Female Bronies  

194 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call female bronies?

• Brony
    • Pegasister
    • Filly
    • Bronette
    • Pegasis

Also, if their a brony how can you tell if their a boy or a girl?

First of all, why does it matter if they're a boy or a girl? Are you going to take their opinions more or less seriously because of their gender? Second of all, if the word "dude" can be used to refer to a girl, as it sometimes is, why shouldn't "bro" apply to both genders? Finally, the term brony is a generic term referring to a fan of mlp; it doesn't have to have anything to do with gender. By your logic girls/women are not part of "mankind", because it is derived from the word man.

Actually, one more thing; grammatically speaking, if you don't know the gender of the subject(s), you are supposed to assume masculine.

• Brohoof 3

First of all, why does it matter if they're a boy or a girl? Are you going to take their opinions more or less seriously because of their gender? Second of all, if the word "dude" can be used to refer to a girl, as it sometimes is, why shouldn't "bro" apply to both genders? Finally, the term brony is a generic term referring to a fan of mlp; it doesn't have to have anything to do with gender. By your logic girls/women are not part of "mankind", because it is derived from the word man.

Actually, one more thing; grammatically speaking, if you don't know the gender of the subject(s), you are supposed to assume masculine.

Well if they call themselve a brony it could be a boy behind the computer and is really a girl. Like what if I called myself a pegasister, you woud think I'm a girl right?

people keep saying Sexist. Uh oh, people are saying a Naughty word lol. I don't even know what that word means but, whatever lol

Sexism:

1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

2. Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

We're saying that what you said was sexist because it came off that way. It's 2013, remember that, saying that women using a term that you deem should only be specific to men brush most people the wrong way. 

• Brohoof 2

Brony was initially called that because it started in /b/.  It can go both ways, it used to be a gender specific term, but then it kinda flowered out to the girls, then they started calling themselves pegasisters, since it's easier to type brony and it's easier just call them bronies they started calling themselves brony, and thus the term became applicable to both sexes.

Edited by Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 1

Well if they call themselve a brony it could be a boy behind the computer and is really a girl. Like what if I called myself a pegasister, you woud think I'm a girl right?

I wouldn't really think about it because I don't care. Why should it matter to me what your gender is unless I'm discussing something with you which directly relates to gender?

• Brohoof 1

everypony, i am a Pegasister 

@@Alexdoc14,

welcome to the fandom, where man and women watch a show intended for little girls and can call themselfs whet ever they want free from bigots 

now i know i don't like useing this but Love and Tolorate 

Edited by PonyEcho

Pegasister is just ugly. Being that of the female variety myself, I can say that I much prefer to be called a brony. There is no need for the fandom to be divided that way.

As well, a lot of people call me things that would only be associated with males. Like dude and such. So the argument is quite invalid, and a bit sexist.

• Brohoof 2

I personally don't mind i girls starte to call themselves bronies. I believe that we should all be treated fairly and shouldn't tag one group with a different name. I think this term is better then Pegasister in my case. Pegasister sounds wierd to me and whenever I mention the name to my non brony freinds they can't take the name seriously. I find this harsh though.

If you want to call yourselves bronies or pegasisters then go ahead in not stoping you.

• Brohoof 1

In the English language male terms are often used to describe both genders. I mean, the word "woman" is derived from "man". It's always been acceptable in our society to refer to a group of people using the masculine form of a word, but never the other way around. "Guys", "Dude," "Man," etc are all used to refer to people of either gender.

Add to that the fact that the word isn't really a combination of "bro" and "pony" like most people believe and I see no reason it can't refer to both genders.

There has never been a fandom broken up by gender. You don't refer to female Star Trek fans as Trekettes, or female Whovians as Companions, or female X-philes as Scully-philes.

Besides, being called a pegasister makes me think girls are not an actual part of the community. It's like "sure, you can like the show but you're not one of us. You can't really get it unless you are a guy." 

When communicating on the internet it's never been easy to tell who is male or who is female. If other fandoms can manage to exist without labeling the genders, I don't see why this one can't.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
Removing response to hidden content.
  • Brohoof 7

Meh....I'm proud to call myself a brony! :D

That's like calling a girl 'dude'...it doesn't matter, and I don't care. I could care less if you call yourself a pegasister, brony (I just prefer the term brony because it sounds better). But honestly, a girl can still be a bro, and all. Who the hell cares, anyways? I f a guy uses the term Pegasister I wouldn't care. I call some girls dude, they don't care, nobody cares. Plus, wasn't it intended for both genders to use, anyways? The two names kinda feel like they're each of a different group, but we all like the same show: MLP. So it feels way better to call myself a brony.

