Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mane 5 before Twilight Sparkle

Thebeardedone

I don't know. It seemed they were most likely friends since they knew each other, but it looked like they didn't visit or see each other much, and they just kept to themselves. Probably more like acquaintances before Twilight.

I wonder the same thing myself. They lived in Ponyville, but I don't think they knew each other very well. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were childhood friends, but I don't know if they spoke to each other very often. Everyone knows Pinkie, and have heard of Sweet Apple Acres, but they didn't become friends until Twilight brought them together. At least, that is what I think.

Well it seems like a few knew each other.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy

Rarity, Twilight, Applejack are forever alone I suppose.

Pinkie Pie made it out like she's friends with everypony, so I belive her xD

Also, it seems like they all had a connection with Rainbow Dash one way or another.

• Brohoof 1

Well Pinkie knows everypony in Ponyville and she's friend with all of them...

Flutters knew RD since they were fillies according to Episode 23 the Cutiemark Chronicles

AJ might have known Pinkie, Pinkie wouldn't just call AJ the best baker out of one or two experiences....

Rarity... I think Unicorns aren't interested in friends or something....

• Brohoof 1

Everyone knows Pinkie, and have heard of Sweet Apple Acres, but they didn't become friends until Twilight brought them together. At least, that is what I think.

But eveyone is Pinkie Pie's friend, silly!

The five weren't really friends with each other until Twilight came to Ponyville. Yes, they knew each other and had more than likely bumped into one another around town, but each one only associated themselves with certain individuals rather than as a group. Dash and Fluttershy knew each other from flight camp, AJ and Rarity almost never spoke with one another due to thier opposite interest and personalities, AJ may have competed with Dash on an occasion or two and knew enough about her brash attitude to grab her by the tail in the pilot when she charged to attack Nightmare Moon, and everyone knew Pinkie solely for how unusual and happy-go-lucky she was.

Were the rest of the Mane Six all friends before Twilight came to Ponyville? I think it's a fair, unequivocal no.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy knew each other from flight school in Cloudsdale, but apart from possibly providing a reason for Rainbow Dash to move to Ponyville instead of some other small town to be a weathermare as a cushy, easy job leaving her with plenty of time to work on joining the Wonderbolts, I don't think they were all that close of friends prior to Twilight showing up. Truth is Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy don't have too many things in common, so I can't see them choosing to spend time together without something bringing them together. That's not to say they haven't become closer friends since and found many things they enjoy together, but they needed the spark first.

Fluttershy and Rarity, it's hard to say whether or not they were friends prior to Twilight, but I would lay odds that they weren't. Their respective careers and general interests means they wouldn't have crossed paths all that often...it's true that Fluttershy became Rarity's spa buddy, but we can't tell whether or not they were buddies like that prior to Twilight. Then again, it's always possible that Opalescence was adopted from Fluttershy, and thus they might've at least known each other.

Fluttershy and Applejack most probably knew each other at least in passing. As the main animal caretaker in Ponyville, I wouldn't be surprised if Winona was adopted from Fluttershy to begin with. At the very least Fluttershy would have been consulted as an aid to help deal with animals preying on Sweet Apple Acres crops, especially since animals in Equestria are much more managed than wild animals in our world. Applejack was probably too busy to make much time for Fluttershy as a real friend other than that, though they were at least friendly

Applejack and Rarity would have had absolutely no reason to speak to one another. As it was it took significant amounts of effort on Twilight's part to get them to like each other even after the Mane Six became friends and harnessed the Elements of Harmony. Though they had forged ties of friendship in the trials of fire through the Everfree, they share few interests and have histories that suggest they openly despise the other's lifestyle choices. Applejack had tried the fanciful high class life in Manehatten and regretted it, while I've always believed that Rarity was born a farm filly and hated it so much that she intentionally crafted her upper class demeanor on purpose in order to escape her origins.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash similarly had no reason to speak to each other. Odds are Rarity was aware of who Rainbow Dash was at least in passing, since Rainbow Dash struts around town all the time, but seeing as how Rainbow Dash isn't all that fond of makeup, accessories, and clothes, she had little reason to waste time on Rarity.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack, I actually wouldn't be too surprised if they had been friends prior to Twilight. Their respective athletic interests at the very least provide something that would draw them together, to compete against each other and so on, though not necessarily at the level of the Iron Pony competition from Fall Weather Friends.

