Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unrealistic expectations of the fandom?

Breezeoverthewater

Hello everyone.

I would like to tak about bronies. And specifically, about expectations that a new comer may have, after joining the fandom.

I know at least several people, who were very disappointed, if not devastated by reality, after holding very deep and high expectations. Well, maybe they weren't expecting the friendliness of some ponies from mane 6, but at least your average Ponyville folks. And instead, they've got fairly cold reception, combined with nitpicks and other unspeasant things. Some of them eventually left, losing faith in bronies and the fandom.

So, what'd you say about it? Are bronies overrated, and have you faced such attitude towards yourselves?

• Brohoof 4

I excpected maybe too much when I joined, but i saw that when there are those people who are jerks there are also people who arent and I see that here in this forum its happy and people are happy but when I go in other brony sites its not so happy and i feel confused because of that. Its why I said myself that I don't need listen those jerks and I can be happy with my friend ponies =)

• Brohoof 8

Unfortunately this is just how fandoms are in general. You would think bronies would be drastically different from others, but being a relatively large fandom you're going to find many different kinds of people, both good and bad. As a whole it's probably not all that different from the general population, but there are still some great people among us :)

• Brohoof 4

@Breezeoverthewater

Modified the topic title to allow for a less biased approach to the topic and draw in opinions from both sides without the 1st impression being that this a topic inviting self perpetuating negativity. 

Depends on your frame of reference. I'm 38. I've seen some things and growing up in Philadelphia likely did not give me a better than neutral look at people in general. This fandom, (non scientifically compared to the breadth of contacts, other fandoms, and human populace that I have interacted with over the decades) is more friendly on average. 

• Brohoof 4

I believe that it is unwise to want to want to join a community or fandom just to be a member. You should have a clear distinction to contribute, whether is be artisic talent, administration, etc. That way, if the community dosn't live up to your expectations, you can just pack up and move on. If being in the community is your only reason for being in the community, then you'll just end up disappointed if things go down hill or never pick up to begin with.

That being said, when I first joind the Forums, I said that it was opne of the friendliest sites I've ever seen, and I still stand by that. I have yet to see any serious disagreements that have devolved to simply throwing insults *cough*YouTubecommentssection*cough*. I joined the fandom at large with no real expectations, so I was pleasantly suprised to find it's above-avarage disposition.

• Brohoof 6

No we are not "overrated." I've been in this fandom since season one and welcoming new bronies into it all the way till now. My experience here, real life, and on Youtube with fellow bronies has been overwhelmingly positive, with them being courteous, welcoming, and kind. 

• Brohoof 5

Hm... well, I can see a point, but what about people that aren't welcomed to any fandoms or communities? What should they do?

(Hope this question won't be percieved as off-topic, I just don't see a point in creating a whole thread because of it)

• Brohoof 1

Hm... well, I can see a point, but what about people that aren't welcomed to any fandoms or communities? What should they do?

(Hope this question won't be percieved as off-topic, I just don't see a point in creating a whole thread because of it)

Nobody welcomes you anywhere.You just go

.And what should they do?Start caring and stuff.That way they will be one of the fandom.

(edited)

No we are not "overrated." I've been in this fandom since season one and welcoming new bronies into it all the way till now. My experience here, real life, and on Youtube with fellow bronies has been overwhelmingly positive, with them being courteous, welcoming, and kind.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've seen things get ugly on YouTube when the subject of Bronies comes up, and an emotional one gets in a flame war with an obvios troll and others get involved. Things are usually pretty calm in comment sections consisting of mostly Bronies.

Good, my comment made it through. I posted it as the site got a code 500

Edited by TopQuark
  • Brohoof 4

I think a lot of fans expect their headcanons and ideas to come to life in the show.

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've seen things get ugly on YouTube when the subject of Bronies comes up, and an emotional one gets in a flame war with an obvios troll and others get involved. Things are usually pretty calm in comment sections consisting of mostly Bronies.

Good, my comment made it through. I posted it as the site got a code 500

I wasn't saying my post in response to your's I just found it exceptional that the youtube comments section is where I've found kindness amongst bronies.

Stop looking for bronies where there are none.

• Brohoof 3

The fandom is a collection of people with similar interest. Nothing less, nothing more.

You should try looking for the good individual, instead of a fakely positive group.

Personally I don't really feel myself part of the fandom, it is a personal preference.
Not to mention I don't care much about other's preference. It's live and let live.

I do think of many things as negative or at least annoying but as long as people have their fun.
I don't mind.

• Brohoof 1

During my nearly 2 year stay on this Forum, I can't really say that I've seen many negative things on this forum. Around 98% of the people I spoke to on this forum were real friendly people willing to help if they could and even welcome "newbies". The only thing that you need to do when joining a fandom, is engage with the fandom, maybe PM some people that you find interesting to talk to or just random people in general on here (Because I can't really believe anyone reading this would be like "Oh fuck off, mind your own business" or anything like that (Mind my language btw)).

