Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you turn off your computers during storms?

Fluttershutter

(edited)

Do you turn off and unplug your computers when it storms?  We've been having random storms where I live for almost a week now and it's really annoying to keep having to do that. 

Edited by Venomous
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Whenever the storms get too strong and lots of lightning I turn off my computer and other electronics.

If it’s nothing too strong, I’ll leave it on and keep using my computer and electronics.

Edited by TheRockARooster
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, I unplug my computer when a thunderstorm arrives my home village, especially when it is a thunderstorm like two weeks ago with 3 lightnings per second.

• 1 month later...
On 2021-06-30 at 8:33 AM, Clawdeen said:

I don’t. Besides half the time storms hit us I’m either at work or leaving work at night driving in it. 

Yeah whenever a storm hits suddenly when I'm at work I worry.

So has anybody actually had electronics destroyed this way or am I just worrying too much?

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Yeah whenever a storm hits suddenly when I'm at work I worry.

So has anybody actually had electronics destroyed this way or am I just worrying too much?

So far I've not had anything destroyed and from spring to summer a good chunk of nights when I'm at work we get nailed with storms. 

The stuff I really care about is all plugged into properly-rated surge protectors from reputable brands so there's a lesser chance of stuff getting fried.

I usually only unplug stuff if the storm is really severe with frequent lightning strikes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Saaara, Saaaaara!! Storms, are brewin in your eyes!

Heheh :P .

No not really. I continue to search everywhere on the internet and haven't been able to find cases of people being hurt from using electronics or showering in storms... not that they aren't real...

I have lost two routers (and thus, the Internet) for not unplugging them due to close lightning strikes.

I have a system now, where I only unplug the power on the outlets that always get damaged, and only if the thunder is happening almost directly after the lightning (which requires me to pay attention). It has worked out so far, with about 1 storm per year to look out for (not that much work).

• The title was changed to Do you turn off your computers during storms?

I have two layers of UPSs and no, I do not unplug anything. I would hate it if I had to reboot my main PC or my servers.

However, the power lines to my house are underground. Some time ago the power lines were in the air and back then there were more spikes during storms etc (nothing was damaged, but my UPS would switch to battery for a few seconds). But now when the lines are underground I do not remember there being spikes (then again, now the big UPS could be fixing them without the monitoring system noticing).

• Brohoof 1

44 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I have two layers of UPSs and no, I do not unplug anything. I would hate it if I had to reboot my main PC or my servers.

I want to get rid of my "server" and have something that I can switch to batteries on power outages. Thinking Raspberry Pi.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Splashee said:

I want to get rid of my "server" and have something that I can switch to batteries on power outages. Thinking Raspberry Pi.

I'm going the other direction - I have a generator for those long outages. For something like 30 minutes a UPS is enough assuming the batteries are in good shape.

There is no way I could fit everything to a raspeberry. Fitting almost everything to a new server would be possible, but inconvenient (and expensive).

• Brohoof 1