Next, etc. The 70's also saw the advent of Punk Rock and several fringe genres, spawning highly praised artists like The Ramones, The New York Dolls, The Clash, and The Police. 

1950's was the precursor, and the grandmother of the impending cultural revolution that was to follow suit in the next decade. With the fusion of "black" music (Blues, Jazz, R&B,) and "white" music (Country, Folk) into a new genre (Rock and Roll) racial barriers were broken with this new sound that had many of the older generation fooled as being innocent, while in actuality having a profane, often sexual, double entendre that appealed to teens and young adults at the time. artists like Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters, Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard were at their prime. 

The 60's was perhaps the most groundbreaking decade, with the advent of many genres spawned by musical revolutionaries like The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Beach Boys, and The Rolling Stones. 

the 1980's saw a falling out from the Punk response to early 70's prog rock, spawning New Wave, Synthpop, Post-Punk, Alternative Rock, and other Post-Punk subgenres. This was refreshing at first, and many good acts came out of this. Early New Wave was particularly timeless and attractive to me, groups like the Talking Heads, The Police, Oingo Boingo, and Men At Work. 

1980s - Still a good decade, but even though early synthesizers sounded cool for some songs, I feel it got a bit overused. 7/10

Like he said, after a while, synths got old. 

The 90's were a hit or miss decade for me, being a big critic of grunge and the likes of "alternative rock" i don't care for any of the sappy and, quite irritating Nirvana records. I also happen to despise Linkin Park and other "Nu Metal" genres, but this goes for the majority of metal, in my opinion. We did see the interesting dawn of Golden Age Hip Hop, which i enjoy to a limited extent. The Boston-Cambridge Indie music scene was at its highest, fronted by the genius of Mark Sandman and his bands Morphine and Treat Her Right, playing a type of Rock music unfit for classification, combining Blues, Jazz, and a 3 piece power trio line-up lacking a guitar, relying on a Baritone Sax instead.

Edited by Vox

1980\s good songs but not my taste in music.

1990's a lot of disco but again not my taste.

2000's alot of nightcore was popular in this decade.

2010's when dubstep and electronic music go very popular so I would have to choose this decade.

(edited)

Just to be snarky and different, I'm going to go with the 1780's.

That's a great decade, actually!

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I do enjoy the 1680's and 1780's. Weren't they quite the smashing decades? Beethoven was the best, huh? Oh.. We're talking about the same 80's, right?

'Cause clearly the 1980's is the only decade that can be called the "80's".

Edited by Snow Berry~<3