Did you like it?  

295 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

So upon re-watching this episode, I caught a reference that is so subtle, it went entirely over my head the first time. I knew I recognized this character from somewhere, but when I realized who it was, it totally blew my mind.
sig-4253726.4Ta2uP1.png

It's totally Danny, from The Shining.
sig-4253726.The-Shining-Danny-Rocket-swe

After much scrolling and page flipping, I see I'm not the first to catch this one. Brilliant reference.

• 1 month later...

I still don't understand why Discord says "Have you no heart?" when Fluttershy suggests they all go to dinner together. :/

Probably because he wanted it to be just him and her.

Any episode with Discord in it I enjoy. I feel like this episode showed off more of Discord.

Diffently my favorite part of this episode is at the end when Celestia says how she invited Discord for the fun he brings, and Twilight's face was priceless.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie's grabbing the camera and shaking it may be a sign that in a future episode Pinkie is eventually going to actually jump out of the screen and give us all great big hugs.

I also like how she seems to enjoy the Smooze attacks. She even dances with the Smooze at the end.

Fun Episode.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

After watching the season, this is the best episode with Discord or  his best participation of the whole season, and it was very entertaining featuring Fluttershy

Edited by ImpctR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another episode involving the Grand Galloping Gala, and Discord finds himself on the receiving end of the green-eyed monster known as "Jealousy."

Not a bad way to bring back another older generation monster like the Smooze, though when he got too big and flooded the ballroom, I kind of felt upset over how Celestia seemed to not be enjoying this with having her mane and wings drooping with slime and being unable to use her horn either due to the tip being blocked by some of the Smooze's ooze as well. However, she threw me for a loop when she revealed at the end she was actually enjoying it, and sounded even more cheerful and energetic than usual about it! Never underestimate Celestia when it comes to livening up the Gala in various ways she sees fit to give her the excitement she craves!

For me, I think I'll give this episode a 9/10 since it helped Discord overcome another part of friendship when it comes to being jealous.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

the episode was great to watch and the writers made discord's insecurity look realistic. it is a common problem people face when one of their friends decide to take them to the party by leaving the other out.

Edited by LotusPeony

• 3 weeks later...

While I am not as overly fond of this episode as many others are, I did find it to be at least somewhat enjoyable.

I really liked the scene with Pinkie and Discord in Sugarcube Corner and the Smooze was a pretty good new character to be introduced to the series.

I also enjoyed seeing Fluttershy stepping out of her comfort zone and being able to make a new friend in Treehugger all by herself.

I felt that it made for some good character development.

Plus the sock puppet scene was pretty funny as well.

The same goes for Applejack crying over Apple Bloom getting ready for the Gala.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

This one's funny. Discord is a jerk and I don't know why the ponies keep him around, but he's always fun to watch, and the Smooze is honestly kinda adorable. Add in Maud in a much improved second appearance, funny moments from just about all the mane six, the goofy hippie vibes of Tree Hugger, and a little bit of prankster Celestia at the end, and you have a recipe for something delightful. And the moral about how having multiple friends is acceptable is a bit more specific to the younger viewers, but it's a nice moral nonetheless. This one's a good time all around.

Score:
Entertainment: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Themes: 8/10
Story: 8/10
Overall: 85/100

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m in the minority here, as I just didn’t like this episode. I admit, part of it was because of his last episode, where he betrayed them all, then got redeemed by doing absolutely nothing. As a result, watching him act like a complete jerk all episode just wasn’t funny to me.

I liked everything that wasn’t about him.

I’ll add that I liked the outfits. In one of the much earlier episode threads, I mentioned that I found Rarity’s outfits to be hit or miss. Now, I find I like them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the funniest episode since Too Many Pinkie Pies. All of the gags are top notch and they're incredibly consistent. Discord works here because he actually learns a lesson from his actions and listens to Fluttershy when she calls out his behavior. Three's a Crowd tried a similar sense of humor with Discord messing with characters and being a jerk, but that episode failed because Discord had no motivation and didn't learn anything. By contrast, this episode gives Discord a motivation for what he does and makes sure he learns a lesson. 

Something else I love is that the episode manages to include a large cast of characters without feeling cluttered. All of the mane six, the CMC, Celestia, Spike, and Maud all get little moments to shine and it helps to keep Discord from getting too old. And there's also Tree Hugger who is such a hippie stereotype that she makes me laugh every time. I love her voice, how every line of hers is stuffed with random hippie words, and that background music is perfect.

Another great thing is how well the Gala is set up. Every scene is the perfect length, he goes to a variety of locations so it's constantly interesting, and Discord arrives at the Gala before the 1st act is even over. This allows the 2nd act to take its time and get even more gags out of Discord's situation.

