Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why don't you listen to pony music?

gLItcHyGeAR

So, lately the pony music community has been struggling for views. The most widely known and talented people have only a shadow of the fanbase of their elders, and there's a wide number of initiatives (like Horse Music Herald and Cider Party) who have been trying and failing to fix that. I'm just wondering what would make the wider fandom listen to pony music again, especially considering how it used to be our most popular community! As such, I've compiled some of the most common complaints I hear (and have now crossed my fingers this doesn't get moved to music as that'd kill the purpose of this thread entirely).

And remember, though this is phrased as a poll of sorts, this is MLP forums! Discussion is very welcome, although a simple letter or two would make me just as happy.

A - I don't know who the community's best and brightest are. They're just drowned out in the crowd!

B - Too much generic EDM. I watched pony music for its unique flavor, and that seems missing.

C - I have listened to a lot of modern pony music, and I just don't think the quality of any of it is up to par.

D - I joined after pony music's heyday, seasons 2-3, so I don't even know who was popular back when people listened to it.

E - You're asking the wrong person. I only listen to commercial music! It's the only good music, after all.

F - I already follow a bunch of pony musicians. You crazy, mate?

G - Other (please clarify)

A.

I don't know if Sam Synthis is a good one or not, but I like most of his music. I honestly don't know who the best ones are. 

Edited by joanro
  • Brohoof 1

So, lately the pony music community has been struggling for views. The most widely known and talented people have only a shadow of the fanbase of their elders, and there's a wide number of initiatives (like Horse Music Herald and Cider Party) who have been trying and failing to fix that. I'm just wondering what would make the wider fandom listen to pony music again, especially considering how it used to be our most popular community! As such, I've compiled some of the most common complaints I hear (and have now crossed my fingers this doesn't get moved to music as that'd kill the purpose of this thread entirely).

And remember, though this is phrased as a poll of sorts, this is MLP forums! Discussion is very welcome, although a simple letter or two would make me just as happy.

A - I don't know who the community's best and brightest are. They're just drowned out in the crowd!

B - Too much generic EDM. I watched pony music for its unique flavor, and that seems missing.

C - I have listened to a lot of modern pony music, and I just don't think the quality of any of it is up to par.

D - I joined after pony music's heyday, seasons 2-3, so I don't even know who was popular back when people listened to it.

E - You're asking the wrong person. I only listen to commercial music! It's the only good music, after all.

F - I already follow a bunch of pony musicians. You crazy, mate?

G - Other (please clarify)

A- Self explanatory

B- Not fond of EDM in the first place

D- Middle of S3 to be precise. And I barely know any great projects of the time in general. The most I know is Super Filly Adventure, Story of the Blanks, and a certain.... "spicy horse content" game :bedeyes:

G- I mostly listen to videogame music (to the point that I wouldn't know who the hay is Justin Bieber if not where for the haters  :D )

All of those except D and E?

I think there's so many who are trying to make music, the scene's gotten so big, it's hard to get noticed. Then there's the fact that a lot of it is generic elctric music, which isn't that good, or if it is good, they're still stuck in the shadow of the musicians who came before them.

Another thing, I feel like the early Brony musicians took more risks when they made their music.

I don't listen to "pony music", because I find the very idea of there being pony music outside of what the creators created to be silly. It's a fictional series. I just don't really get it.

Besides that, it is dominated by electric music. It's rare that I care much for electronic music, especially today's stuff, which, to be blunt, I do not like at all. I like music with a variety of instruments, those instruments being more on the acoustic side. The most electronic instruments I like are some electric guitar/bass and hammond organ, more than that and you're usually going to lose me. "Brony" music is mostly computerized stuff, right? I mean, I remember trying to listen to a "ska" Brony song and the trumpet/trombone/saxophone section was MIDI. I was done. I'll just go listen to the real thing.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I hate how things are with this; I'm gonna answer as truthfully as I may.

G: I got into other things.

I grew up a bit. My interests changed a bit, I still can enjoy pony music, but do not expect a download from me. I loved Rainbow Factory, I liked Discord and Swinga Da Plot was fantastic. However, nothing that I have seen recently has really _Wowed_ me. Whether it be a party song(Erbody but me), EDM(Bonfire), swing(Swinga Da Plot), orchestral(Born of Orion)-- whatever! It has to be satisfying to me. And nothing recent from the brony community has really done that.

