Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: FiM to continue in movies

Firedog

So, their has been a lot of talk about the show ending with season 6 (though not confirmed). If the show did end then, do you think the show could live on through movies or that it would end entirely. AKA becoming a movie series like equestria girls. Assuming the 2017 movie gets good ratings

I wouldn't imagine it going on indefinitely. Eventually, Hasbro's going to reboot the franchise again, and when that happens there may or may not be a new cartoon to go with it.

Perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet that by the time the 2nd movie came out we'd have a reboot of the TV series. Maybe the main six would continue in the movies but Gen 5 would concentrate on new ponies, at least until Hasbro had gaged the fandom's reaction to Gen 5? IDK, doubt it but anything's possible.

For me it depends on how good the movies would actually be. If they're just as entertaining as the show, I'd be fine with it. If they go downhill, then G4 would probably just have to come to an end.

Although I doubt Hasbro will just end G4 quite yet, even if it's been going on longer than any other generation. They're making so much money off of the ponies that I can't see them ending it like that.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt it greatly, they will keep it, because they are making a high profit off of FiM, and as long as that happens. It will probably go on for a while longer. I do not see them just ending the show, like that.

Yea same, I don't really think they will just end it after a movie. To me it seems like a movie would be used to further the FiM brand. Plus them introducing Starlight Glimmer and all these new ponies could be them trying to extend the brand for more money. AKA more mane ponies = more toys to sell. If they did end it however, I could picture them making a 2nd movie if the first is successful even while the gen 4 show is over. It could go into a series like equestria girls, and even continue while gen 5 is playing

Yea same, I don't really think they will just end it after a movie. To me it seems like a movie would be used to further the FiM brand. Plus them introducing Starlight Glimmer and all these new ponies could be them trying to extend the brand for more money. AKA more mane ponies = more toys to sell. If they did end it however, I could picture them making a 2nd movie if the first is successful even while the gen 4 show is over. It could go into a series like equestria girls, and even continue while gen 5 is playing

I really agree with that. It is not signaling an end.

I wouldn't be surprised if next season was our last. To be honest, I wouldn't really mind. I'd assume the fandom would continue the storyline through fan fiction and fanimations, so it wouldn't really be a disaster. 

​Hopefully they would reboot it though.

I don't think either that it would just stop there abruptly. Like others said, Hasbro is making way too much money with this trend, it would be VERY unlikely that they would end it and not make a 5th generation that will follow the style of G4 or make extra bonus seasons.

To be honest, I don't really understand why the fandom is so obsessed with the show ending. Sure, nothing lasts forever, but we don't know if season 6 will be the last. I wouldn't be shocked if that turned out to be true, but I'd much rather cross that bridge when we get there. An in universe movie is also in no way confirmation of the show ending. For now though, we know that the show has another season on the way and that's it.

If the show does end, a series of movies is a possibility. Personally, I think the comics might continue on. GM Berrow's books might as well, but I think the comics have the most potential longevity. Fan works will undoubtedly keep coming. I'm sure going forward if Hasbro wants to try to make a new MLP series, FiM will be the past show they draw on the most, because it has been the most successful by far. I also don't know if Hasbro feels they have to keep rolling out new gens periodically. G1-3 were moderately successful, but their shows weren't that great IMHO, and I doubt they really helped promote their brand nearly as well as FiM has. New gens and new shows inevitably followed because they needed to make MLP relevant again. Well, FiM is keeping it at least reasonably relevant.

By the way, the original show and Pony Tales are G1-based, but the show we know as G1 featured G2 ponies in addition to G1 ponies near the end, and Pony Tales did from the start. In other words, a new gen doesn't necessarily mean a new show. New characters are constantly being introduced in FiM. G5 ponies could easily be introduced that way. It's not like the actual G4 pony toys look like the FiM characters anyways, so there's no law that says G5 pony toys can't look different than G4 pony toys. Heck, we could even get G5 versions of existing characters.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I don't really understand why the fandom is so obsessed with the show ending. Sure, nothing lasts forever, but we don't know if season 6 will be the last. I wouldn't be shocked if that turned out to be true, but I'd much rather cross that bridge when we get there. An in universe movie is also in no way confirmation of the show ending. For now though, we know that the show has another season on the way and that's it.

If the show does end, a series of movies is a possibility. Personally, I think the comics might continue on. GM Berrow's books might as well, but I think the comics have the most potential longevity. Fan works will undoubtedly keep coming. I'm sure going forward if Hasbro wants to try to make a new MLP series, FiM will be the past show they draw on the most, because it has been the most successful by far. I also don't know if Hasbro feels they have to keep rolling out new gens periodically. G1-3 were moderately successful, but their shows weren't that great IMHO, and I doubt they really helped promote their brand nearly as well as FiM has. New gens and new shows inevitably followed because they needed to make MLP relevant again. Well, FiM is keeping it at least reasonably relevant.

By the way, the original show and Pony Tales are G1-based, but the show we know as G1 featured G2 ponies in addition to G1 ponies near the end, and Pony Tales did from the start. In other words, a new gen doesn't necessarily mean a new show. New characters are constantly being introduced in FiM. G5 ponies could easily be introduced that way. It's not like the actual G4 pony toys look like the FiM characters anyways, so there's no law that says G5 pony toys can't look different than G4 pony toys. Heck, we could even get G5 versions of existing characters.

Using this reasoning, I guess it would be possible to say that characters like Starlight Glimmer and maybe even Sunset Shimmer are really G5 characters? So really, whenever the Mane 6 have been fully developed and their story has been told, they could be phased into a supporting roll (a la Zecora or the Princesses) for our new main characters, whom they reformed and who would mark the beginning of Gen 5 FiM?

