Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler New information on Cutie marks (and Speculation)

Buck Testa

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/02/new-griffon-character-revealed-at-toy.html#more

So I just read something that put the nail in an already dead theory of mine from that link, and yet I find it extremely fascinating none the less. 

There may be griffons getting Cutie Marks in season 6

surprise_gilda_by_ultimateultimate-d59cs

Yeah...Griffons with cutie marks.

At first I didn't really know what to think, but my mind being the kind of thing that like to connect the dots (whether or not they can be connected at all) came to an interesting conclusion. New theory inbound.  

Remember when the Cutie Map sent out Pinkie and Dash as ambassadors for the Griffons? Their goal was to spread the message of Harmony, aka "friendship" while they were there, and they got Gilda to work as their first converted follower there. 

The Cutie marks have a very strong connection to the Tree of Harmony. They are designed to give guidance to what the ponies (or at least just ponies and the occasional Zebra up until now) were supposed to do in life and give them the boost to do it. Ponies without cutie marks or with malicious cutie marks (like the Equal Sign cutie marks created by Starlight Glimmer) were just not as capable as the ones whom had them on their flank. While its been debunked by now that it forces or coerces you to choose this route in life (part of an earlier theory of mine), it is heavily implied that they would have a much happier and more fulfilling life if they did follow the implicit instructions it gave. Not all Ponies readily understand what those instructions are (Troubleshoes and Diamond Tiara as examples) but when they do they are far happier for it and are more capable when they follow that calling. 

But Here we have Griffons with the potential of getting Cutie marks. This potential is coming AFTER The Tree and the Map sent out ambassadors to speak with the Griffons. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were given cutie marks and instructions to help OTHERS "get their cutie marks"

I'm Thinking that what this means is The Tree of Harmony is going to make moves to get the Griffons on the side of Harmony. By giving them the potential to get cutie marks they would be able to organize and find their "purpose" in society in the same way the Ponies did. 

There will be those whom argue against the idea of the Tree being sentient and having its own agenda, but if you really think about it its pretty obvious. It organized the mane six to get their cutie marks, Its the thing that handed out the elements of Harmony, the Villain Crushing rainbows, the Rainbow Power, the Castle, and the Castle map that is doling out instructions to the princess and the mane six whom accepts them without question. It's also the thing that took away Starswirls spell from Twilight and Starlight after the season five finale was over. Its aim is Harmony and friendship, and it gave it to a race that would literally let itself be torn apart by Windegos before they would extend a hoof towards each other. Its basically the closest thing to a Deity on this show. 

It also raises the question of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Perhaps they are going to play a bigger role than we thought. If this is true, and that any race that aligns itself with Harmony could be given the potential to get cutie marks (even if individuals don't necessarily follow along), Then the CMC might become a LITERAL crusaders, getting pony and non pony alike to, for lack of a better term, "convert" 

See any flaws in my reasoning? Want to debunk my theory? Lets discuss shall we! 

• Brohoof 5

Honestly this seem to verge on lore breaking, and cutie marks have not been a particularly well defined lore to begin with. My big concern is that this puts ponies on a much bigger pedestal, that they are the master race in the world and, if I were to make a HUGE hyperbolic comparison, would be like how Europe view itself next to Africa and Asia in the 1800s. I mean I can accept ponies have cutie marks as part of some weird genetics thing they have and other races if it were establish, but you're saying that in all the time Griffons have existed, even the ones that live in Equestria, NONE of them has ever gotten a cutie mark? Why because they don't live up to the pony ideal?

But I may be overplaying this.  For one thing this is rather out of context. I mean it's like me saying The Force Awakens will suck after reading a short bio blurb off of several action figure boxes, there is so little information there. Secondly, I have no idea how they're going to work with it in the show.  I mean I am skeptical of the premise but then again I though them making the characters human would be a death nail and now I'm eagerly waiting the fourth movie.  So consider me weary of the idea but hopeful that the staff will do this concept right. I mean for all I know they're got to have a twist ending reveal that the character's actually a Hippogriff. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro is probably just going to try and retrofit the Griffons with Cutie Marks to make them more marketable as toys. I wouldn't be surprised if they all just get them by the end of the episode, through whatever contrivance the writers can come up with.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly this seem to verge on lore breaking, and cutie marks have not been a particularly well defined lore to begin with. My big concern is that this puts ponies on a much bigger pedestal, that they are the master race in the world and, if I were to make a HUGE hyperbolic comparison, would be like how Europe view itself next to Africa and Asia in the 1800s. I mean I can accept ponies have cutie marks as part of some weird genetics thing they have and other races if it were establish, but you're saying that in all the time Griffons have existed, even the ones that live in Equestria, NONE of them has ever gotten a cutie mark? Why because they don't live up to the pony ideal?

