Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Too much Twilight?

碇 シンジン

Someone might have said that before me (idk, I'm too lazy too read all posts) but here it goes anyway:

Twilight is the main protagonist. While I can understand that some may be feeling, that others get too little screen time (heck I, personally, want more Luna and would love to see Trixie get a spotlight once more), she needs to have most lines or she would stop being focus of the show. And she was that from episode 1. I think, if she were to stop being main protagonist, the show would become different. Maybe it wouldn't be bad but let's face it, some people in this fandom would start whining how she "gets too little time". And everyone wants to avoid this whining.

Edited by Broken Gear
  • Brohoof 2

lel i think they need to have more mane 6, i have not ever seen any evidence that twilight is supposed to be main character, besides the fact that for some reason she is princess of friendship.

You mean besides the fact that she's obviously the main character in Mare in the Moon and The Elements of Harmony, is the character who is actually tasked with learning about friendship, and is the character who eventually grows wings and gets a castle? 

• Brohoof 2

The biggest problem with Twilight, is the fact that prominently featuring her in two-part episodes is pretty much unavoidable, because her character causes the most change in the series. 

Which is why I feel that she just needs to hurry up and reach her endgame already. What more does she really need at this point?

Only since Magical Mystery Cure have the finales been all about showering Twilight with gifts to enhance her status as a princess. But how much further can they go with it? Is what she has ever going to be enough? 

And as I said, we probably need a new evaluation of the mane five's importance to the show now. Their being largely excluded from a two-parter was something I most certainly thought would never happen. So did Twilight simply become even more of a main character overnight or something? And how much will Starlight end up posing a threat to their importance?  

• Brohoof 2

lel i think they need to have more mane 6, i have not ever seen any evidence that twilight is supposed to be main character, besides the fact that for some reason she is princess of friendship.

You mean besides the fact that she's obviously the main character in Mare in the Moon and The Elements of Harmony, is the character who is actually tasked with learning about friendship, and is the character who eventually grows wings and gets a castle? 

Lauren also made a reference to Twilight that involved calling her the main character in her Ms Magazine rebuttal. "The Princess [Celestia] is depicted as the main character’s mentor, her teacher". Another instance she called Twilight the lead character. 

And in the Art of Equestria book, in her notes on the different characters, Twilight's the one who gets the two parter sounding stuff. How when she gets assignments from the "queen", she can find the magical elements necessary to completing the tasks. The other character descriptions are just the kind of things you'd apply to regular slice of life episodes, like how Rarity is a designer, and Applejack lives with her family and competes in rodeos.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

Lauren also made a reference to Twilight that involved calling her the main character in her Ms Magazine rebuttal. "The Princess [Celestia] is depicted as the main character’s mentor, her teacher". Another instance she called Twilight the lead character. 

And in the Art of Equestria book, in her notes on the different characters, Twilight's the one who gets the two parter sounding stuff. How when she gets assignments from the "queen", she can find the magical elements necessary to completing the tasks. The other character descriptions are just the kind of things you'd apply to regular slice of life episodes, like how Rarity is a designer, and Applejack lives with her family and competes in rodeos.

that was in the first season  you didnt see much Celestia around ordering Twilight This season did you the show has focused more on the friendshup of the mane 6 and it implies that together they are strong and without her freiends twilight is basically nothing yet they still exclude other mane6 ponies and  twilight basically solves the problems on her own without really needing the other mane 6 ponies

• Brohoof 1

that was in the first season  you didnt see much Celestia around ordering Twilight This season did you the show has focused more on the friendshup of the mane 6 and it implies that together they are strong and without her freiends twilight is basically nothing yet they still exclude other mane6 ponies and  twilight basically solves the problems on her own without really needing the other mane 6 ponies

I was trying to show how the staff would see her as the main character, with the implication that they wouldn't have reason to change this thinking about her, and why Twilight ends up getting more focused on during the two parters than the others. The finale did show that without the mane six's friendship, Equestria would've been done for many times over. The problem that Twilight had to face was mainly just stopping Starlight, who ultimately needed to just be reasoned with, rather than taking her on directly or needing some big friendship beam. Sometimes you're not going to need everyone to solve every problem, or can't construct a problem that needs everyone, just like in Cutie Map characters like Rarity or Rainbow Dash weren't really all that necessary. Still, even after returning to the present, the song at the end at least showed them all trying to make friends with Starlight. Even if she'll be Twilight's student, Twilight won't be her only friend.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

Like I said before on the mane 5...

