Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Awards the MLP movie could win if it ends up being good

TheAnimatorOfficial

Anything for Best Song doesn't apply here. Only to the film itself.

I think a BAFTA is possible, and an Annie is likely, but I can't see it winning anything at the Golden Globes unless it's really spectacular enough to beat the competition.

An Oscar is out of the question. Not because of its quality, but because the Oscars are on Disney's payroll, whether they deserve it or not. We've seen this with the past three winners of Best Animated Feature. I seriously even see a Lego Movie type snub.

But of course, the Oscars don't mean everything. For example, Star Wars, Goodfellas, Shawshank Redemption, Beauty and the Beast, Pulp Fiction, and Brokeback Mountain lost Best Picture. Heck, 2001 wasn't even nominated. Not to put MLP in that category.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

but because the Oscars are on Disney's payroll

No. Just no. The Academy is not on a studio payroll, come on. Each studio is more than capable of doing its marketing push during that season to voters. If Happy Feet and Rango can win so can others. Movies do get shocking snubs, but I think that is less governed by a conspiracy, and moreso what the Academy voters feel is 'en vogue'.

And why is Best Song not a valid award all of a sudden? Music is most certainly a part of the film and helps to create the overall emotional feeling or anchor to scenes and on occasion the entire theme. Question, do you also marginalize Foley as well? 

• Brohoof 3

An Academy Award is highly doubtful. Even The Lego Movie was snubbed, mainly being judged on its commercial nature, despite critical praise. It would be far more likely for the movie to end up with at least some nominations at the Annie Awards, the highest award in the Western animation industry, governed by ASIFA.

• Brohoof 1

No. Just no. The Academy is not on a studio payroll, come on. Each studio is more than capable of doing its marketing push during that season to voters. If Happy Feet and Rango can win so can others. Movies do get shocking snubs, but I think that is less governed by a conspiracy, and moreso what the Academy voters feel is 'en vogue'.

And why is Best Song not a valid award all of a sudden? Music is most certainly a part of the film and helps to create the overall emotional feeling or anchor to scenes and on occasion the entire theme. Question, do you also marginalize Foley as well?

I meant Best Song is way more in the realm of possibility than Best Animated Feature.

An Academy Award is highly doubtful. Even The Lego Movie was snubbed, mainly being judged on its commercial nature, despite critical praise. It would be far more likely for the movie to end up with at least some nominations at the Annie Awards, the highest award in the Western animation industry, governed by ASIFA.

I could see a nomination, but I agree that a win is highly unlikely.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

The highest honour it could win is the Best Animated Feature Oscar, but it is going to have some pretty stiff competition from that year. 2017 is also when Pixar releases two films (one original, the other a sequel), Dreamworks releases two (including an adaptation of Captain Underpants) and Lego Batman, plus a handful of others.

Not saying the MLP film won't be enjoyable, but it might not make the shortlist.

captain underpants? i used to love that series!!! BUT MLP IS BETTER NOW.

There's also Cars 3 that year. Chinese water tourture is more enjoyable than that series IMO.

I doubt it would get a nomination for best animated movie at the oscars.

But I can see it getting some awards in the annies.

I kind of see that happening, especially with how the Lego Movie was treated.

I view the academy as a bunch of conspiring snobs. I would rather not have win a major award. However if I can imagine anything, possibly best animation or soundtrack. The academy wouldn't appreciate the talent of our voice actresses and actors.