• Brohoof 1

It would be a treat to see wouldn't it. But damn, I don't know. The cartoon serious was such a great success and still is a great success that maybe extra movies after the serious has ended would seem cheap. Hasbro would probably be accused of milking the franchise. I reckon it would be perfect to either continue with the TV show or cut it off.

• Brohoof 1

I hope we get a epic trilogy of MLP FIM movies. each one could have its own villain but they would be working for something else. then in the third movie they would have to take down the big villasin whose been manipulating everything, kinda like avengers and the infinity war movies.

I don't think either that it would just stop there abruptly. Like others said, Hasbro is making way too much money with this trend, it would be VERY unlikely that they would end it and not make a 5th generation that will follow the style of G4 or make extra bonus seasons.

My guess about that is that gen5 will have same animation style as gen4 but with new ponies and different town

My guess / hope.

Gen 5 will start BUT, every year we get a new made-for-tv pony movie that shows us what's been happening since the end.  Similar to how Hasbro made Gen1 Transformers stuff for decades, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if after the shows finale we'll either get a soft reboot / time skip or a new Gen trying new things while trying to appeal to us, with occassional Gen 4 stuff to throw us bones / fall back on if we don't cling to FiMs successor.

Using this reasoning, I guess it would be possible to say that characters like Starlight Glimmer and maybe even Sunset Shimmer are really G5 characters? So really, whenever the Mane 6 have been fully developed and their story has been told, they could be phased into a supporting roll (a la Zecora or the Princesses) for our new main characters, whom they reformed and who would mark the beginning of Gen 5 FiM?

That is a possibility should they decide to continue with the FiM universe after they've told all the stories could with the mane six, but they could also make G5 versions of the mane six toys and continue to have them as the mane cast. Past gens are somewhat limited in what we can infer from them since even G1 (the most successful past show) failed to achieve the success of FiM. G1 didn't really stick to a main cast of ponies. Near the end, particularly around season 2, it kind of started to but ponies were being phased in and out all along. Pony Tales had a mix of G1 and 2 ponies from the start, though it kind of failed to manage its cast very well. G3 had no main cast till later on, and that ended up being arbitrary and out of nowhere.

With FiM, I think if Hasbro does phase out the mane six or place them in supporting roles, they will start a separate series for the continued story with whatever cast they decide to focus on. When I mentioned G5 characters possibly being incorporated into FiM, I was primarily thinking of the supporting characters they add each season, though Sunny and Starlight also work in this regard as they add to the cast while allowing Hasbro to sell a line of toys based on them as well. I think we would know if Hasbro decides to roll out a G5 though. For now, all characters, even new ones, are still G4. I hope Starlight doesn't end up hogging the spotlight next season. We're kind of attached to our old mane six, and want to see more of them too. I'm sure Hasbro knows this however, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

• Brohoof 2

That is a possibility should they decide to continue with the FiM universe after they've told all the stories could with the mane six, but they could also make G5 versions of the mane six toys and continue to have them as the mane cast. Past gens are somewhat limited in what we can infer from them since even G1 (the most successful past show) failed to achieve the success of FiM. G1 didn't really stick to a main cast of ponies. Near the end, particularly around season 2, it kind of started to but ponies were being phased in and out all along. Pony Tales had a mix of G1 and 2 ponies from the start, though it kind of failed to manage its cast very well. G3 had no main cast till later on, and that ended up being arbitrary and out of nowhere.

With FiM, I think if Hasbro does phase out the mane six or place them in supporting roles, they will start a separate series for the continued story with whatever cast they decide to focus on. When I mentioned G5 characters possibly being incorporated into FiM, I was primarily thinking of the supporting characters they add each season, though Sunny and Starlight also work in this regard as they add to the cast while allowing Hasbro to sell a line of toys based on them as well. I think we would know if Hasbro decides to roll out a G5 though. For now, all characters, even new ones, are still G4. I hope Starlight doesn't end up hogging the spotlight next season. We're kind of attached to our old mane six, and want to see more of them too. I'm sure Hasbro knows this however, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

It would def. be cool if gen5 continued the story of FiM. Some people doubt that they could continue with the mane 6 as they need new toys to sell. But they could just make new designs for the toys like they did with rainbow power. Except on a much larger scale making them the new designs for all pony toys. I'm hoping though if they change out of the FiM universe that they continue to make FiM movies

• Brohoof 1

My guess about that is that gen5 will have same animation style as gen4 but with new ponies and different town

That would be a nice Idea, let's just hope that it is still the same lore and country realm / the same Equestria as G4 .

• Brohoof 1

It would def. be cool if gen5 continued the story of FiM. Some people doubt that they could continue with the mane 6 as they need new toys to sell. But they could just make new designs for the toys like they did with rainbow power. Except on a much larger scale making them the new designs for all pony toys. I'm hoping though if they change out of the FiM universe that they continue to make FiM movies

That would be nice. I suppose there is hope that they could recreate the awesomeness of FiM with a completely new series if they focus on what made FiM successful in the first place, and it's possible that FiM will continue to be supported in some way even in that case. If they're smart they won't look to G3 for inspiration, that much is certain. However, Equestria has so much untapped potential that I think it would be foolish to just toss it out like yesterday's trash. They could easily make a new series set elsewhere in Equestria starring a whole new cast of characters with the occasional cameo from familiar characters from FiM.

They could also just as easily choose existing characters to continue the story with. The CMCs could work in that regard. Also, what if Starlight Glimmer just joins the mane six for a bit then heads off elsewhere on her own adventures? A story set sometime in the future could also work. If they do create a whole new setting for a new series they would have to make sure it's not too similar to Equestria or what would be the point? I think it probably would be best if they stick with it in some way, shape or form.

• Brohoof 1