Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you consider vectors digital art?

Pinkiebow

I've been having this question in my mind ever since I started using vectors. So, what do you think? By the way, i'm talking about actually drawing using vectors, not vectorizing an existing piece, if you get what i'm trying to say =P

If your making something new, and using a computer to do it on screen, yeah I'm pretty sure it's digital art. :)

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

if you create a image that is high enough resolution then it can be considered vector.

if you can create a image that looks sharp no matter how much you zoom in (excluding pix-elation of course)

then it is vector.

if . . you create a object or image or anything else that serves no other purpose then it is considered art <-main purpose of art

for example:

abstract-seamless-geometric-pattern-mix-

I think vectoring is definitely art. I think even if you're tracing a piece it is still art. I say that because I took a Digital Art class in high school and oh my goodness you could tell which kids had skill and which didn't because some of them could not even trace a cartoon properly. Of course, you should always explicitly state when you have traced!

It gets iffy whether or not it's credible art when vectoring involves tracing and or bases. Art, in essence, is primarily personal expression: something started and created through scratch then resulting into a visual form, or otherwise in a way other humans can grasp. There's a certain detachment from an idea expressed when the finished product is also credible to another artist.

A lot of the MLP community trace over screenshots of the show and remake into what would be in a closest sense the original vector product in high quality...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just like any other form of art, it all really depends on how it was made I suppose if you take how I view art into account.

• Brohoof 3

Is it art? I guess so...

So, Do I like it? No, I don't like vectoring and bases. And this is a bit off topic but still kind of related, "Pony OC creator" Is probably something forged in the pits of tartarus. And don't give me that sh*t about "It's not like I just can pick up a pen and draw it myself!" Because guess what, You can.

• Brohoof 1

Sure. If you create it digitally, then it is digital art. Whether it's "art" though is rather subjective, since thr beholding of art is subjective... right?

Well, idk about the last part, but I consider it to be legitimate. I'd love to make some digital stuff of my own but I'm not sure how. I'm not even sure how to make vectors from my existing drawings, so my opinion may not matter that much.

Sure it's art; vectors are just tools, you still come out with something different in the end with a different perspective. It might not have the same level of creative potential as something created from scratch, but if that's not really a concern, then go for it.

Vectors are created from curves that are calculated and rendered.. which is done via a computer and therefor "Digital" art..

The way I picture it is this:

Art produced using a computer = Digital Art

Art produced without using a computer = Art (Or i guess you could also call it "Physical art")

I you were to scan a copy of a drawn picture.. then make a vector version of it..

Then you have both the original "Art" as well as the new vectored "Digital Art"

The short answer? Yes, I do indeed consider vectors as "Digital art" by definition..

Edited by AURAequine

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the content really, since i've seen plenty of stuff posted around deviantart at least under the vector art tag that I would really not see as such... and it's really simple to tell them apart:

1. is your resulting image original, a product of your own imagination? Then yes, it is art

2. is your resulting image a copy of someone else's art, may that be a screenshot in a show or a character originally drawn by someone else in the same position and style and is basically a faithful vectorial copy of it? Then no, that is NOT art. You just proved you're good at using the vectorial software to copy someone else's art...

It's THAT simple ;)

I think vectoring is definitely art. I think even if you're tracing a piece it is still art. I say that because I took a Digital Art class in high school and oh my goodness you could tell which kids had skill and which didn't because some of them could not even trace a cartoon properly. Of course, you should always explicitly state when you have traced!

*eye twitch*

Tracing is NOT art. It's a study method to possibly improve your art, yes, but it is not art in itself. And people waiting to be praised for tracing and posting their tracings should just not. Tracing is a study form and not even an impressive one. Vector tracing is not even that, since it involves dragging those vector lines around until they fit over the originals, which any kindergardener can do if patient enough, and it teaches virtually nothing, except maybe helping one get more familiar with the vectorial software. Tracing a cartoon properly is not an artistic trait. It's an exercise, and you'd have been better with exercising drawing straight lines and circles until they ended up perfect, instead of tracing, at that stage, as redundant as that might sound. I know it's redundant since I've been avoiding this exercise for quite a while, but guess what? the exercise helped me more in days than tracing could've helped me in years! 

So please don't give tracing that much credit, PLEASE! *cries*