Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would our horses freak them out?

Bendy

Would our horses freak out the ponies?  

13 users have voted

1. 1. Would our horses freak out the ponies?

• Yes.
    • No.

Would our horses freak out the MLP FIM ponies?

In a nutshell I'll try summarize Rarity's thoughts on our horses.

Rarity: Ugh! Those horses from the human world are so hideous and oversized! Look at those creepy tiny eyes! Do they even bathe?! They smell foul! Their overly long faces are creepy and ugly! They don't even speak and are stupider than Pinkie Pie. 

Edited by Bendy

No, stylized artstyle =/= reality. If the MLP ponies were real, they'd look like actual ponies (albeit with multicolored coats). Or are we to consider their legs to actually be perfect cylinders with indistinguishable hooves? Plus horses do exist in their universe (Saddle Arabia, Troubleshoes Clyde) so oversized isn't much of a problem when you have a massive Clydesdale horse already living in the kingdom. :P

Imagine you stumble upon a human. It's indistinguishable from you in every way except one: it's about as smart as an ape.

Many would be justifiably horrified by this human, as it lacks what we believe to be the very essence of a human: intelligence.

I would expect ponies to behave the same.

• Brohoof 2

Not really. If you recall the delegates from "Saddle Arabia" in the Magic Duel episode. They are full sized horses, not ponies. They almost match Celestia in height. So its not like equestrian ponies have never seen a horse before.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity: Ugh! Those horses from the human world are so hideous and oversized! Look at those creepy tiny eyes! Do they even bathe?! They smell foul! Their overly long faces are creepy and ugly! They don't even speak and are stupider than Pinkie Pie. 

Rarity would not call Pinkie Pie stupid.... I think Rarity is aware that Pinkie Pie is smart despite looking stupid. 

Now, I think it would be more like this. 

Rarity: Hello, boys. 

Horse: Neigh! 

Rarity: I'm sorry. I don't understand. 

Horse: *makes horse noises*

Rarity: I'm just going to do something else... in another place... *runs off* 

It actually said in one of the comics that ponies evolved from horses much like human evolving from apes, if they saw a horse they would probably view it in a similar way as humans view monkeys.

It actually said in one of the comics that ponies evolved from horses much like human evolving from apes, if they saw a horse they would probably view it in a similar way as humans view monkeys.

I don't remember this ever being said, and I've read all the comics.

If they saw the way human being utilize horses for transportation and labor, I think they'd feel more sympathetic for them and fearful/angry at us.

But if it was just a random herd of wild horses, I doubt a pony would be afraid of them.  More curious than anything, like a human viewing a gorilla at the local zoo for the first time.

IMO, to some extent their reaction would depend on "How big (i.e. threatening) are Terrestrial horses vs MLP?"  That's hard to say.  According to Wikipedia (that invaluable compendium of meaningless trivia & drivel) apple trees are kept trimmed anywhere from 10-20 feet tall, Octavia's cello could be any of several models, some twice the size of others, etc.

My best guest would be "around the bottom size of Shetland ponies for the average MLP".  If so, our horses would get about the same reaction as giant apes would on Earth.  That is, if they seem harmless then they might be an object of interest.  If threatening, they would cause mass panic.  Given that ponies have freaked out over a rabbit stampede (Apple Buck Season), I'd go w "probably mass hysteria"

Given that ponies have freaked out over a rabbit stampede (Apple Buck Season), I'd go w "probably mass hysteria"

That just reminded me of something.  There was also a cattle stampede in that episode right?

The cows in that herd were easily 3 or 4 times Applejack's size. Maybe that's a good way to compare Equestrian ponies to regular horses since they're about the same size as cows.  

And given the ponies reaction to a stampede of cows, it probably wouldn't be any different if they were horses.  BUT if the horses were just out grazing, again I have to say they probably wouldn't freak out over it.  

Question now is, would a regular horse be able to talk like the cows if they were taken to Equestria?  

Edited by J. Brony

Yeah, obviously the new comers ability to speak would just calm the EQ ponies right down.  Just ask Zecora (Bridle Gossip)

Snark aside, it might help but even if the Earth horses gained speech (& presumably sentience), they would still only have a horse's memories. That is, only a few years worth & limited understanding of why people do things & no formal education.  I would also add the detail that I never heard of a housebroken horse... 

No, stylized artstyle =/= reality. If the MLP ponies were real, they'd look like actual ponies (albeit with multicolored coats). Or are we to consider their legs to actually be perfect cylinders with indistinguishable hooves? Plus horses do exist in their universe (Saddle Arabia, Troubleshoes Clyde) so oversized isn't much of a problem when you have a massive Clydesdale horse already living in the kingdom. :P

BLASPHEMY! And the way I look at it, the universe that they exist in follows different laws of physics, so yeah they do not have to look like the ponies on Earth. My head canon places the ponies as a very specialized single celled organisms, hence the solid color and the outline (If you look at cells under the microscope they have similar properties, except in that case they tend to be clear, not colored).

As per the original post, yes they would freak. Terrestrial horses would be huge by comparison, and wild. As a comparison, whenever a human meets a large being that cannot be reasoned with (IE not sapient) there is usually a bit of anxiety that goes with the encounter, as you have no way of predicting how things will go. Sorta like a survival instinct.

Rarity: Ugh! Those horses from the human world are so hideous and oversized! Look at those creepy tiny eyes! Do they even bathe?! They smell foul! Their overly long faces are creepy and ugly! They don't even speak and are stupider than Pinkie Pie.

Saddle Arabians are horses. Besides, I think the characters have all matured beyond judgemental mindsets like this.

Also, Rarity is a better grammatically correct character than you just gave her credit for. Unless she is acting faux country, of course. ;)

• Brohoof 1