Sorry for the long post. I've just been thinking about about this a bit.

Well, when it comes to music, most I know is whatever just comes on the radio. Have seen a bit of the fandom's music on the YouTubes as PMVs and heart alot of wossnames, Tombstone and that discord song. And that's what I think the trouble is, they call it pony music but it very rarely has anything to do with ponies. Like a good 70% of it either doesn't have lyrics or when it does it lacks any connection to the fandom other then just pictures flying past of ponies. When a guy that likes ponies makes music, it just makes it music. You kind of have to base it around being ponies, and if you do that, it sort of just makes it more of a parody. Which, admittedly i'd be all for.

Though really, wouldn't know where to look for the stuff to try it out.

Tl;Dr - I've been collecting a spread of opinions and make my first comments on its meaning, and a response to Envy (and anyone else curious really).

**Darn**, only notified me that my post got responses five minutes ago. The strangely timed notifications woke me up...

Anyway, looking at my collective responses from a bunch of different places, I get the feeling that it generally boils down to the complaint of "nothing stands out to me"... in a number of different ways, including the idea that it's almost solely EDM that's made across the pony scene (which it technically isn't but ~meh~). I've sort of come to the conclusion that in the frankly doomed push to get everyone noticed, the fandom has unintentionally equated or equivocated their best producers with their worst and kept all at the same, very low level of franchising... if I show some highly specific people's best music around, strong examples being FritzyBeat and Vylet Pony, most bronies will come to love the person even if their music is quote-on-quote "out of genre for them". I mean, what reason do you have to be in the pony fandom if not to goof off about ponies? ;P

Although looking at Envy's reply in particular, I can sympathize with the complaint "MIDI instruments, not real ones". It's just a different sound in the end... strictly speaking, there is a specific way to use it properly and that can sound exceptional with the right producer, but at the same time if you use it wrong (or literally just like you would "the real version" of the instrument) it just sounds REALLY off. And secondly, I do think pony music is silly too, but in a good way LOL! It's kinda laughable AwkwardMarina's Anthropology (of all things) is such a well-known and well-respected song. And, well, it deserves its popularity - it's a really good song, despite the intentionally goofy subject matter!

I have no interest in it. Simple as that. I like a few songs here and there but most of it is just not my usual style of music or fails to catch my interest in any way.

As a person who doesn't really care about lyrics it matters little what they're saying in the songs so the "pony" part of the music is irrelevant.

there are only like 3 or 4 fan made songs i actually find good
the main reason i don't listen to them is i don't want people to hear them (i listen to music loud XD)
and its not what i feel like listening too at the time :P

B.

I wouldn't criticise the music as "generic EDM" though. It's just all generic, EDM aside. The metal songs, the rock, the rap, other genres, they're all plain and unimaginative. 

My reason is a mix of most of those options, in particular:

D: The music now isn't as creative as it used to be.

A: maybe I can't find the good ones despite an abundance of them, but I'll never know if that's the case.

B, C: I also ended up with a huge variety of favorite styles of music, such as EDM but those rarely sound good to me, the new EDM songs being rather repetitive for their styles.

D: Like I mentioned earlier, and like it seems with the show, people don't seem as creative as they used to be, a reason for that could be the audience maturing and unable to be as creative as children or teens.

G: But I wouldn't know what the reason for the lack of creativity is, maybe I'm just becoming more cynical as I grow into adulthood. Who knows.

Perhaps the music community could use more advertising. I love pony music, and for the past few months, I've been searching all over Youtube for everything MLP related, from PMV parodies to fan-made originals. I've subscribed to multiple channels, such as Evening Star, Dagayemar, Forest Rain, AcousticMandoBrony, and missbunniswan. Yet, I still don't know who the "big ones" are.   

Edited by ChB

I rarely look for new music to listen to. Almost all my music library consists of songs I've heard in movies and shows, and the other ones are songs I've liked for years or that people send me, so I don't know much pony music and I'm not really interested.