You may have noticed I haven't mentioned Pinkie Pie. That's because I don't think she was really friends with any of them prior to Twilight. Oh, they knew who she was. They knew about her Pinkie Sense. They probably even partied with her a few times. And they acted in a friendly manner with her. But actual, full out close friends? No. Pinkie Pie didn't have any close friends before the rest of the Mane Six, and they didn't become close friends with her until after Twilight.

Twilight was important in bringing all of them together as true friends. They needed to fight by each others side during the struggle to track down the Elements and stop Nightmare Moon in order to become friends, because they needed those bonds that can only form during the struggle to survive.

Edited by Kyronea
  • Brohoof 15

Hmmm... hard to say. They definitely knew each other it seems, and were more than acquaintances, at least some of them were it seems, since all of them did greet Twilight together at Pinkie's welcoming party for her, but I'd definitely say that Twilight's arrival and the events of the Summer Sun Celebration and their defeat of Nightmare Moon solidified their friendships and brought the Mane 6 all together.

I was actually thinking along the same lines as everyone else, but then I started getting thoughts that led me to believe that they were friends. They might not pair off with one another, but I'd say they're friends under a group dynamic.

Fluttershy knows Rainbow Dash from since she was a filly. Fluttershy knows Rarity from the spa. Rainbow Dash knows Applejack through their shared love for athletics, and from participating against each other. Pinkie Pie knows every pony in town, and Rarity is known to like a bit of gossip, so I'd say they got along quite well together. Rarity probably knows Applejack through school, back when they were fillies. Pinkie Pie knows Applejack through the catering business, as PP knows to turn to AJ when she needs help baking.

So Fluttershy knows Applejack through Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash knows Rarity through Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie knows Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy through Rarity.

Although now I'm beginning to doubt myself...

Twilight was important in bringing all of them together as true friends. They needed to fight by each others side during the struggle to track down the Elements and stop Nightmare Moon in order to become friends, because they needed those bonds that can only form during the struggle to survive.

I have a theory to back up this up.

In the "Mare in the Moon" episodes, Twilight reads the book about the elements of harmony and how to use them. "When the 5 are present, a spark will cause the sixth element to be revealed."

That "spark" was Twilight realizing the importance of friendship. Each of the mane 6 represent one of the elements. If we were to think of them as such we would get this:

All five elements were present in Ponyville. Twilight is the sixth element and she revealed herself to Ponyville so to speak. Twilight was the 'spark' that ignited their friendship. I would assume that if she were to leave Ponyville, the other five would no longer be friends or at least as close as they currently are.

Let me try to make this more clear.

5 elements + "spark" = sixth element(friendship)

mane 5(elements) + Twilight("spark") = friendship(sixth element)

I say they all met each other through their occupations but were strictly clients/acquaintances for each other

Pinkie is the town celebrant so the others were invited to parties

Rainbow is Ponyville's weather organizer so the others either knew of her or saw her performing her duties

Rarity is the tailor/dressmaker so the others could have ordered an outfit or saw Ponyvillians wearing Rarity's outfits

Applejack is the town farmer so the others probably bought food from her, the zap apple jam and cider especially

Fluttershy is like the town kennel, vet, groomer, so the others might have had their pets looked after by her

The place of pony ville now without twilight ever showing seems like a dead place. I really wouln't see fluttershy fitting in with any group, nor rarity. Rarity belongs in canterlot IMO.

I would say that the following friendships existed before Twilight:

Rainbow and Fluttershy - this one's canon, as they knew each other since flight school.

Rainbow and Applejack - most likely they met when RD was helping AJ with weather on her farm, and their similarities brought them together.