But I may be overplaying this.  For one thing this is rather out of context. I mean it's like me saying The Force Awakens will suck after reading a short bio blurb off of several action figure boxes, there is so little information there. Secondly, I have no idea how they're going to work with it in the show.  I mean I am skeptical of the premise but then again I though them making the characters human would be a death nail and now I'm eagerly waiting the fourth movie.  So consider me weary of the idea but hopeful that the staff will do this concept right. I mean for all I know they're got to have a twist ending reveal that the character's actually a Hippogriff. 

We are certainly running off of word of mouth here, it could end up getting debunked. That being said I see while I see what you mean by "lore breaking" I've come to subscribe to the idea that Lore isn't broken unless its explicitly contradicting something that was stated. I'm also asserting that the Griffons didn't have the capability to get cutie marks until they started to conform to "harmony and friendship" 

which has some kinda creepy undertones to it when you think about it. 

I do agree this does give an even stronger "Ponies master race" vibe to it. They've already been treading that line with how disagreeable the other races that have been introduced have been. They tell jokes about Donkeys, griffons and dragons are greedy and belligerent, Yaks are violent and high maintenance, Cows and Pigs appear to be kept on farms even though they are sentient, its all has some uncomfortable implications attached to it.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

I find it to be rather interesting that Griffons could get cutie marks in season 6.  While it sounds really weird that we haven't heard about anything like this happening in the first 5 seasons (I didn't think that they could get cutie marks) I happily welcome any new species and worldbuildind/lore into the show.

• Brohoof 1

I find it to be rather interesting that Griffons could get cutie marks in season 6.  While it sounds really weird that we haven't heard about anything like this happening in the first 5 seasons (I didn't think that they could get cutie marks) I happily welcome any new species and worldbuildind/lore into the show.

My thought is that they can Get cutie marks now specifically because the Castle's map sent ambassadors there. Perhaps there is more to the map than just dealing with friendship problems...maybe bringing other races under the order brought about by cutie marks is part of that. Very interesting stuff 

It'll be interesting to see where they go with this to say the least. Though it becomes a problem when you realize they're doing something like this so late

Griffons are part bird of different types for each individual and part lion. A griffon getting a cutie mark makes no logical sense. The lack of evidence is damning here. Besides, sad to say but EQD has reported things that turn out to be fake before. (the "storyboard animatics")

Griffons are part bird of different types for each individual and part lion. A griffon getting a cutie mark makes no logical sense. The lack of evidence is damning here. Besides, sad to say but EQD has reported things that turn out to be fake before. (the "storyboard animatics")

I'm sure if its fake it'll be weeded out soon. 

If this is true though, and my speculation is on the right track, then its not the fact that the race is equine that gives them cutie marks, its that their race is aligned with harmony. 

This isn't something I want to happen. I prefer cutie marks being a pony only thing, their racial thing, y'know? Something that's different about them from other races.

Like I can accept them  having SYMBOLS on their toys, but ONLY for toys, but not having in show cutie marks, yeah? (like how spike has a symbol on his guardians of harmony toy)

• Brohoof 1

Their reasoning for the lore to not contradict owuld be its present in those who are surrounded by friendship more often. Even if they are in denial of friendship qualities, such as Tiara still was close friends with Silver Spoon, perhaps even before the crusaders formed could explain why their marks showed up sooner.

If this is true, they need to come to our world so we can have cutie marks too. X3

Imagine Equestria Girls the girls realize they are all getting CMs but don't wanna say because its on their butts and it means showing each other theirs lol.

