Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The wallpapers have been DOUBLED! [Applejack and Trixie]

Vexx3

Here are a couple of wallpapers that have been requested.

Quick note about the Trixie wallpaper. The text says "Great and Powerful".

Feedback always appreciated!

• Brohoof 7

I really don't have much feedback other than that they both look great, especially the Applejack wallpaper. I cannot wait to see more from you.

• Brohoof 1

First I would like to say I'm no artist and these are mealy my opinions and impressions, other people will probably disagree with me in some points.

Trxie Wallpaper.

Firstly the rune in the background looks nice, positioned well and as a good glow effect, Trxie is also positioned proportional to the rune.

The main thing that keeps bugging me though is smoke to me though looks like it's obscuring most of her body thus changing it's colour and providing her with different look. I personality wouldn't associate the new colour with her, it looks a bit too dull while Trxie's normal colour is a lot brighter. I understand that smoke would be a hard effect to use though. The more I look at the smoke the more I'm getting used to it but her body colour it still looks a little dull.

Can't say much for the expression as I don't really like Trxie that much, though I wouldn't doubt for her to have another side other then rude and obnoxious.

Applejack Wallpaper

The shade of orange goes really well and the glow effect looks nice and makes the picture more dynamic. The effect for the right eye looks a bit too much though but I understand that it's keeping in proportion with the rest of the glow in the picture.

The brown spots give the impression of dirt/mud which fits nicely with her character, the mud in the bottom right hand corner looks a tiny bit much though and is obscuring her cutie mark a bit. Also it is very hard to see the bottom half of her body including her legs unless you look really close. These two things separate wouldn't bother me that much but together It makes me think that there's a bit too much mud.

I do not mean this as criticism, it is mealy my personal impressions on the picture. Regardless of those that they are both very well done and deserve to be acknowledged.

Edited by Dave247
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

First I would like to say I'm no artist and these are mealy my opinions and impressions, other people will probably disagree with me in some points.

Trxie Wallpaper.

Firstly the rune in the background looks nice, positioned well and as a good glow effect, Trxie is also positioned proportional to the rune.

The main thing that keeps bugging me though is smoke to me though looks like it's obscuring most of her body thus changing it's colour and providing her with different look. I personality wouldn't associate the new colour with her, it looks a bit too dull while Trxie's normal colour is a lot brighter. I understand that smoke would be a hard effect to use though. The more I look at the smoke the more I'm getting used to it but her body colour it still looks a little dull.

Can't say much for the expression as I don't really like Trxie that much, though I wouldn't doubt for her to have another side other then rude and obnoxious.

Apple Jack Wallpaper

The shade of orange goes really well and the glow effect looks nice and makes the picture more dynamic. The effect for the right eye looks a bit too much though but I understand that it's keeping in proportion with the rest of the glow in the picture.

The brown spots give the impression of dirt/mud which fits nicely with her character, the mud in the bottom right hand corner looks a tiny bit much though and is obscuring her cutie mark a bit. Also it is very hard to see the bottom half of her body including her legs unless you look really close. These two things separate wouldn't bother me that much but together It makes me think that there's a bit too much mud.

I do not mean this as criticism, it is mealy my personal impressions on the picture. Regardless of those that they are both very well done and deserve to be acknowledged.

Criticism is completely okay. It allows me to learn what I may have to do better the next time and I'm glad you shared your views. I rarely get feedback as detailed as this so it's a bit refreshing. If you don't mind, I'd like to explain my reasoning behind what you have mentioned.

First, the Trixie wallpaper. Being that she is an entertainer, I wanted to create a kind of fog machine effect. However, I didn't want to make the fog a bright color such as white or light blue because I felt it might be too distracting and might have also obscured the rune circle background. As for the body color, I did add a slight gradient to try and create a kind of dynamic lighting effect, though perhaps it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Now for the Applejack wallpaper. I do agree about the eye. I applied a motion blur to an underlying layer and that's what ended up happening. I believe it's just in the way the vector was designed and there's not much I could do about it (if anyone has a suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it, though). As for the mud, I added the spot in the bottom right because I wanted to create the impression that the dirt and/or mud was splashing up around her.

Hopefully I was able to clarify some things. I know I'm not going to please everyone, but I'm glad you shared your impressions. I'm also glad that, overall, you still enjoyed them! :D

Edited by Vex3d
  • Brohoof 2

Criticism is completely okay. It allows me to learn what I may have to do better the next time and I'm glad you shared your views. I rarely get feedback as detailed as this so it's a bit refreshing. If you don't mind, I'd like to explain my reasoning behind what you have mentioned.

First, the Trixie wallpaper. Being that she is an entertainer, I wanted to create a kind of fog machine effect. However, I didn't want to make the fog a bright color such as white or light blue because I felt it might be too distracting and might have also obscured the rune circle background. As for the body color, I did add a slight gradient to try and create a kind of dynamic lighting effect, though perhaps it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Now for the Applejack wallpaper. I do agree about the eye. I applied a motion blur to an underlying layer and that's what ended up happening. I believe it's just in the way the vector was designed and there's not much I could do about it (if anyone has a suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it, though). As for the mud, I added the spot in the bottom right because I wanted to create the impression that the dirt and/or mud was splashing up around her.

Hopefully I was able to clarify some things. I know I'm not going to please everyone, but I'm glad you shared your impressions. I'm also glad that, overall, you still enjoyed them! :D

It's great to hear your reasoning behind your pictures because there are times when there are certain things that I didn't consider. Also a new day brings forth a new mindset.

I didn't think what caused the smoke and it was from a smoke machine because she is a performer. That's a really ingenious idea I must add.

Looking at the picture again with this in mind I'm guessing the machine isn't too far off the frame which would explain why the smoke is concentrated around her body. I can agree that making it lighter would distract from the rest of the picture because it would change the focus point of it. Also it wouldn't look right with the amount of smoke there is.

It guess it all comes down to thick you want the smoke to be and assuming that the machine close by the picture logically makes sense.

As for Applejack I can understand about the motion blur, whatever program you use will automatically add the effect to everywhere it thinks it needs to and sometimes it's not what you want. I'm not too familiar with photo editing programs but I would think that there would be some way to specify a region of the picture to not be affected when you apply an effect. I don't know though but it just seems like an important feature that they would be sure to put in.

As for the mud I can understand that as well, it gives the effect that she's moving through the mud instead of just landing on it which isn't something that I gave much thought previously and toning it down would probably throw it off proportion with the background mud.

As I said before I still like both wallpapers and can tell you put a lot of effort into them. Just because they might not be as popular as some other ones I just think that's because they haven't been exposed as much. I just submitted them to EQD once I figured out how to. Keep up the great work :)

• Brohoof 1

As I said before I still like both wallpapers and can tell you put a lot of effort into them. Just because they might not be as popular as some other ones I just think that's because they haven't been exposed as much. I just submitted them to EQD once I figured out how to. Keep up the great work :)

I very much appreciate it, thank you! ^^