Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Credit Cards- do you have/use one?

Cirrus.

Credit Cards  

82 users have voted

1. 1. Do you have any credit cards?

• Yes
    • No- But I am old enough
    • No- I'm not old enough anyways
  2. 2. If you ARE old enough and don't have credit cards why not?

• I use cash/Debit
    • Credit cards ARE THE DEVIL
    • I'm worried I'll end up in debt or overspend
    • I just don't want one
    • (I had to put this option for the poll to function) I DO have credit card(s)

2 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I have a debit card and I can see how much I spent in the bank account statement.

So, as I said, it's a one-time thing. You get the card, you get some money with it. You essentially get to spend that money once. After that, it's the same as before, just that now you absolutely have to put the "credit amount" back. So, having a debit card, I just skip the "borrow" part.

IMO, the only real use for a credit card in my country is for people who travel a lot - you get free travel insurance with a credit card.

My debit card account shows me what I’ve spent but it doesn’t add the full amount of all my purchases together.  

I travel a lot though and that’s the main reason I have one.

1 minute ago, AppleButt said:

My debit card account shows me what I’ve spent but it doesn’t add the full amount of all my purchases together.  

Interesting, I have seen a bank statement from an account that was attached to a credit card, it looked exactly the same as mine. starting balance, various transfers (in/out) and balance at the end.

Unless what you mean is that your bank shows you money you spent using the card separately from various bank transfers, like paying bills etc.

21 minutes ago, AppleButt said:

Huh.  Interesting.  Guess that’s just not something my bank does. 

Yeah, it looks liek this 

Balance at the beginning of the time period: 100

Transfer to x:   -20, remaining 80

Transfer to y: -10, remaining 70

Transfer from z: 100, remaining 170

Total debit in the time period: 30

Total credit in the time period: 100

Balance at the end of the time period: 170

Each transfer also has a date.

Edited by Pentium100

• 2 years later...

I've only had a debit card for about two years, but I pretty much use it for most transactions. I still keep cash with me though, just in case. :grin:

• 1 month later...
On 2023-06-09 at 5:36 AM, Cash In said:

I still keep cash with me though, just in case. :grin:

Course you would :P

I hold a bit of cash on hand, but I try to use my credit card whenever possible (on and offline). It's a hell of a lot easier to deal with in case someone steals my credit card since thats not my money that I have to freak out about.

Before I used a credit card, I had to use my debit card connected to Paypal and use their "Pay in 4" thing to build my credit score. I would just pay it off instantly since it gave the option to pay it all off in one go rather than wait periodically. I also used Affirm, Klarna and Zip to help with that too whenever those were available and did the same thing where I paid it off quick before they could apply interest fees. It's worked out well for me that way.

It can be tempting to just buy stuff with it but I've got my own mental barrier for how much I am comfortable spending between paychecks. If the money in my checking and savings accounts goes below a certain amount, that's probably enough spending before things go south.

I don't have one,  never had one,  and feel no need for one in the next year. :lookup:  I paid off my student loads after 8 years of working two jobs and I have no rush to get into debt again anytime soon. 

(edited)

I only have debit cards and only really use them if I'm buying stuff online, offline I pretty much only use cash and avoid using businesses or services that don't accept cash.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

I have way too many credit cards. It used to be a fun habit for me to balance them before... yeah.. covid made me close my business down :/

• 1 month later...

Yes i do. I really wish I don’t have to max it out or get close to it really soon.

On 2023-09-08 at 6:37 PM, Clawdeen said:

No I pay with Monopoly money. 

No but seriously I do have one.

I’ll accept, but my exchange rate is $100,000,000,000 for $1 USD :orly: . Or whatever 1 Zimbabwe dollar is at right now.