Well first off, there's the fact that we've only got a second hand account, so this could be a misinterpretation of EqD's part, similar to that Fluttershy becomes a dragon thing several years ago.

It could also be that this is one of those kinds of plots where a creature of some species, usually a young one, tries to be like a creature of another species. It could even be a reworked version of that episode idea Lauren mentioned once about a pony who grew up thinking they were a deer, only we have a griffon trying to be/growing up believing they're a pony.

Edited by Marimo

This isn't something I want to happen. I prefer cutie marks being a pony only thing, their racial thing, y'know? Something that's different about them from other races.

Like I can accept them  having SYMBOLS on their toys, but ONLY for toys, but not having in show cutie marks, yeah? (like how spike has a symbol on his guardians of harmony toy)

This was at a Toy expo, so It could be just relating to the toys. I'm thinking its going to affect the show though. I can't say I'm totally thrilled with it either; Sure I'll make a head canon around it but its changing the status quo in a weird way. 

Their reasoning for the lore to not contradict owuld be its present in those who are surrounded by friendship more often. Even if they are in denial of friendship qualities, such as Tiara still was close friends with Silver Spoon, perhaps even before the crusaders formed could explain why their marks showed up sooner.

Imagine Equestria Girls the girls realize they are all getting CMs but don't wanna say because its on their butts and it means showing each other theirs lol.

Cutie marks appear, now more than ever, to be a form of behavioral control. Sure its not "making" the pony (or griffon in this case) go in a specific direction in their life, but invariably they are miserable whenever they try to go against their cutie mark and/or special talent. They are part of the reason why Equestria is so "harmonious", because nearly all the ponies know their places in life. If what I'm thinking is correct, and the Griffons start behaving differently after they get their cutie marks, it may have some unsettling implications as to how they affect the minds of their bearers. It kind of makes you think if they are really all that different from Starlights "equal sign" cutie maks

This concept will show that ponies are superior.

This show is really bad at portraying non-ponies.

/thread

And yes they really, REALLY ARE. Like completely uncomfortably so. They own sheep, pigs, and cows for goodness sakes, and all three of those are sentient. This isn't even a question any more, in one of the alternate timelines where they were fighting sombra, Sheep were being marched and herded for their wool with guards surrounding them. Effectively they are slaves, lets not beat around the bush. 

The writers seem content to throw away any good lore.

It's a shame because there's a lot of potential for lore.

The lore potential on spike alone makes me cry out in pain sometimes. I feel you on this. 

Well first off, there's the fact that we've only got a second hand account, so this could be a misinterpretation of EqD's part, similar to that Fluttershy becomes a dragon thing several years ago.

It could also be that this is one of those kinds of plots where a creature of some species, usually a young one, tries to be like a creature of another species. It could even be a reworked version of that episode idea Lauren mentioned once about a pony who grew up thinking they were a deer, only we have a griffon trying to be/growing up believing they're a pony.

Very true, its second hand and could get debunked by the show staff. I'm almost wishing they will

That cooould be the case, but then wouldn't of spike received a cutie mark by now then? He absolutely thinks and behaves like a Pony. Also not having a cutie mark can be advantageous as well, Starlight Glimmers entire plan would of crumbled if Spike had been with the mane six specifically because he doesn't have a cutie mark and he could send word to Celestia. 

• Brohoof 1

Speaking of lore, I feel that S5 missed opportunities to expand on lore by giving us more information on other races with the map episodes. Instead, we only get ONE episode about a non-pony race.

Seeing dragon or zebra civilizations would have been much more interesting than seeing Manehattan again or having an episode on redneck ponies.

Edited by VG_Addict

This was at a Toy expo, so It could be just relating to the toys. I'm thinking its going to affect the show though. I can't say I'm totally thrilled with it either; Sure I'll make a head canon around it but its changing the status quo in a weird way.

It was presented as an animatic from the show, so it's certainly going to be the plot of an episode. In fact, there were no toys of griffons with Cutie Marks shown at all.

It was presented as an animatic from the show, so it's certainly going to be the plot of an episode. In fact, there were no toys of griffons with Cutie Marks shown at all.

So this is definitely happening then. Very interesting. I wonder how close I got this time on this theory. 

• Brohoof 1