Rarity and Fluttershy - they seem like they've known each other for a long while. My theory is that they met shortly after Fluttershy moved to Ponyville, and Rarity was the most helpful at helping her get acclimated to the new town.

Pinkie Pie and everyone else - Pinkie Pie was everyone's friend, we've seen what happens if you're not her friend.

Beyond that, I believe that Rainbow and Rarity probably knew each other because of their mutual friendship with Fluttershy, but probably didn't interact much. I doubt AJ would've known Rarity at all.

Wow, Kyronea's post really got me thinking about Pinkie Pie. I never really considered that she might not have had close friends before Twilight came around to bring the 6 together.

I guess she just welcomed people and threw parties, and knew everybody but not at anything more than a surface level. Her breakdown in Party of One makes a lot more sense in that context. She was afraid she might be losing her only friends ever.

one thing that bares noting is that Ponyville is small, I'ts essentially that quaint little village where everypony knows everypony else, so I find it unlikely that any of them could have not known any one of the others, sure they weren't 'friends', but they were at least familiar with one another.

All five elements were present in Ponyville. Twilight is the sixth element and she revealed herself to Ponyville so to speak. Twilight was the 'spark' that ignited their friendship. I would assume that if she were to leave Ponyville, the other five would no longer be friends or at least as close as they currently are.

The rest of your post is essentially a restatement of canon and one I don't think anyone would disagree with, so I shall address merely this part.

And that is to say that I disagree, at least somewhat. At this point the bonds of friendship between the Mane Six are too strong for Twilight's disappearance to destroy them. Of course that may depend upon why Twilight leaves to begin with. If she simply moves away for some reason, such as to take up a teaching position at the School for Gifted Unicorns, or to manage Canterlot's library, or to move away with a lover or any number of other similar possibilities, I think she'd do everything she could to at least stay pen pals with the rest of the Mane Six, sending them letters and so on, and the others would remain in Ponyville anyway with the possible exception of Rainbow Dash, if she joins the Wonderbolts, and Rarity, if she decides to assume a position of nobility in Canterlot.

If, Celestia forbid, Twilight were to vanish because she loses her life, then I think it's possible some bonds may be broken, though that again depends upon how she dies. In particular there's always the possibility of one of the Mane Six taking the blame for Twilight's death, if there was an accident that could have been avoided, or worse, if Twilight were to fall in battle against some foe like the Changelings when she could have been saved by one of the Mane Six taking a different action.

But I think the rest of them are too good of friends for much to destroy those bonds. That's the nature of the Elements of Harmony after all. Twilight was the spark to begin it, but once the fire arose it blazed with a fury that cannot be squashed by one leaving, whatever the reason for their leaving may be. Everyone amongst the Mane Six has too much in common now, do too many things together, care about each other too much to abandon each other. Even Rarity and Applejack, quintessential opposites they are, have enough in common now and are able to appreciate each other even if they sometimes get on each others nerves.

I'm 100% inclined to believe this because there are a few trade offs that come with being the "party animal" and "the one who gets along with everypony", such as not really knowing who you truly care about. While it is nice to see people having fun with everybody, it ultimately doesn't pay many dividends as you do not have "that group" to lean onto and call them your friends. To this end, Twilight's rather untimely appearance in Ponyville inadvertently pushed Pinkie over the hump and as a result, her relations with all the pony folk have clearly grown stronger to what was implied at the beginning of the show.

I've written many pages on the psychology of Pinkie Pie, an analysis that you can read here though keep in mind it's both out of date(written around the time of Secret of My Excess) and in need of serious revision.

But ultimately to sum up how I view Pinkie Pie and her relationships with others, is that often, the one person who tries to make everyone else happier is the saddest of the all. In particular the way Pinkie Pie goes about it is, as you say, a manner in which lends itself to a lack of real friends. Pinkie might party with everyone and be the cheerful morale officer that brightens everyone's day, but how often did she have a chance to really just vent to a friend, or have someone listen to her own problems? No one is happy all the time, and Pinkie is no exception to that. Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six are probably the five most important ponies in Pinkie's life, and I imagine she'd lay down her life for any of them at a moment's notice.