But it's mostly the little things that disturb me. Not the major stuff. Like how people can say "Twilight and her friends" I stead of "Elements of Harmony"

The one little thing that disturbed me the most this season was the beds in Do Princesses dream of Magic Sheep? How Twilight has a king sized bed while the rest get twin sized beds.

• Brohoof 3

Like I said before on the mane 5...

But it's mostly the little things that disturb me. Not the major stuff. Like how people can say "Twilight and her friends" I stead of "Elements of Harmony"

The one little thing that disturbed me the most this season was the beds in Do Princesses dream of Magic Sheep? How Twilight has a king sized bed while the rest get twin sized beds.

It was her bedroom, the other beds were brought in only for this event, while the king sized bed is the only bed that is usually there. 

• Brohoof 2

While Twily's status as the "main" main character isn't really deniable, I have wondered whether there's any reason to give her top billing anymore. She was the main character initially because she was Celestia's student and (presumably) had the most to learn about friendship. However, after Lesson Zero destroyed the Season 1 model of doing things, everybody felt like equals to me. That's why the change of direction in Season 3 and her promotion to princess confused me so much, because it was going against the grain of what they did with Season 2. After it was established that every character's journey and growth was important to the show, it seemed obnoxious to then go back and decide Twilight's journey was somehow more important than everybody else's.

Another thing that affected my dislike of the Twi-focus in big plot episodes was how, for a while there, they weren't giving her much focus in chiller episodes. A friend and I even had this sort of sad running joke about how Twilight could never get slice of life episodes :derp:. Thankfully, as of Testing, Testing, 1 2 3, Amending Fences and other episodes in Season 5, that trend has died. I think while watching Testing Testing, I even said to myself "Twily! You're back :wub: ". Because she's actually one of my favorite characters in those settings. If I've ever said "Too much Twilight" it's been because I want more stuff like the episodes above, and less of "you are the the special chosen one, enjoy your big magic castle thing".

• Brohoof 5

Some say that the lack of Twilight outside of the 2-parters makes up for too much Twilight in the season openings and finales, and I disagree because there are now two problems instead of one, and I'm sure they are obvious.

I don't even understand the argument that twilight's not getting enough focus outside two parters anyways when other fans argue that; You look at the amount of "normal" episodes this season and twilight got JUST as much as the other ponies: She got Amending fences, she got Hooffields and McCoys, she got what about discord and she was also heavily featured in the group episodes too. The others got 3 episodes per pony as well, no more than twilight.

So she's just as focused on in slice of life as Rarity, Rainbow dash, applejack, fluttershy... the only one with 4 slice of life episodes was pinkie pie.

So pretty much, whenever anyone says "But she gets so little slice of life episodes!" it comes across as "Twilight needs to hog all the Slice of life episodes AND the Two parters!". Because she's already getting her fair share of normal episodes.

Its like demanding that an OP class get buffs or something because their "Weakness" is that they're equal to another class in a stat instead of being better than them there.

While Twily's status as the "main" main character isn't really deniable, I have wondered whether there's any reason to give her top billing anymore. She was the main character initially because she was Celestia's student and (presumably) had the most to learn about friendship. However, after Lesson Zero destroyed the Season 1 model of doing things, everybody felt like equals to me. That's why the change of direction in Season 3 and her promotion to princess confused me so much, because it was going against the grain of what they did with Season 2. After it was established that every character's journey and growth was important to the show, it seemed obnoxious to me to go back and decide that Twilight's journey was somehow more important than everybody else's.

I tend to sound like a broken record on this, but I blame McCarthy taking over for that and the shift back. I miss renzetti and faust in their respective positions, as the twilight train started once they left.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't even understand the argument that twilight's not getting enough focus outside two parters anyways when other fans argue that; You look at the amount of "normal" episodes this season and twilight got JUST as much as the other ponies: She got Amending fences, she got Hooffields and McCoys, she got what about discord and she was also heavily featured in the group episodes too. The others got 3 episodes per pony as well, no more than twilight.

So she's just as focused on in slice of life as Rarity, Rainbow dash, applejack, fluttershy... the only one with 4 slice of life episodes was pinkie pie.

So pretty much, whenever anyone says "But she gets so little slice of life episodes!" it comes across as "Twilight needs to hog all the Slice of life episodes AND the Two parters!". Because she's already getting her fair share of normal episodes.

Its like demanding that an OP class get buffs or something because their "Weakness" is that they're equal to another class in a stat instead of being better than them there.

I tend to sound like a broken record on this, but I blame McCarthy taking over for that and the shift back. I miss renzetti and faust in their respective positions, as the twilight train started once they left.

