technology Can Linux users give me advice?

TheMarkz0ne

Not now, but in the next month I am going to be moving over to Linux as my primary browsing OS. I understand the limitations of Linux and wanted to ask how I can make the most of it? When it comes to gaming, I'm keeping windows.Vegas 13 and my audio/video software can't go to Linux. But I already use open source software such as Telegram( a better alternative to skype) and open office. I am mainly doing this because I despise Microsoft. Even though AAA gaming isn't going mainstream into Linux, I don't care. I am even disappointed with AAA games lately so it doesn't matter.

I am getting a cheaper SSD. I am deciding not to dual boot. My current setup is that my 1TB SSD is running W7. I use a storage 2TB WD hhd for media storage. My boot drive only runs apps and that's it. 

I think one way to really get into it is to customize your theme and icons. I loved doing this when I first got into Linux, there are so many cool themes that you can try to make your desktop look unique. Though I think gnomelook really hated me that week. You could also look for random free software, there are some pretty fun games available for free. Super tux kart, a few tycoon clones, freeciv, this one cartoony 2D platforming shooter I can't remember the name of...

If you want to run multiple operating systems on the same system you will have to dual-boot, as you will have to choose which OS to use on startup, using the GRUB boot menu. That is, unless you're willing to go into the BIOS to change boot device, which I would never make myself or anyone do on a daily basis.

There are many distros and graphical environments to choose from, but as a new user you can forget about that and search just for Ubuntu, as it's among the most easy to use and definitely the best supported. 99% of the time it'll automatically load the correct drivers for your hardware so your legwork is massively reduced.

I should inform that LInux desktops are a bit rough with Windows filesystems, specifically NTFS and exFAT. If your media hard drive if formatted to one of these, you may consider backing it up, reformatting it to ext4, and then installing this on Windows so that it can mount it. That should improve its performance under both OSes too.

Edited by Paianni

If you want to run multiple operating systems on the same system you will have to dual-boot, as you will have to choose which OS to use on startup, using the GRUB boot menu. That is, unless you're willing to go into the BIOS to change boot device, which I would never make myself or anyone do on a daily basis.

There are many distros and graphical environments to choose from, but as a new user you can forget about that and search just for Ubuntu, as it's among the most easy to use and definitely the best supported. 99% of the time it'll automatically load the correct drivers for your hardware so your legwork is massively reduced.

I should inform that LInux desktops are a bit rough with Windows filesystems, specifically NTFS and exFAT. If your media hard drive if formatted to one of these, you may consider backing it up, reformatting it to ext4, and then installing this on Windows so that it can mount it. That should improve its performance under both OSes too.

I already got a quality SSD on sale. I know it sounds dumb, but I don't want to dual boot. Just a clean install on another drive. I have installed Ubuntu before, but I had awful wifi drivers for my wireless reciever because there wasn't any support. I had Ubuntu wired for a week or two and it was gorgeous, the speed was worth it from windows 7. But my dad kicked me out of the basement and I don't have access to the modem anymore, so I got rid of Ubuntu. I don't want to partition my windows ssd for a dual boot.