First sentence is a big understatement, but it really all comes down to showing people the light, so to speak - unintentionally or otherwise. Comes with the job of being the element of magic, right? When Twilight felt "the spark", the rest of the Mane 6 did as well. Rest assured of course, it ended up being a rather innate talent of Twilight's.

Although I'm not the only one to say so, I think of the Element of Magic as also being the Element of Love. Love can take many forms. It doesn't always have to be romantic, after all...the love shared between parent and child, or sibling and sibling, or indeed, friend and friend, can be just as strong or even stronger. Friendship is Magic, to quote the title of the show, and as Twilight's love for her friends grows, so too does her magic. The season finale really helped bolster this interpretation I have in a way that makes me quite happy.

But as I said, Twilight provided the spark, but the fires of their friendship blaze so strong that not even death could shatter their bonds.

• Brohoof 3

Lets do a 10 point rating, just because

Best pony Rainbow Dash:

v second best pony Fluttershy - 7/10 They were buddies in Cloudsdale, and RD did stand up for her, but then again in Dragonshy she was REALLY bitchy about Fluttershy, and in Griffon the Brush Off she intended to prank Fluttershy, which even Pinkie knew was forbidden, so idk. She probably considers herself good friends with Fluttershy but really does not know much about her before Twilight or even S2.

v third best pony Pinkie Pie - 4/10 She KNEW Pinkie, like everyone else, but she doesn't really get to know her until Griffon the Brush Off

v Rarity - 1/10 wat?

v Applejack - 5.5/10 They have similar interests, but are different as well. They knew each other, and may have cooperated, but not to the extent of good friends, maybe somewhat friends at most.

Second best pony Fluttershy:

v third best pony Pinkie Pie - 2.5/10 She KNEW Pinkie, but the personality difference is way too big. Even disregarding the pets and animals, Fluttershy seems to prefer the finesse, but not condescending about it like Rarity, as well as peace and quiet.

v Rarity - 8/10 Spa trips, plus the fact that Fluttershy doesn't seem as nervous in front of Rarity. They also share the same tastes, maybe arguably Fluttershy has even more refined taste shown by her...very specific... rant in Suited for Success

v Applejack - 4/10 They could have done something together at some point, but its pretty vague on this one. Fluttershy does recognize Applejack though

Third best pony Pinkie Pie:

v Rarity - 1.5/10 Eenope

v Applejack - 4/10 They know each other, but only as acquaintances at most

Rarity:

v Applejack - 0/10 .

Overall, they weren't nearly as friendly before Twilight, and were for the most part just fellow residents of Ponyville

Edited by Whiteshade

Were the rest of the Mane Six all friends before Twilight came to Ponyville? I think it's a fair, unequivocal no.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy knew each other from flight school in Cloudsdale, but apart from possibly providing a reason for Rainbow Dash to move to Ponyville instead of some other small town to be a weathermare as a cushy, easy job leaving her with plenty of time to work on joining the Wonderbolts, I don't think they were all that close of friends prior to Twilight showing up. Truth is Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy don't have too many things in common, so I can't see them choosing to spend time together without something bringing them together. That's not to say they haven't become closer friends since and found many things they enjoy together, but they needed the spark first.

Fluttershy and Rarity, it's hard to say whether or not they were friends prior to Twilight, but I would lay odds that they weren't. Their respective careers and general interests means they wouldn't have crossed paths all that often...it's true that Fluttershy became Rarity's spa buddy, but we can't tell whether or not they were buddies like that prior to Twilight. Then again, it's always possible that Opalescence was adopted from Fluttershy, and thus they might've at least known each other.