Yeah I never understood that argument either I mean Twilight always had about the same number of Slice of life episodes than the others. And she often Squeezes herself in the episodes that really have nothing to do with her

Edited by ooBrony
  • Brohoof 1

As much as I would like to pin the blame on McCarthy, she doesn't work on the show by herself.

• Brohoof 3

That's an assertion and not a fact. For all we know, if Faust and Renzetti would still work on the show, Twilight would maybe be still in the same position as now.

So blaming everything on Mccarthy is a bullshit claim.

• Brohoof 6

This is an amazing work what you have done my friend :D I have to admit that i am really impressed. I think Twilight's situation was already planned from the beginning of the show and when Twilight has become an alicorn it has become more of Twilight's story. I have no problem with this on the other hand i am agree with you because there are other mane five which they are so cute and amazing ponies and each one of them deserve more time equally in the episodes. In some episodes they could try to balance between mane six and they have succeed partially i think but FİM is Twilight's story in the event :P  '''

• Brohoof 1

This is an amazing work what you have done my friend :D I have to admit that i am really impressed. I think Twilight's situation was already planned from the beginning of the show and when Twilight has become an alicorn it has become more of Twilight's story. I have no problem with this on the other hand i am agree with you because there are other mane five which they are so cute and amazing ponies and each one of them deserve more time equally in the episodes. In some episodes they could try to balance between mane six and they have succeed partially i think but FİM is Twilight's story in the event :P  '''

Yes =)=)=) i hoped though Other ponies like Rarity would get their chance in the spotlight sometimes=)<3

I think the alternate reality versions  (and the filly versions) of the rest of the Mane Six gave them plenty of spotlight, and the whole point was how important their friendship was. For this story, I don't think it would have worked at all to have them be part of the time travel. 

I also think the Twilight spotlight was mostly dealt with in season 4, where Twilight had become princess, and it was a theme of the season where that put her and her friends. In the premiere, they thought she was too important to go with them, but in the end, they had to all go together to beat the challenge (even when Twilight charges back, she almost gets beat by the plants until the rest of the Mane Six saves her). In the finale, we got Ultimate Princess Twilight, but once again, she couldn't beat Tirek without her friends and showing Discord friendship (thereby getting the last key). And the premiere of this season was the first two-parter to not have Twilight be the main-mane character. 

In conclusion, I don't think the two parters put Twilight on a pedestal as much as  they showed how she's not on a pedestal. Even in the season 3 premiere, which was all about "Twilight's test" to prove she was ready to be a princess, she ultimately needed Spike and Cadence to save the day. This is also why "Twilight's kingdom" has no guards or subjects, her friendships is where her power lies. People said it was overpowered of Starlight Glimmer to be equal or even surpass Twilight's magic, but as far as I remember, we've never seen Twilight beat any skilled magic-users or powerful beings without friendship.

Edited by Arrowstormen
  • Brohoof 1

So basically we have:

- Twilight gets too much time. It's unfair.

**Twilight is the main protagonist, it makes sense that a lot of the focus is on her development/victories when it comes to major episodes. Had it not been for her, you wouldn't even know over half the ponies on the show. I think this is more about people not seeing their best pony get the best spotlight.

- It's actually the Mane 6 as a whole that gets all the attention while the others are neglected

**Well they ARE the main characters, what do you expect?

- But Twilight seems to be gaining a lot. All the other Mane 5 seems to be completing only minor arcs. Twilight gets a castle and becomes a princess

** was that not the whole point for her in the first place? Twilight was a pupil of the princess of friendship. Is it not expected she gets the big slice of cake? The other mane ponies aren't even interested in the path Twilight takes. Pinkie wants to simply make everyone happy, Rarity wants to be successful in doing what she loves and that's making clothes, Applejack is content with her simple life on the farm, RD wants to be the best flyer and swear loyalty to a good cause as a career whether it's to be the captain of the guard, or highly ranked in the Wonderbolts, and the LAST thing Fluttershy desires is the spotlight because she's focus more on what's important to her and that's recovery an preserving animal life. The Mane characters all seem content on where they are heading and are happy for their friend Twilight. No matter how major Twilight's accomplishments are, have we NOT SEEN that they still give ALL of them the recognition they deserve? This season finale has been the ONLY one where she literally accomplished something major on her own.....and even in the finale, she was shown to not be strong enough to defeat Starlight Glimmer. She had to use her silver tongue just to change Starlight's mind.