Despite all of this, there is one pretty big problem. Discord's misery is contrived. Fluttershy is incredibly unaware here, not picking up on a lot of Discord really obvious signs that he's upset with her. When Discord blows up at Tree Hugger at the end, Fluttershy says she doesn't know why Discord is doing it, which is dumb. And there are a lot of lines from Fluttershy and seem to be specifically designed to make Discord mad. Like, she's constantly saying about how Tree Hugger is the funniest pony she's ever met and how she's never met anypony as funny as Tree Hugger. Lines like these are not just unnatural, but they give Discord some merit in thinking Fluttershy is ignoring him. So when Fluttershy calls out Discord, it's kinda awkward that the episode doesn't acknowledge that Fluttershy shares some of the blame for Discord's actions.

But those problems don't take too much away from such a fantastic episode. Examples of such episodes have been getting rarer and rarer since season 4 and it's nice to see one again.

Score: 9/10

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I loved this episode, it was hilarious, discord was at his very best, this kind of role suits him the most: he is like an antihero he is more neutral and not past causing some destruction but actually he is just jealous and wants attention. Celestia knows what she is doing, good job. Tree huger was... is she on something?:mlp_wat: I did enjoy her though. Maud roasting discord is my favorite. 9\10

It was nice to see the improved relationship between discord and the mane 6, its clear they trust him more here.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I never got around to watching this episode until now. It was really hilarious. There should have been more discord centered episodes for sure and this one takes the cake of one of the best episodes in the series to me. Tree Hugger is adorable here, wish we saw more of her. A lot of discord's jokes, his antics, etc is hilarious and the Smooze was a great addition! I love when Maud said "Your the most basic of jokes" and everyone laughed, we should have seen Discord interact with Maud though.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
On 2020-12-26 at 6:44 AM, Monotonality said:

I never got around to watching this episode until now. It was really hilarious. There should have been more discord centered episodes for sure and this one takes the cake of one of the best episodes in the series to me. Tree Hugger is adorable here, wish we saw more of her. A lot of discord's jokes, his antics, etc is hilarious and the Smooze was a great addition! I love when Maud said "Your the most basic of jokes" and everyone laughed, we should have seen Discord interact with Maud though.

I agree. Quite a hilarious episode for many reason. I like this one too.

There is so many going on in this episode. The actual setup of the plot, the first look into Discords home, Treehuger!, Pinkie breaking the 4th wall, Reappearance of the Grant Galloping Gala etc

And I really like Discord place and all the chaotic (inverted) stuff he does.

When Smooze comes through the door and the filly is shaking: This was a reference to The Shining.

I also really was fascinated by the look into the other dimension. The Creators must have been a good time writing and making this.

There was cleary a lot to like for me. What I dislked was seeing not more of Treehuger.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
(edited)

The Smooze returns, Maud calls Discord the most basic of jokes, Rarity's new Gala dress, and Tree Hugger's tuneful whinnying.

This episode is so much fun (with a dash of bitter chaos.) 

:sealed:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

On 2016-01-15 at 5:58 PM, AmberDust said:

I still don't understand why Discord says "Have you no heart?" when Fluttershy suggests they all go to dinner together. :/

I always saw it as part of the joke, you know? Like, clearly she HAS a heart which is why she's invited them all haha

In my version of this episode, I find it comical that Discord is THOUSANDS of years old... dedicated to CHAOS and nonsense and yet... still didn't understand wholesome friendships so that aspect of himself was under-developed and his clingy, possessiveness would just get out of hand and probably read as someone who's in love and jealous when he's really just... needing to learn that you can have other friends too...

Evidence of this (lack of understanding friendships/positive connection) is shown when someone SQUEAAAALSSSS at Shmooze's presence and he registers this as something casual and positive and is all "ohh gotta go, someone is calling me!" 

Haha! But I don't mind those that ship Fluttershy/Discord. Even though that certainly came as a shock to me when I saw it in the beginning of the fandom :mlp_laugh:

• 1 year later...

Loved this episode. It's a classic episode in my opinion though I would have wanted to see some episode about what they would have done with Discord after he had betrayed the Mane 6 for Tirek in Season 4. Feels like they skipped a period of time there, but I like the introduction of Tree Hugger. The lesson of this episode is important, its okay for your friends to have other friends. It's something that I have struggled with in the past - with feelings of jealousy and envy towards friends of other friends, but as I grew older the more I understand about social relationships. Tree Hugger was a really nice character and I loved the jokes. The Smooze was interesting though, where did he come from? Did Discord really know him for all that time?