Would MLP be more enjoyable to watch in 3D?

cider float

When I mean 3D I mean like with 3D glasses and an alteration of the episodes like in some movies these days since 3D movies seems to make the picture appear more alive. Of course it will still have the non-3D look as well.

(edited)

Stereoscopy doesn't work to well with 2D animation if you ask me. It'd look really awkward, especially if it was done just because and not the first thing they thought about when animating. 

Edited by Sage
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I'd want to watch every episode that way, but I'd try watching one.

It would be quite a bit of work for the studio to re-render the episode in 3D, because unlike in CGI films, there is no "actual" depth in the animation to begin with.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No. Anytime I watch in 3D, I start feeling dizzy, nauseous, or both. Watching FIM in 3D will literally ruin the experience for me because I'll feel physically sick.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

• 11 months later...

Speaking from this type of 3D effects, I'd pass on it. It might be fun to see pinkie pie jump out of the screen at you, but that's really the main effect you'd get from the show as is.

However, remaking the episodes in 3D models and animation, that could be quite interesting (think something like SFM).

When I mean 3D I mean like with 3D glasses and an alteration of the episodes like in some movies these days since 3D movies seems to make the picture appear more alive. Of course it will still have the non-3D look as well.

I guess it depends on the person. It's a cool concept, but 3D can give some people headaches and people like me, who's eyesight isn't so hot anymore would see it as blurred and kinda fuzzy.

The 3DS fire emblem games look REALLY awkward when they push the 2D pictures out from the backgrounds.  if you just adjust the depth of a 2D image, it actually is more distracting than helpful.  It would be a lot of effort to make the visuals worse.

However, remaking the episodes in 3D models and animation, that could be quite interesting (think something like SFM).

Oh, please no.

SFM ponies are monstrous abominations.  they look like clay.  even the really well done animations are held back by how creepy the fur, manes and eyes look.

The 3DS fire emblem games look REALLY awkward when they push the 2D pictures out from the backgrounds.  if you just adjust the depth of a 2D image, it actually is more distracting than helpful.  It would be a lot of effort to make the visuals worse.

Oh, please no.

SFM ponies are monstrous abominations.  they look like clay.  even the really well done animations are held back by how creepy the fur, manes and eyes look.

If they shrunk the heads down to a normal size, they would be a lot more tolerable for me. I'd like to see an episode animated in actual 3D, that would be pretty cool.

I dunno, I think 3D is a waste of cash anyway. Never had a movie 3D experience that made me speechless 

"how to train your dragon" used it expertly.  you felt THERE.  it managed to add dramatically to the experience without being distracting.  

"how to train your dragon" used it expertly.  you felt THERE.  it managed to add dramatically to the experience without being distracting.  

Which one, the second? I didn't feel that in the first movie at least :huh:

Which one, the second? I didn't feel that in the first movie at least :huh:

the first, i didn't see the second in 3d.  

what do you expect for a 3d movie?  do you want it to be so audacious that you stop paying attention to the movie and start marveling at the 3d? 

in the opening scene where Hiccup hides behind the post, I felt the fear of fire rushing past me

in the flight scenes i felt the anxiety of falling

in the conclusion, the ash added to an atmosphere of dread and uncertainty.  

I think making traditional animation into 3D is fantastic. When Disney made Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid and Lion King into 3D they took on a whole new life. CG 3D animation is nice and all, but the novelty of seeing cel animation in 3D is too unique to dismiss. It's like walking into the classic cartoons I grew up with. It was like living the movie in a way I never got from CG movies in 3D. In many cases with CG 3D, unless the 3D effect is phenomenal, I usually stop noticing the 3D effect minutes after the movie has started.