But regardless of these points, it's still partly on the fans for who they choose to give most of the credit to and how they rank WHAT as the most important. One can say there is too much Twilight...that she gets too much power and focus. But then the other can say there is too much of Twilight being shown she can't complete shit on her own without her friends or some spell to help her. And if she doesn't have one or the other, the best she can do is depend on her wits and long speeches.....as shown in "Cutie Re-Map"  

I think this is one of those things where no matter WHAT IS WRONG OR RIGHT  satisfaction will never be reached. The moment less is shown of Twilight, then the argument will be "they are treating the main protagonist like a background pony, that's unfair" 

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 3

It's hard to not have too much Twilight when there are 6 main characters. Maybe if there were 3 or 2 main characters then Twilight wouldn't get that much screen time? Who knows maybe in season 6, Twilight will get less time because of Starlight and those two will share screen time much like how Twilight and Sunset share screen time in EG. 

I think it depends on whether the writers feel Twilight has learnt everything regarding friendship she needs to know and whether she should succeed Celestia and spread her friendship across Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

So basically we have:

- Twilight gets too much time. It's unfair.

**Twilight is the main protagonist, it makes sense that a lot of the focus is on her development/victories when it comes to major episodes. Had it not been for her, you wouldn't even know over half the ponies on the show. I think this is more about people not seeing their best pony get the best spotlight.

- It's actually the Mane 6 as a whole that gets all the attention while the others are neglected

**Well they ARE the main characters, what do you expect?

- But Twilight seems to be gaining a lot. All the other Mane 5 seems to be completing only minor arcs. Twilight gets a castle and becomes a princess

** was that not the whole point for her in the first place? Twilight was a pupil of the princess of friendship. Is it not expected she gets the big slice of cake? The other mane ponies aren't even interested in the path Twilight takes. Pinkie wants to simply make everyone happy, Rarity wants to be successful in doing what she loves and that's making clothes, Applejack is content with her simple life on the farm, RD wants to be the best flyer and swear loyalty to a good cause as a career whether it's to be the captain of the guard, or highly ranked in the Wonderbolts, and the LAST thing Fluttershy desires is the spotlight because she's focus more on what's important to her and that's recovery an preserving animal life. The Mane characters all seem content on where they are heading and are happy for their friend Twilight. No matter how major Twilight's accomplishments are, have we NOT SEEN that they still give ALL of them the recognition they deserve? This season finale has been the ONLY one where she literally accomplished something major on her own.....and even in the finale, she was shown to not be strong enough to defeat Starlight Glimmer. She had to use her silver tongue just to change Starlight's mind.

But regardless of these points, it's still partly on the fans for who they choose to give most of the credit to and how they rank WHAT as the most important. One can say there is too much Twilight...that she gets too much power and focus. But then the other can say there is too much of Twilight being shown she can't complete shit on her own without her friends or some spell to help her. And if she doesn't have one or the other, the best she can do is depend on her wits and long speeches.....as shown in "Cutie Re-Map"  

I think this is one of those things where no matter WHAT IS WRONG OR RIGHT  satisfaction will never be reached. The moment less is shown of Twilight, then the argument will be "they are treating the main protagonist like a background pony, that's unfair" 

I dont know where people are getting that she is the main protagonist I mean ist the show about the mane 6 as a whole they should've dropped the Twilight stuff after she came princess and didnt need celestia anymore  now its about the mane 6 not about twilights studies anymore

• Brohoof 2

I dont know where people are getting that she is the main protagonist I mean ist the show about the mane 6 as a whole they should've dropped the Twilight stuff after she came princess and didnt need celestia anymore  now its about the mane 6 not about twilights studies anymore

She is the main protagonist because she is depicted as leader in a general perspective and it is THROUGH her we meet the others. But even as the general leader, we've all discovered Twilight has no problem when one of her friends takes charge when they are dealing with something up their ally. The show has always been about the mane 6....I think it's more of people simply not taking the arcs/development of the other mane 5 seriously which would explain why (for some odd reason) they think the others are being neglected? Each has been given light on some sort of development/inner challenge or struggle/goal reaching episode. The /SHOW/ is not focused on Twilight and her studies....Twilight episodes are focused on it and/or it's executed as a minor comedic relief if the spotlight isn't on her. 

I don't see it as too much twilight...i see it as a plot device to hold the storyline together. Had Pinkie Pie been introduced to us first, I'm sure her goal of "making ponies happy" would have progressed even more down the line to keep the storyline going where we'd see development/struggles/goal reaching episodes of others more often as well. 

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 2