I've been in a few fandoms and I think this fandom (Or this forum rather) is the friendliest place I've been in. Never have I encountered nicer people on both, the internet, or the real life (Except for one exception in RL)

• Brohoof 3

Hello everyone. I would like to tak about bronies. And specifically, about expectations that a new comer may have, after joining the fandom. I know at least several people, who were very disappointed, if not devastated by reality, after holding very deep and high expectations. Well, maybe they weren't expecting the friendliness of some ponies from mane 6, but at least your average Ponyville folks. And instead, they've got fairly cold reception, combined with nitpicks and other unspeasant things. Some of them eventually left, losing faith in bronies and the fandom. So, what'd you say about it? Are bronies overrated, and have you faced such attitude towards yourselves?

Here's my question: Why should I care? The idea that there is a standard or expectation that isn't being met because of someone's misconception about bronies seems pretty irrelevant at best. 

I believe that it is unwise to want to want to join a community or fandom just to be a member. You should have a clear distinction to contribute, whether is be artisic talent, administration, etc. 

I disagree with this, a lot. To me, a fandom should never have some 'expectation' of new members, other than that member being a fan of whatever it is the fandom is about. What more can anyone ask for? Fan art, music, and all of that, it is rather nice and is a great way to show appreciation for something or indulge into it even further, but as for 'expectations'? I feel like the only expectation that a fandom should have, is that you are a fan of whatever it is, which is a given. Nothing more. That is my opinion at least. This seems opposite of the original question though, so I hope I am not derailing anything here. Just wanted to give my two cents on that.

As for the question, what 'expectations' due new members have of us exactly? I am just unsure how that would work, having strict expectations for a massive group of people with many different interests, personalities, and many other things that set them apart. The connecting factor is their love for the show, I am not sure what else one could expect, because you are going to find people of all kinds in this fandom, just like any other. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I disagree with this, a lot. To me, a fandom should never have some 'expectation' of new members, other than that member being a fan of whatever it is the fandom is about. What more can anyone ask for? Fan art, music, and all of that, it is rather nice and is a great way to show appreciation for something or indulge into it even further, but as for 'expectations'? I feel like the only expectation that a fandom should have, is that you are a fan of whatever it is, which is a given. Nothing more. That is my opinion at least. This seems opposite of the original question though, so I hope I am not derailing anything here. Just wanted to give my two cents on that.

As for the question, what 'expectations' due new members have of us exactly? I am just unsure how that would work, having strict expectations for a massive group of people with many different interests, personalities, and many other things that set them apart. The connecting factor is their love for the show, I am not sure what else one could expect, because you are going to find people of all kinds in this fandom, just like any other. 

Whoops, I guess my examples of 'distinctions' were a little to specific. It could be kindness, or witt, or any trait that you put effort into giving to the community. It doesn't necessarily have to be a practical skill. You shouldn't join a community and expect the friendship to just fall into your lap; you need to put time and effort into it. (see post #74 at https://mlpforums.com/topic/130081-km-hayes-poniverse-qa-1/page-4)

Edited by TopQuark
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
So, what'd you say about it? Are bronies overrated, and have you faced such attitude towards yourselves?

I don't understand this question. When I have finished the show and started to search for fan stuff I have realized, that bronies are exist. So I have thrown myself into the discovery of the fandom. It's a group of people who shares interests but it doesn't mean that everybody is the same. There are people who can be mean and irritating but it's true for all fandoms. I have negative experiences as well about this fandom, but accuse it to be overrated cuz people experienced "fairly cold reception, combined with nitpicks and other unspeasant things" is just unexplicable. 

I can understand that first impression can be critical but it's just inexact to adjudge all the members. For example, this forum is the most friendliest place I have ever been. People are kind and helpful if you have anything you want to discuss. If I had a chance to suggest groups for people who want to talk with other fans, I would definetly show them this forum first.

Edited by Kerberossz
  • Brohoof 1

@@Breezeoverthewater

Just letting you know I moved your thread to Sugarcube Corner as it was dealing with a brony-related topic. :)

• Brohoof 1

Thats correct up to a certain part. I've seen a few bronies occasionally out there bullying other fandoms. But thats the VERY small minority. The rest is correct.

Expectations? Made a lot a new friends. Having a great time in the fandom. And the list goes on and on......

Reality? Nope,kinda,nope,nope,nope.

But hey,it's a thing,right? :lol:  All these pony stuffs are actually enough to keep me happy :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

As for me, and some people I've known, the experience of communication with bronies was... unpleasant, to say the least. From little to no good came from them, most of the time. And I'm not talking about average fans. No, I'm talking about those, who are all about 'Love and Tolerance' thingy. So, you cannot judge them like the regular fans. If they tell, that they are like this, and will love and tolerate anyone, you're expecting them to be at least friendly, right? Well, you're wrong. They aren't better, and, often worse than regular fans, who just won't bother to even respond. Maybe it's a biased viewpoint, but that's how it been for several people.

Sorry for messy writing, I'm just nervous and tired.

And I'm not talking about average fans. No, I'm talking about those, who are all about 'Love and Tolerance' thingy. So, you cannot judge them like the regular fans. If they tell, that they are like this, and will love and tolerate anyone, you're expecting them to be at least friendly, right? Well, you're wrong.

Still don't understand. Can I ask where did you exactly meet these "unpleasent" members of the fandom?