Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

To All Table-top RPG Players and Anyone Else Interested!

Sanies

Thanks for checking out this post!

I'm Sanies, and I'm a developer with the Legacy of Harmony project group. We are working on a table-top game for My Little Pony and we would like your feedback! If you have the time, and interest, we'd love to hear from you!

So on to the questions!

What races would you like to see?

Would you prefer progession-style play(Making a character and leveling it up from 1-whatever), or one hitters(take a premade charactersheet/make a character, and just play one 3-4 hour session)?

What are THREE elements from the show that MUST be in the game? (Examples: silliness, puns, canon characters)

Would you rather have an original character, or play a canon character?

How do you prefer your coffee? (We have an ongoing argument and I need to win)

Optional questions:

Have you played pen and paper RPGs before?

If you were to choose a system, what was easiest to play if you have played TTRPGs?

If you were interested in a Brony exclusive starter set, what would you like to see in it?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and even more if you don't mind responding to it! We plan on posting a lot of content here and working closely with anyone who would like to help our development process! We will be attending quite a few conventions that are close to the East Coast/Central US, if you'd like to play with us!

If you have any questions, comments, or questions feel free to PM me or leave it here!

Thanks again, 

Sanies

• Brohoof 3

Earth (+Str modifier, -Int modifier)

Pegasus (+Dex modifier, -Str modifier)

Unicorn (+Int modifier, -Dex modifier)

Would you prefer progession-style play(Making a character and leveling it up from 1-whatever), or one hitters(take a premade charactersheet/make a character, and just play one 3-4 hour session)?

Progression, definitely.

What are THREE elements from the show that MUST be in the game? (Examples: silliness, puns, canon characters)

I'd like to see a bit of silliness, definitely. Locations from the show would be nice. Possibly a few canon characters would be cool, too.

I'd like to play as an original character, personally.

Mocha, with milk and 2 vanilla shots.

Edited by Bronyance
  • Brohoof 1

I suppose it goes without saying that the major races from the show are included? E/P/U ponies, gryphons, bat ponies, changelings, horses, buffalo, all the rest? In that case, I can't really think of anything that wouldn't be included.

For an out-of-the-box adventure, I would say a short campaign (progression-style) would be fitting. Just include enough resources for people like me who love writing to come up with new adventures of their choosing!

Puns aren't a bad idea. I think it is important for the world to feel limitless--there's stuff beyond the borders of Equestria that the show migth not touch on, but it gives us enough hints that we can fill in the gaps. I can't think of a third one right now...

Honestly, I think you should be wary of using canon characters. All too often I've seen canons be used as a deus ex machina to save the day. In a game like this, it is important for the players to be the heroes. If their actions result in a win for the baddies, then that is their fault.

Definitely original. No questions.

I'm actually a hot chocolate kind of guy...  :lol:

Played 'em, ran 'em, wrote adventures for 'em.

If you were to choose a system, what was easiest to play if you have played TTRPGs?

Ugh, I don't really have a favorite since every system has its merits and failures. Personally, I like anything with base stats that then have subskills associated (i.e. SPECIAL in Fallout or D&D 4th edition), though percentages (i.e. Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars) are fun and simple as well.

If you were interested in a Brony exclusive starter set, what would you like to see in it?

Some type of memorabilia would be nice, be it a figurine or artwork or gameplay mechanic or whatever. Other than that, I just need the base game and enough of a framework to create my own adventures.

Do you have a site or somewhere that we can look at your progress? I'd love to keep tabs on this and help if at all possible.

Edited by Kolth
  • Brohoof 1

While we've been around for a while, we have just started working on the base things we need... like a website, haha. We will have a facebook group page up soon, and a website in the short future. A little before next year's Bronycon is when our kickstarter/go campaign will start but we SHOULD have starter boxes for sale at the convention by then!

Yes! My useless knowledge and experience finally kinda helping maybe a little bit!

Pegasus(+2 to both dexterity and strength and -2 to constitution), Unicorn(+2 to both intelligence and charisma and -2 to dexterity), and Mud Dirt Earth Pony(+2 to both strength and constitution and -2 to intelligence) are the obvious answers but actually having played other TTRPGs I would like to see Zebras(+2 to both wisdom and constitution and -2 to charisma), Griffons(+2 to dexterity, strength, and constitution and -4 to charisma), and Minotaurs(+4 to strength +2 to wisdom and -2 to both charisma and intelligence) actually.

I prefer progression-styled playing to pre-made characters any day.

Knowing me (which I do) puns and a certain degree of silliness are a definite must but also the underlying lore.

Make you're own character obviously. Sometimes that can be one of the more entertaining parts of making a character. (for example one day I'll make an extremely buff wizard that casts fist at his foes)

I don't drink coffee...

Not only have I played in them I have also been the DM a few times... Never tell a player known for being stupid that the rusty spoon he found will probably make him sick if he eats with it... He will try to feed said spoon to a bear mid-combat...