Fluttershy and Applejack most probably knew each other at least in passing. As the main animal caretaker in Ponyville, I wouldn't be surprised if Winona was adopted from Fluttershy to begin with. At the very least Fluttershy would have been consulted as an aid to help deal with animals preying on Sweet Apple Acres crops, especially since animals in Equestria are much more managed than wild animals in our world. Applejack was probably too busy to make much time for Fluttershy as a real friend other than that, though they were at least friendly

Applejack and Rarity would have had absolutely no reason to speak to one another. As it was it took significant amounts of effort on Twilight's part to get them to like each other even after the Mane Six became friends and harnessed the Elements of Harmony. Though they had forged ties of friendship in the trials of fire through the Everfree, they share few interests and have histories that suggest they openly despise the other's lifestyle choices. Applejack had tried the fanciful high class life in Manehatten and regretted it, while I've always believed that Rarity was born a farm filly and hated it so much that she intentionally crafted her upper class demeanor on purpose in order to escape her origins.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash similarly had no reason to speak to each other. Odds are Rarity was aware of who Rainbow Dash was at least in passing, since Rainbow Dash struts around town all the time, but seeing as how Rainbow Dash isn't all that fond of makeup, accessories, and clothes, she had little reason to waste time on Rarity.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack, I actually wouldn't be too surprised if they had been friends prior to Twilight. Their respective athletic interests at the very least provide something that would draw them together, to compete against each other and so on, though not necessarily at the level of the Iron Pony competition from Fall Weather Friends.

You may have noticed I haven't mentioned Pinkie Pie. That's because I don't think she was really friends with any of them prior to Twilight. Oh, they knew who she was. They knew about her Pinkie Sense. They probably even partied with her a few times. And they acted in a friendly manner with her. But actual, full out close friends? No. Pinkie Pie didn't have any close friends before the rest of the Mane Six, and they didn't become close friends with her until after Twilight.

This pretty much sums it all up.

However I believe that Fluttershy and Rarity were friends before since Rarity considers Fluttershy her best friend.

Third best pony Pinkie Pie:

v Rarity - 1.5/10 Eenope

We see them going around Ponyville together in Putting Your Hoof Down, so I wouldn't say they're completely incompatable. It's hard to say if this bond happened before or after Twilight arrived though....

Edited by GJB93

The rest of your post is essentially a restatement of canon and one I don't think anyone would disagree with, so I shall address merely this part.

And that is to say that I disagree, at least somewhat. At this point the bonds of friendship between the Mane Six are too strong for Twilight's disappearance to destroy them. Of course that may depend upon why Twilight leaves to begin with. If she simply moves away for some reason, such as to take up a teaching position at the School for Gifted Unicorns, or to manage Canterlot's library, or to move away with a lover or any number of other similar possibilities, I think she'd do everything she could to at least stay pen pals with the rest of the Mane Six, sending them letters and so on, and the others would remain in Ponyville anyway with the possible exception of Rainbow Dash, if she joins the Wonderbolts, and Rarity, if she decides to assume a position of nobility in Canterlot.

If, Celestia forbid, Twilight were to vanish because she loses her life, then I think it's possible some bonds may be broken, though that again depends upon how she dies. In particular there's always the possibility of one of the Mane Six taking the blame for Twilight's death, if there was an accident that could have been avoided, or worse, if Twilight were to fall in battle against some foe like the Changelings when she could have been saved by one of the Mane Six taking a different action.

But I think the rest of them are too good of friends for much to destroy those bonds. That's the nature of the Elements of Harmony after all. Twilight was the spark to begin it, but once the fire arose it blazed with a fury that cannot be squashed by one leaving, whatever the reason for their leaving may be. Everyone amongst the Mane Six has too much in common now, do too many things together, care about each other too much to abandon each other. Even Rarity and Applejack, quintessential opposites they are, have enough in common now and are able to appreciate each other even if they sometimes get on each others nerves.

I see your point. I was assuming that Twilight was the pillar of their friendships. As I read your post I started thinking about how the others still do things together even if Twilight isn't around. That made me realize my thought on Twilight being removed would destroy their friendships was wrong.