Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will we see the background ponies in speaking roles in the future?

Ion

15 users have voted

1. 1. Should the background ponies return with speaking roles?

• Yes (Why would they not!?)
    • No

(edited)

Hey everypony,

Whether you liked episode 100 or not, I'm sure most of you are happy about at least some of the background ponies speaking roles. Do you think (And like the idea) that we should see some of these ponies have minor roles in future episodes? I for one would love to see Derpy have some interaction with characters like Pinkie or Twilight, even if its just a few lines here or there.

Anyways what do you all think?

Edited by Ion
  • Brohoof 2

While I would personally love additional interactions, I wouldn't expect it. Though I can still hope for the occasional line of dialog like we have heard in the past from the townsfolk. 

I certainly hope that we will see the background ponies get roles again in future episodes.

I also want Vinyl Scratch to talk, damnit!

• Brohoof 1

NoOOO! Vinyl Scratch MUST be a mute and/or nonverbal! D: Mute/nonverbal hardly get recognition and representation, and usually if they do it's negative or their whole lives revolve around them not talking/unable to talk.

Anyway, I would love so, but it better not be fan-pandering bullsh*t again. That episode was so cringeworthy I almost threw up. I will admit, I'm happy to see some reference and stuff, let alone hearing Derpy/Muffins talk, but that was horrific, and I'm sure the original audience didn't understand a God damn thing what was going on. Not even bronies knew what the Hell was happening to be quite honest.

Just don't ruin it next time, okay Hasbro (AND Larson)?

Probably, there has been the occasional background pony speaking role even before the 100th episode but episodes like the 100th episode probably won't come around very often.

I sure hope so.  I would love for them to appear here and there, with minor lines.  They've been added as characters in a much more real way, now.  Let's not just forget about them!

Anyway, I would love so, but it better not be fan-pandering bullsh*t again. That episode was so cringeworthy I almost threw up. I will admit, I'm happy to see some reference and stuff, let alone hearing Derpy/Muffins talk, but that was horrific, and I'm sure the original audience didn't understand a God damn thing what was going on. Not even bronies knew what the Hell was happening to be quite honest.

Just don't ruin it next time, okay Hasbro (AND Larson)?

I disagree with this, but I want to start by saying that I understand, conceptually, how and why one might have this opinion regarding fanservice.  I really do.  This is exactly how I felt about The Matrix 2 & 3.  As soon as we got to what has been dubbed "The Burly Brawl" in Reloaded, it really felt like the creators were making fun of their own franchise.  (They used a bowling pin knockover sound effect for the Smiths, for f*ck's sake.)  It felt like they had taken the popularity and the memes that had spawned, and used that in the worst possible way to promote the sequels.  It really felt like they were breaking the 4th wall when Smith said his trademark line in Reloaded, "Mr. Anderson."  I guess it's subtle, but it just made a laughing stock of those movies, imo.  I feel the same way about this upcoming Terminator Genisys.  It looks like one big internet meme, as if the whole movie could be condensed down to one gif of old Arnold vs. new Arnold with a caption.  Making fun of their own franchise, I swear.

But I really don't feel like that's the case with Slice of Life.  It works in this franchise.  I thought it was perfect, and I can't really think of any way it could have been done better, aside from very minor tweaks according to my preferences.  But I'm just curious, NonbinaryDuck, what you have preferred instead?  How would you have done it differently, had you been in charge?  Or would you have preferred no background pony episode at all?  Just wondering.  Not trying to be antagonistic.

Yes, definitely. We don't need another episode 100 so soon, but a little character development would be fine. Something along the lines of Zecora, or Big Mac, or Granny Smith, or Braeburn, or even lesser parts like Mayor Mare or the Cakes or the pets.

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure it sounds nice in theory, but given the 100th episode, you can't really expect them to do anything crazy with the background characters in the future. Personally, it blows me away that they somehow got permission to do an episode that completely breaks focus on the main characters and introduces to the audience (some of whom might not recognize them) a bunch of different new characters.

The only reason I can see them being allowed to use background characters more in the future is just with the goal of encouraging toy sales from the kid audience.

I think we just might, if Canned Cream's predictions are anything to go by. It does seem like the writers are testing the waters, like they did with re-introducing Derpy back to the foreground, in "Rainbow Falls". And Twilight does mention, in a spoiler clip for some future episode, that they have to make new friends.

(edited)

Yes! That would be a good idea now that they have voices.

That would be annoying if they talked only in this episode.

Edited by Blobulle

Though here's the million bit question: does this mean Bon-Bon finally has an assigned VA, or will she go back to having a different voice each time? :lol:

Ditto the rest of them for that matter (like how Doc had a different voice twice before Pete broke out an English accent for him)... :huh: