Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Writers in Harmony Q&A

Simon

In truth, there is not to huge a difference between animating a movie or show, and developing a game, at least at the bases. I could very much see something like this in your future, its what you do with the tools your given thats important. You could also go a newer route aswell, that being the E-Book market, creating add books, that are basically animation and a game mixed into one.

Other then Minty I have a few others on my team that are in game design including our lead storyboarder if your ever interested in talking to them about this or seeking any advice

I'm currently a college student going for game development and design the interactive story telling path. Do you think something like this could be in the cards for me in the future? I mean what advice would you give me?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Thought it would be nice to ask two questions to both of you, Minty and Cast.

Firstly, when did you start to watch MLP:FiM? Where did you hear it about it at first? What do you like most about the show?

And secondly, what other franchises are you into besides MLP:FiM?

Edited by Odyssey

In truth, there is not to huge a difference between animating a movie or show, and developing a game, at least at the bases. I could very much see something like this in your future, its what you do with the tools your given thats important. You could also go a newer route aswell, that being the E-Book market, creating add books, that are basically animation and a game mixed into one.

Other then Minty I have a few others on my team that are in game design including our lead storyboarder if your ever interested in talking to them about this or seeking any advice

That would be amazing! I would love to so much!!!

I'm currently a college student going for game development and design the interactive story telling path. Do you think something like this could be in the cards for me in the future? I mean what advice would you give me?

I'm studying 3D animation for cinema, so my knowledge about game development isn't very big, however, in both the most important thing is the team. Good communication within the team will help a lot getting things done right. Having clear intentions of what you want to do, what the project is about will help the team members in many way. Getting the art direction right, the music fitting the tone, the acting fitting the story and not having to worry about the team working too much on things that don't really matter to the project.

Thought it would be nice to ask two questions to you, Minty and Cast.

Firstly, when did you start to watch MLP:FiM? Where did you hear it about it at first? What do you like most about the show?

I knew about the fandom for a while, but I just thought it was more some sort of ironic fandom. I saw Fighting is Magic and I thought it was done as some sort of joke game, making ponies cool for grownups. I found out that my best friend had some figurines back in mid-2012 and the first thing I knew was that I didn't have long before I would become a brony. Gave the first episode a try and I enjoyed it so I continued to watch the show. I like the show because of the universe and the characters, it feels like a world I'd like to visit.

What are your plans for the future? Also, do you plan on releasing Dinky's Destiny as a full 30 minute feature?

Also, where did the cinematic idea of Dinky's near-literal shattering come into play? I enjoyed that depiction, personally. Itt was quite unique.

Working on reviving Dinky's Destiny as Project Bloom, since the time to animate a full 30 minutes by myself would be a nightmare I decided to cut a bit the length and to go with around ten minutes, maybe more if I can. The animation won't be show style, as I want to experiment with a new style that works better with the story.

As for the shattering scene, I don't even remember how I came up with it. I think I just wanted to show that Dinky felt useless and broken, and as a way to make us realize that the whole thing is a dream we decided to break her like a porcelain figurine.

• Brohoof 3

Hi there ^_^

ok question 1- I got into MLP FIM about mid season 1, I was researching what kids were watching, and MLP FIM kept popping up in the corner so I clicked it to make it go away, and well I fell in love from the first episode and kept on watching, soon after I discovered MLP forums here (I think the same week) and been here ever since.

Second- IM a huge Disney fan, I have been my entire life, one thing I want to do with my life is bring back the classic style of cartoons and storytelling, I love there old stuff, and really want to create entertainment designed for not just little girls or boys, but something they can both get into and bring back a part of what we lost when Walt Disney died.

Thought it would be nice to ask two questions to both of you, Minty and Cast.

• Brohoof 2

Thats all the art for now that we can spare to show you. Alot of work is on the way, and we all hope you will enjoy it

For your entertainment, here is a sneak peak at some of the work behind our animation series, Equestrian Tales.

post-1534-0-43454800-1437004974_thumb.jpg

post-1534-0-17385300-1437005008_thumb.jpg

post-1534-0-93082600-1437005073_thumb.jpg

post-1534-0-70783900-1437005088_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

Cast, what are you opinions of your Art and VA departments? Is there anything that there is that you feel is lacking, or anything that you feel that you excel in?

Also, Cast, what canon character (be it Discord, Starswirled, Celestia, Luna, Tirek, Scorpian, et cetera) do you think will have the best role in Equestria Tales? Are you going to be focusing in on one of these characters, or on the perception of a different one? Will one of them be a narrator?

Are there any other particular jewels that you are fond of from the art/voice department?

• Brohoof 1

How many man-hours do you think it takes to do what you guys do? Animating and designing and rendering a 10-minute short must take awhile.

Well from the writing side of things, Cast, Marcato and I along with others will spend like 4 or 5 hours just talking " what if" about the show's world 

From what i have seen our crew can work pretty fast! THEY  ARE AWESOME!

Forgive me as I am relatively new to the fan base. I have seen dinkys destiny part 1 and it is amazing. But is there any more to it? Again I'm new to the fandom so I apologize.

I had to put the series under indefinite hiatus because of some drama that happened after the release, but don't worry, the story of Dinky's Destiny will return in Project Bloom, slightly differently presented, but with the same characters and ideas.

How many man-hours do you think it takes to do what you guys do? Animating and designing and rendering a 10-minute short must take awhile.

I lost the count on Dinky's Destiny, but think of working on it for eight months, around two hours a day, with other members of the team working on it too. We built three different 3D models of Canterlot just to get it right within the different views we've seen in the show, the last one being inspired by Minas Tirith and the city of Quebec.

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry for being so outdated on all the information and I don't really have the time to read through every post in the thread to catch up on new info.

Anyway, what happened to the film you guys were working on? Did you drop it or is this Equestria(n?) Tales series the same thing but just not as a film?

Also, I assume you still have a lot of work to do before any of this is released. Are you concerned that your audience might be smaller than what you first expected as the community probably will have dropped in numbers by the time the production is finished?

I lost the count on Dinky's Destiny, but think of working on it for eight months, around two hours a day, with other members of the team working on it too. We built three different 3D models of Canterlot just to get it right within the different views we've seen in the show, the last one being inspired by Minas Tirith and the city of Quebec.

How many members are on the team? Also, you mentioned Canterlot; did you make a model of Ponyville as well? There are several paradoxes in the show's Ponyville regarding where buildings are placed relative to each other; I'm wondering how you might have solved the paradoxes.

• Brohoof 1

How many members are on the team? Also, you mentioned Canterlot; did you make a model of Ponyville as well? There are several paradoxes in the show's Ponyville regarding where buildings are placed relative to each other; I'm wondering how you might have solved the paradoxes.

Well I can say we are taking a lot of steps to make sure we tie up loose ends and get our facts straight as accurate as possible.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say we were around 10 to 15 on it.

We didn't make one of Ponyville because it wasn't worth the time. Since we were only at one location of Ponyville we could get away with paradoxes, it was shown as a backdrop and that was all. Canterlot was a different story because we needed a good idea of the structure of present Canterlot to build past Canterlot out of it for the next acts. I couldn't fix all the paradoxes, but I wanted to at least make something coherent out of the city.

Will you guys be at trotcon or bronycon this year at all?

I will be at BronyCon 2015 and host a panel on fan animation. I will announce the official title of my next project and show an animation I've been working for the last months.

• Brohoof 2

Will you guys be at trotcon or bronycon this year at all?

We should have some at at least most of the conventions this year but I can say keep an eye on our youtube page for new content, announcments and even other panels you may have missed, I think we do have a panel at Bronycon though

Personally I have put in well over 4000 hours on writing, developing the series, building the crew and all the other business side stuff that needs to be done daily. Personally the 4000 is just a bad guess, I think about this show and crew from dusk to dawn almost every single day. I normally have to be threatened with objects to go to sleep lol

The entire crew here however has put in many long hours to bring you everything you see in the studio, and works still yet to come

• Brohoof 2

Personally I have put in well over 4000 hours on writing, developing the series, building the crew and all the other business side stuff that needs to be done daily. Personally the 4000 is just a bad guess, I think about this show and crew from dusk to dawn almost every single day. I normally have to be threatened with objects to go to sleep lol

The entire crew here however has put in many long hours to bring you everything you see in the studio, and works still yet to come

LOL Cast I think we both put in like.. around 2 months of sleepless nights XD lol those were good times! Hopefully we get to continue them!

Still trying to remember back but it's all blurry lol

How did I even become a part of WiH ? Cast do you remember? either way .. BEST CREW, CAST AND LEADERSHIP I HAVE EVER BEEN A PART OF!

Hi there, and dont worry your no bother lol,

As for the film, she came to an end about 6th months ago, shortly before we started talking about doing Equestrian Tales, all I will go into is the old team had a bit of a fall out, and some others wanted to do more original content so we parted ways. Almost the entire crew of Equestrian Tales and Writers in Harmony in general are brand new to the studio as of the launch of this new show, but we still do have a few left from the original crew, I wanted to save as much of our old story as we could, and built some of it into the seasons to come.

Question 2- we are not to worried about the fan base getting smaller, we have talked about this many times in the staff, and we think if we are able to do the kinds of content and the show as we imagine it right now, it just might re-spark the fandom. Sadly there is only so much we can show, still working on legal and all, but there is a lot more stuff and you guys will love it

I'm sorry for being so outdated on all the information and I don't really have the time to read through every post in the thread to catch up on new info.

Anyway, what happened to the film you guys were working on? Did you drop it or is this Equestria(n?) Tales series the same thing but just not as a film?

Also, I assume you still have a lot of work to do before any of this is released. Are you concerned that your audience might be smaller than what you first expected as the community probably will have dropped in numbers by the time the production is finished?