Female Bronies  

194 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call female bronies?

• Brony
    • Pegasister
    • Filly
    • Bronette
    • Pegasis

I think Pegasis is the best alternative, but I don't really care to call myself anything anyway. However, I don't like 'brony' being used for both because 'brony' has bro in it.

Edited by Envy

I think that the term pegasister has been pretty widely accepted by now.

I've also heard the terms "bronette" or "femare" being used before but they really just sound silly to me honestly.

I personally think of "brony" as a unisex word so I usually call them bronies as well.

I was just wondering, what would you call a female brony? I was thinking Pegasister, but whatever everypony thinks is what I'll go with.

Mod Note - This thread has already been made before, I shall be slapping the two together. Always be sure to use the sites Search bar, found at the top right below your control panel, to check and see if the thread has been made before. Please and thanks you! ;)

• 10 months later...

Months ago I discovered that girls, are calling themselves BRONIES. Apparently they've been doing this for a while.

I don't mean to be a black cloud, but this annoys me very much. I mean, their girls. And Brony is Bro plus Pony right?

Not all, but I think most girls that like MLP:FiM calls themselves bronies. so if their girls and they want to be called Bronies, Their Gronies?

And I think the word pegasister was made for a reason.  

• Brohoof 2

Don't be sexist. If a girl wants to call herself a brony she can.

As "bro" is part of the word, anypony that can identify with that word can call themselves a brony, right?

I have referred to myself as both a pegasister and as a brony.

• Brohoof 34

Ok, well the way I see it a girl can call themselves a brony.

It won't matter the gender/race.

Pegasister was made for girls alone.

But I think, a girl has the right to use the term ''brony''.

• Brohoof 4

1.Awesome Rainbow Dash picture. How do you get it to move? It's Awesome. RD is my favorite main 6 pony. 2. but bro comes from boy. a boy is a bro. but a girl is a girl. so how can they? Also, if their a brony how can you tell if their a boy or a girl?

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but my friend tells me that the word Brony was not originally a portmanteau of bro and pony, but rather a reference to 4Chan's /b/ board, originating as a term for someone who spammed ponies on /b/ before the 4chan universal ban of pony content.

If that's true, then Brony most definitely is not a male-only term. Not that it would be anyway, even if it is a pormanteau.

Edited by Descant
  • Brohoof 8

Actually, I heard Bro actually stood for /b/, which was the section of 4Chan where Bronies first started. So, I guess the term Brony is unisexual.

EDIT: Ninja'd :ph34r:

Edited by The Grape Popsicle Guy
  • Brohoof 4

1.Awesome Rainbow Dash picture. How do you get it to move? It's Awesome. RD is my favorite main 6 pony. 2. but bro comes from boy. a boy is a bro. but a girl is a girl. so how can they? Also, if their a brony how can you tell if their a boy or a girl?

The point is, it's not important what is gramatically correct. The term Brony is simply more widely known, so people choose it sometimes regarldess of their gender, so other non-brony people can recognise who they are. Not all non-bronies are familiar with the term pegasister, you know.

And, after all, it does not really matter. It's quite like being unhappy because Mane six calls themselves ,,guys" (e.g. TS almost all the time). It really does not matter ;3

• Brohoof 2

I actually prefer them to use the term "Brony" the word just rolls off your tongue, while Pegasister sounds like a demented piece of crap your mouth is trying to take, also Pegasister is stupid because what if they like Unicorns or Earth Ponies more than Pegasi?

Actually I hear girls calling each other "bros" all the time. So to be fair its proably not that uncommon and would still make sense to call themselve's bronies.

I don't have a problem with them calling themselves bronies Pegasisters or whatever, as long as I understand what they are it makes no difference to me.

However I find calling a guy a pegasister kinda strange.. Unless its just for joking lol.

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree that girls can call themselves bronies if they want. However, I'm kind of sad that more people don't call themselves pegasisters. Its kind of nifty, but if they don't like it its up to them.

• Brohoof 2

I find your reasoning to be just the tiniest bit sexist.

Brony, as several of the lovely Bro's above me mentioned before, stands for the forum on 4Chan where this wonderful fandom took its roots. It is, thus, a unisex term, which everyone in this fandom is allowed to use. Heck, when I first became a Brony, I never really liked the term Pegasister. It felt like the use of that term differentiated the female side of the fandom from the male. Sure, MLP:FIM is a very male-heavy fan demographic, but that doesn't mean their aren't girls who like it. 

I'm a girl, and I always thought of myself as a Brony. I love the term, I love the fandom, and I reserve the right to use it as such.

Plus, please do remember that the core six of the show are all female. So saying that girls calling themselves Brony's is sort of odd doesn't really make that much sense. Considering that the show, in itself, is directed at younger female audiences to begin with.

Edited by HushedWren
  • Brohoof 3

a reference to 4Chan's /b/ board, originating as a term for someone who spammed ponies on /b/ before the 4chan universal ban of pony content.
Yup, this.  That's exactly where the term came from which means it's a general unisex term.  Besides, if we're getting our jimmies rustled by girls calling themselves bronies, then boys aren't allowed to watch anymore because there's so much pink.  Don't be sexist. ;)
  • Brohoof 5

ah the sexism here, i honestly don't know if the origin is from Bro/pony or the 4chan /b/ but it doesn't matter because the barrier for girls calling themselves brony's does not and should not exist.

hell i could start calling myself a pegasister from now on, sure i would get some funny looks and my girlfriend will laugh her ass off, but i would be allowed to do so.

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 2

people keep saying Sexist. Uh oh, people are saying a Naughty word lol. I don't even know what that word means but, whatever lol

Discrimination against genders, Doc :P  I go by bro, but I'm used to feeling more like one of "the guys" since I've been in all-boy classes and honestly I have more fun around guys th.n girls. Plus I always say guys instead of girls 

• Brohoof 2