Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Physics of Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom

Pretty Fly for a PinkiePie

In "Sonic Rainboom", RD has barely enough time before the ground to get her Rainboom off, all the way from probably 50 feet above cloudsdale. In "A Canterlot Wedding", she performs hers in just 3 seconds. Also, in the original, she was going with gravity, while in the most recent, she was going upwards and in an arc. Thoughts?

Well you have to consider that she overcame what held her back a while ago. Not to mention how much she has had to practice over that huge gap of time. Plus, she had been training EXTRA hard before hand.

Sorry if this is what the video's about, my phone wont accept anything that isnt directly from the Youtibe app but...

didn't some one make a Youtube video about his physics presentation of the sonic rainboom for his physics class?

She probably took longer than 3 seconds to get enough speed to perform the rainboom, they just didn't show it on screen. Also, Rainbow Dash probably became better at it since last rainboom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Theoretically, a shockwave has the ability to precipitate moisture in the air into raindrops. So I suppose that someone could go fast enough in a short enough period of time, it could create a shockwave that would precipitate raindrops. If these raindrops were created at the correct angle to the sun, a rainbow could be created. So a sonic rainboom would be extremely difficult and not very likely, but not physically impossible.

I wonder if you could replicate one in a laboratory using projectiles. I wonder if the Myth Busters watch My Little Pony.

• Brohoof 3

Theoretically, a shockwave has the ability to precipitate moisture in the air into raindrops. So I suppose that someone could go fast enough in a short enough period of time, it could create a shockwave that would precipitate raindrops. If these raindrops were created at the correct angle to the sun, a rainbow could be created. So a sonic rainboom would be extremely difficult and not very likely, but not physically impossible.

I wonder if you could replicate one in a laboratory using projectiles. I wonder if the Myth Busters watch My Little Pony.

Hahahaha nice. That would be an interesting episode. "Today we're going to test the greatest myth known to animals. Is the 'Sonic Rainboom' actually possible?"

(edited)

There are many factors that contribute to how quickly she did it this time. For one, the first one was back in Season one, i believe, thus implying there's a very large time gap. She probably, during that time perfected it and figured out how to do it easier and efficiently.

Also, she trained harder then ever before the wedding and probably was really prepared for it since she was expecting it.

Another possibility though is adrenaline. Assuming that ponies have it, she could have still had some adrenaline rush from the chaos of the wedding. I forget how long after the invasion it was that she did it, but if it was close enough there could have been lasting effects.

Still though, it's good to keep in mind that it's a cartoon and physics don't always apply to them especially in a world of magic. For all we know some one gave her a magical boost to make it work faster. Of course this is never even remotely hinted at, and is probably just a far fetched theory. Still a possible one though.

Edit: Wow, don't bring up science when I'm around. Posts get long.

Edited by Silver Arrow

This is my explanation (without magic):

Sonic Rainbooms are not simply falling. It takes tons of effort and energy. One explanation would be that Dash's wings are so powerful that she can bypass Terminal Velocity, creating a rainbow explosion in her path. It is hard to determine detailed facts, as the physics are not the same as real life physics. Now, let's say RD is around 160lbs. It would take nearly 60 seconds to achieve terminal velocity, including her wings assisting her. This means that it would take maybe 2 minutes to go 120mph (terminal velocity of the average pony), assuming she would go 2mph faster every 5 seconds. It would then take her another minute or so to go even faster than TV, since it takes an enormous amount of energy to go so fast, let alone fly at all.

Remember, this is based on real life physics, not MLP Physics, so this can always be incorrect.