While I like the more open to imagination environment that Pathfinder has. What was EASIEST to play, for me at least, was 4th edition D&D.

I'm just going to assume I might have maybe been slightly helpful.

• Brohoof 1

I remember you from your welcome post and how you talked about this project, I'll help out however I can. :lol:

TV show themed race tracks like from certain events in the TV series.

Character Customization is a must I think, the more player choice and customization the better. I personally get a lot of joy from leveling characters and continuing to build on them. Perhaps have a score thrown in there to give out status?

Puns, silliness and canon characters sound all great.

Hmmm, perhaps something original if you have the writing to make them shine. If not then maybe just play it safe with canon characters.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you for  your responses so far everyone! :D We actually have four GMs, each with varying play styles, so we get to test a lot! Hopefully I can meet some of you at a convention soon!

And I look forward to more replies and more chats with all of you!  :love:

• Brohoof 1

I am answering these questions based on the assumption that you mean a pen and paper RPG such as DnD or Savage World.

As many as possible, but definetly earth pony, unicorn, pegasus. Additionally, griffin, changeling, and buffalo/yak. Possibly alicorn, dragon and human if you could balance them.

I would lean towards progression.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Wouldn't it be up to the GM to encorporate such elements into the story?

A character creation system would be the most versitile, but also allow for the use of cannon characters if the player/GM is willing to balance them themselves.

I don't drink coffee, but if I desperately need the effects of caffine, I make a few milliliters of extemely concentrated coffee, then inhale the fumes.

My general outlook on TTRPGs is that the story and interaction should take priority. If a mechanic or rule is getting in the way, get rid of it or make up a better one. "Modding" should be easily supported.

• Brohoof 1

The standard pony races (minus alicorns; including them as a playable race sounds too much like giving stats to Cthulhu) seem to be the obvious choices.  Some others that might be neat are zebras, donkeys, mules (the half-elf of Equestria?), and maybe even griffons.

I'm a sucker for the grand, epic story, so probably progression-style play.

Innocence is my big one; lore and mystery would be my other two (those might actually be the same thing  :P )

Probably a canon character, but that's because I'm nor very skilled at making OCs.

I don't drink coffee  :lol:

Optional questions:

Yes: D&D 3.5 up to 5e, some Pathfinder, and a bit of Burning Wheel, Shadowrun, Eclipse Phase, and Paranoia.

I thought that D&D 4e was pretty easy to pick up, though it helps that there are a lot of good online tools for it (ie, character creator).  It was also the system that my friends (who taught me how to play) knew best.

Artwork is always cool, as well as miniatures.  Heck, if the minis were good, I might get the starter set just for those  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

The standard three, plus Zebra and Griffons.

Progression style, lends itself more to a good campaign with a continuing story.

Well sprinkling in some canon characters would be a must certainly but I would make the "silliness" somewhat optional. Some people like to explore the darker sides of Equestria. Maybe not to outright grimdark levels, but some freedom to shift the tone as dependent on the player group and adventure would be welcome.

Another canon element that MUST be included is friendship. A heavy emphasis through the mechanics and DMing should be that the party is a group of friends, overcoming something they could not accomplish individually.

Original character. This should be a must. You aren't playing as the Mane Six, you're playing as either "the other guys" a la "Slice of Life" or you are a different (possibly new group) of heroes. Make people put some effort into creating a character not apeing an existing one.

I don't drink coffee.

Optional questions:

Yes, Dungeons and Dragons and the Firefly/Serenity RPG.

D20

Absolutely though I wonder what is the point. Who is going to play this besides bronies?

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely though I wonder what is the point. Who is going to play this besides bronies?

Awesome answers so far everyone!  :icwudt:  But just to answer this specific question really quick: The system we are developing will be an actual pen and paper role play system, we are just focusing on creating a MLP expansion/version first because the whole idea started from it! :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

I like FlutterPonies, but since this would be a game for the FiM crowd, it should stick with show-cannon. Basic earth, pegasus, and unicorn pony. Alicorns should count as some kind of epic level class. Also include gryphons and crystal ponies

Progression-style. I like to see a character grow

puns, friendship lessons, non-combat resolutions

Both. I would like to play an original characters, but you should include stats of canon characters for reference and in case a GM or player does want to use them.

I prefer tea, but if I am having coffee, add lots of sugar at least. preferably with creamer/milk

Optional questions:

yes. many different systems. I also have a hubby with extensive knowledge especially with Palladium's system

WoD was my first, so I'm most familiar with that system. I also like TriStat for simplicity

Detailed social/romance rules, I know how much people love their 'shipping. Expanded race selection(gryphon, cow, yak, other hooved beings, dragon, diamond dog). maybe rules for different settings (G1, cuz nostalgia)

• Brohoof 2

I like FlutterPonies, but since this would be a game for the FiM crowd,

Well the Breezies basically were the Flutterponies as well as an update from the previous Breezies. (And it still astounds me how they were able to take a "race" who's only defining characteristic was twee and have their most prominent member be the foulest mouthed character on the show!  :P )