Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help Cleaning Old Rescue Ponies :(

Alyndrya

Hello! I am brand new to MLP. It's nice to meet you all and I hope that you had a great Christmas.

I rescued some old ponies and they're in a dreadful state! I know that they were owned by children and kept in a box for a long while, but I'm shocked at their condition. They're so beautiful, especially the ones with wings, and I just had seeing them in such a state. I can clean their bodies carefully, but their manes are all tangled and it's going to take a very long time to fix them. I ended up with two very large ones (The size of a smal teddy bear. One talks), 63 normal sized ones (Five with super long hair), 8 medium sized, 8 baby ones, and a really cute one on its haunches and wearing a diaper. Plus heaps of accessories.

Could anyone please tell me how to restore my ponies? I combed all the knots out of a pony with super long hair and also shampooed and conditioned it, but hair looks all frizzy and still sort of stiff. :(

Thank you! Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Warm regards,

Alyndrya

it sounds like you got some G1 ponies in there , the site Simon posted is a good site and is one I would use, the hair is gonna be the hardest, I think you can wash it with some human hair conditioner and it will soften the hair up enough to help you comb out all the tangles

just be careful because some of the G1 ponies can be REALLY expensive and you might be better off leaving them alone, also if you go to this site http://www.strawberryreef.com/            they have pictures and lists of all the ponies along with the accessories so you can match up which comb and stuff goes with the right pony, the accessories can be REALLY expensive also some are worth more than the ponies!

@@Alyndrya

As this is dealing with MLP merchandise it has been moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

Thanks. :)

Phoenix, I'm not sure if there are G1's. As I understand the markings in the side of the pony should be on left and right if they are original G1? I checked all of them, but none have it on both sides. So, the accessories are expensive too? Wow. They did include some of those. Unfortunately, I appear to have only three shoes for several sets, so I wouldn't be able to sell the complete lot if I sold the ponies. :( I've cleaned one pony with conditioner and her mane turned out really clean, but she's still frizzy as.

Oh wow, i'm jealous! I used to have a bunch of ponies when i was younger, but I thought I was too old for them so I had my mom sell them at a garage sale. A very nice lady bought them who collects them, so i'm at least glad they have a good home! (Maybe she still has them? This was 5-6 years ago. I'm curious now!)
You should take some before and after pictures once you restore them to their former glory, i'd absolutely LOVE to see that! Good luck!

You'd have to post pics in order for us to ID which gen they are from, but here are some unique features that differentiate them.  G3 and G1 look somewhat similar, but G1s have their cutie marks (which are just called symbols with G1/G2) on both sides.  G2s look very different to G1s, more slender (think of Celestia/Luna/Cadance's body type as compared to other ponies), G3s are a little smaller than G1s, have a cutie mark only on one side, and most have a small magnet on one of their front hooves with the G3 MLP logo. If they don't have a magnet, they will have a little plastic piece that also has the G3 logo on it. G3s also have a small heart on the bottom of one of their front legs.  All MLPs should also have "Hasbro" and a date on their hooves (in case you got fakes in with real MLPs).

As for cleaning, a Magic Eraser works wonders. It can get off most dirt/marker/other crap that kids get on their ponies. Just be careful around the eyes and cutie marks since it can rub those off.  The hair doesn't really require much in terms of equipment, but just a ton of tedious work. All you need is a comb, conditioner, and possibly some detangling spray.  In most cases all you need to fix up the hair is to wet it, spray some detangler or rub in some conditioner, and work through it with a comb.

If you've got frizzy hair, there have been a few methods I heard of.  One involves a straightening iron, but I don't have one, so I haven't tried it.  What I did was boil some water in a small saucepan and submerged the hair in the boiling water (be careful not to let the body of the pony go into the water or to have the hair touch the bottom of the saucepan), and then combed the hair again. It wasn't a complete success, but they did look a lot better afterward.

Edited by zombienixon

• 4 weeks later...

For hair, I would try deep conditioning it, leaving it in there for a couple hours and gently combing it out while your rinsing it out. Your shampoo and conditioner is good enough for their hair too.

I prefer to clean their bodies with antibacterial hand soap and rinse them off.

The site Simon posted is an excellent guide.

Congrats on your your new additions. :)

Edited by Leave a Whisper

What I've done in the past is shampoo and condition each one thoroughly, brushing the mane frequently during the wash.

I've seen other people dampen the hair and pulling it through an iron, although I haven't tried this for myself. It appears to work, though. Just remember to dampen the hair, not soak it, first.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...