Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What If Amending Fences Was Actually The 100th Episode?

Denim&Venöm

How would you all have reacted a few weeks ago had Amending Fences been aired as the 100th episode? I mean it does harken back to the first episode, has Twilight looking back to how she was, and we get to see how much she's grown over 99 episodes. We also get new characters and backstory on some old ones. Plus we get a heartfelt moral and a conclusion with feels. It almost feels like that maybe Don't get me wrong. Slice Of Life was amazing and is my new favorite episode, but Amending Fences feels like it was a 100th episode candidate, but lost out, yet somepony said, "lets keep this for a future episode."

What do you all think? Would this have made a good 100th episode? More or less so than Slice Of Life?

I cannot be sure. They both seemed to have a good moral to it and we were shown interesting things from each episode. In Slice Of Life, we got to see and episode from the background ponies' point of view. And in Amending Fences, we kind of got a blast from the past. They were both interesting to me.

I feel like Slice of Life was a better 100th episode as it was purely a letter of appreciation to the fans, I feel like that is very appropriate because without us, I don't think we would have ever seen episode 100 for this show.

You do make great points though, I will say that if they did not make Slice of Life, then Amending Fences would have been the next best option. It was a very special episode as well. <3

How would you all have reacted a few weeks ago had Amending Fences been aired as the 100th episode? I mean it does harken back to the first episode, has Twilight looking back to how she was, and we get to see how much she's grown over 99 episodes. We also get new characters and backstory on some old ones. Plus we get a heartfelt moral and a conclusion with feels. It almost feels like that maybe Don't get me wrong. Slice Of Life was amazing and is my new favorite episode, but Amending Fences feels like it was a 100th episode candidate, but lost out, yet somepony said, "lets keep this for a future episode."

What do you all think? Would this have made a good 100th episode? More or less so than Slice Of Life?

Mitch wrote both episodes. And he is the story editor this season, which was Meghan's job before she became an alicorn princess.

Oh yeah, your question. "Slice of Life" AND "Amending Fences" both featured callbacks and background characters. With a little bit of story for AJ, Dash, Rarity, and Pinkie, these could have been "A Very Special", hour long, one hundredth episode.

• 4 months later...

Amending Fences is unquestionably much more superior than Slice of Life. The story feels tighter, and the characters are more grounded and focused.

But would it be the better choice for the 100th episode than Slice of Life? No. Slice of Life is developed as a pure thank-you celebration for the fans. Without the fandom, who knows if FIM would've passed two seasons. It's a hit that keeps on growing. Amending Fences calls back to the pilot, but it doesn't feel any bit like a celebration. Everything Slice of Life does has a celebratory, lighthearted, loosey-goosey feel. The fanservice in SoL is 100% justified because any serialized cartoon to even reach fifty is an enormous feat, especially if there are at most twenty-six episodes per season. Slice of Life makes FIM the longest TV production by Hasbro of all-time, and the fanservice was used to acknowledge the fanbase's impact as well as the close relationship between the staff and fandom. To air it at any other time would've been completely inappropriate.

Edited by Dark Qiviut