Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

vghkjgvvghjjgvvgjkkhgvgjgv

green

I think it is due to the fact of how much of a powerful force that she was. I mean, she is the only villain that was able to take on Celestia one-on-one and WIN. Also she imprisoned her as well. That is pretty formidable. Also she has the changelings as her children, which the changelings are also loved dearly. She is a pretty awesome villain, though I don't see her everywhere I go. 

Also, dat voice. She has the best voice.

• Brohoof 10

Really? I honestly thought her popularity peaked years ago and has since gone down noticeably. Partly due to the lack of show use, and in part due to the softening of how people view 'A Canterlot Wedding' as end all be all. That episode lost its honeymoon glow a while ago. That isn't to say she is disliked, but she has been replaced several times characters introduced since her height.

IDW and Flufflepuff stuff seems to be keeping her visible, but I just think she lost her 'so' a little bit ago.

• Brohoof 1

Are she true villain? Or just a predator, who tries attack ponies?

Two reasons her popularity: she are gracile and beautiful like black cat. And Fluffle Puff theme makes her more popular.

• Brohoof 3

I think it's because she has a strong personality, interesting abilities, and a pretty heavy implication behind her being... yet she wasn't really explored. We don't know fully what motivates her out made her how she is. Too much potential.

She has an appearance that could be considered more sexual than most characters in the series. She has heavily lidded eyes, sharp little poke-out teeth, and a slender and narrow body. It's somewhat similar to the appeal of Luna (who is also liked mostly due to the visual appeal). It isn't because either of the characters have any actual substance to them (Luna = I'm a mentor. Chrysalis = I'm evil) but because their physical appearance is generally considered attractive.

EDIT: The fact that she looks like something straight out of a Hot Topic doesn't hurt either.

Edited by Sectus
  • Brohoof 4

She's way too cute for a vile parasitic bug monster, and that's after Hasbro requested the design team redo her to make her scarier.

Is there a pic of her when she was less scary?

She just wanted to feed her hive

That feeds on love and affection

By invading her food supply and causing them to fear and hate Changelings

I think you read the wrong villainous handbook, Chrysie

We love woobies

Hence why Trixie and Sunset Shimmer have such massive misguided fandoms

And once Starlight gets (sigh) redeemed, she'll become Sunset 2.0

Speaking from my own experiences with the fandom and the corners of the fandoms i go. Chrysalis is...i would say interesting for some people, who where fascinated by the fact, that she took control of Shining Armor.

That's all i say.

Cool design, is a succubus (and people love succubus's), has an army, and people love the changelings as a race.

her design lends itself well to fanart compared to alot of other villains, and she's had tons of exposure and useage in the comics to keep her fresh.

• Brohoof 1

Because she's a domineering dark lady which the primarily beta male brony populace would find hot.

I know that's gross but tell me she hasn't earned a bit of love from that. 

Because she's a domineering dark lady which the primarily beta male brony populace would find hot.

I know that's gross but tell me she hasn't earned a bit of love from that. 

Haha, yeah, pretty much XD

That's a very popular villain archetype after all.

maxresdefault.jpg

(edited)

Hmm. I don't think the comics would be a factor in stabilizing her popularity, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Blizzard Breeze

I like villians, because villians always get to have the most fun. Villians also tend to get to have much more epic designs. I can't think of a character design better then any of the villians (in MLP). Chrysalis was also just a very interesting character. She defeated Celestia, nearly accomplished destroying the Crystal Empire, and also has an awesome voice. She is an all-round awesome character, and when tons of other people have a similar view, you know that people will keep her relevant. Also, scratch what I said earlier in villian designs. Sunset's demon form was stupid and Cinch was just a normal human being.

I'm glad someone made this thread because I also don't understand as to why she is so popular.

Her design is unique and she was pretty threatening, but I jjst don't get why she is everywhere.

Personally, I don't care for her.

I don't dislike her, but I also don't like her.

Possibly for a similar reason people like Luna. She's so edgy it's off the edge.

She has a great design, a great voice, and she's mysterious. Just like a good villain should be. Plus, artists can make a terrifying shapeshifting bug-pony adorable as all hell.

(I, person with a changeling avatar, love Chrysalis. Y'all act shocked now.)

Edited by SparkytheFlame35

Anyways, I'd like to direct this conversation to a different area on chrysalis. We've been discussing why she's so popular with bronies, but the fact is, she's also incredibly popular with the kids too. She hasn't gotten so many spots in the comics for no reason after all.

So why is she popular with the target audience as well? Well, lets look at her. She's very much a combination of many attributes of classic disney princess movie villains. Her Color scheme is evocative of Maleficient with her black coloration and Bright green magic and fires, which is much like maleficients green flames and black coloration. Her initial scheme is similar to Ursala, and overall she just as a nice cackling witch feel to her.

Adding onto this, she's a legitimate evil queen as she has subjects and a nation of sorts, which adds a nice "Good ruler vs. evil ruler" vibe with the princesses of equestria vs. changelings.

Hmm. I don't think the comics would be a factor in stabilizing her popularity, but I could be wrong.

Don't be so sure, exposure is everything; the lack of constant content in EQG causes a downturn in toy sales in the second half of the year between EQG movies for a bit of precedent, and lack of episodes (or good episodes) can cause massive fluctuation in how people rank the mane six. (Dash had a massive drop in popularity after season 1 when she was at her best and did the most stunts and with Season 2 following her up with a terrible season for example)

• Brohoof 1