So if a girl wants to use the term brony, she can. Don't get what's the big deal over it. If boys can watch MLP, girls can call themselves bronies. Simple.

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 2

Hey, if a girl like me wants to call themselves a brony it's fine. I personally think pegasister sucks, and I like brony better so 'Brony' for me.

Hey, people have got their opinions though :D. I'm still gonna call myself a brony, though.

EDIT: I don't get why you said we don't love and tolerate. I love and tolerate as much as I can.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
Removing uneeded content.
  • Brohoof 1

Aaaaw man now I feel bad. Which means that now I'm going out of my way to call myself a brony, just to annoy all the sexist curmudgeons!

I'm a brony, because I take part in the brony community, and MLP is aimed at young female children. I am not a young female child. Therefore, I am a brony. Plus "pegasister" just sounds so stupid IMO.

• Brohoof 4

I agree (and I'm a girl). But sometimes, "brony" flows with a sentence better than "pegasister". Pegasister is a long word, and pegasis wouldn't work because then it sounds like pegasus, and if you're going around saying you're a pegasus, you'll get sent to the therapist. So sometimes it's just easier to say "I'm a brony". Plus, some people are not familiar with the word "pegasister" so if you say "I'm a pegasister", they'll be like, "What..?"

• Brohoof 3

Forget gender, we are all related in one special way.

PONIES! Right? Yep.

How could you tell if they were a girl or a boy? They would say it. -_-

You fail sir.

Edited by ~Wubs~
  • Brohoof 1

All it is, is a name. There are girls out there with dude names, and vise versa. As far as I see, it isn't a problem. Just certain females like "Brony" better than "Pegasister"

Oh come on. Don't get your undies in bundle over something so trivial. I mean, I always kinda thought the term brony was sort of a guy thing but I don't have anything against girls calling themselves that. Besides, the term pegasister does sound pretty stupid.

Also, I don't think anyone is being sexist here. After all, we all watch a tv show about female ponies made for little girls...

• Brohoof 1

You're all confusing it. It started as brony, just a portmanteau of "bro" and "pony". Also, the people on /b/ (on 4chan), call each other "/b/ro" as a sign of respect, and the two terms merged.

So a brony is a a male fan of My Little Pony, as well as a blanket term for all fans of the show. There is absolutely nothing sexist about the term pegasister (which is pretty cool, IMO). And there is nothing sexist about brony either. I can understand the confusion, though, because it is a bit odd for female fans to go with a term that implies "bro". You just have to get used to it as "just a word" and nothing more.

Hope that helps!

Edited by MontagnaMagica

I like referring to myself as a pegasister, but 'brony' is the catchall phrase for fans of the show. You look around and you see brony forums, brony t-shirts, brony everywhere. Unless there's an area specifically meant for female fans of the show to have a place to gather, you really don't see it. Hell, there's a Bronycon - by your logic, does that mean it's male-only, no girls allowed?

I don't see a problem with it, and you shouldn't worry yourself with what other fans identify themselves as. That's a trivial subject, and there's nothing wrong with a girl calling themselves a brony.

This is nearly as bad as that "Is there a clopping MLP forums?" or whatever thread.

Who cares?

Why do you care?
It's not about you, so don't make it about you.

If something this trivial affects you in such a way, your life must be so filled with drama that I probably wouldn't even personally be able to withstand living beyond 2 seconds.

• Brohoof 5

To be honest, "Pegasister" sounds weird to me.  Girls can be "Bronies" if they want.  Girls say "hey guys" to each other all the time without anyone arguing.  

Plus... I'm just happy there are both males and females in the fandom, lol

Edited by Sonata18
  • Brohoof 1

I have a brony lady friend and she calls herself "brony." I told her about the term pegasister and she doesn't like it. She thinks it's kinda schmaltzy and doesn't have the same appeal as the word "brony."

Not to mention that she has always been called "bro" in our friend group, anyway, even before MLP. :P

Edited by StratoPegasus
  • Brohoof 1

'Brony' has less syllables than 'pegasister' so that's probably why it sounds a bit weird. And what's so bad about a girl being called a brony? I hear some of girls say 'dude' or 'hey guys!' and no one argues, don't be annoyed by it xP it's barely something to argue about.