Is it possible the movie could end up being darker than the show?

SteveMorison

I'm not all that fussed about the movie to be honest, but as for a darker theme, I don't really see them making

anything much worse than what's already happened in some of the other premieres/finales or episodes.. :twi:

I mean, Season 4's Finale was based around an Evil Centaur who basically sucked out the

souls of everyone in Equestria, and banished Celestia, Luna and Cadence to hell itself.. :wacko:

Season 5 Episode 13's plot  was based upon an evil spirit infecting and corrupting the

dreams of all beings and strives to engulf the entire world in a living nightmare.. :huh:

There have been some dark ones, but i doubt the last movie will be darker than what the show has already

shown.. And personally, i don't want the movie to be darker or grim.. It just wouldn't suit.. I mean it can be

dark.. but being even darker than the show is a bit much.. Bronies aren't the only ones to watch MLP..

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 3

Yes! I'd love it to be a bit less happy and jolly than the show. Though, I don't really want it to be "Oh, Satan is a villain! Oh and then everyone dies. Hahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahhahahaah"

Pennutoh has a gun

I've been waiting for a My Little Pony film that was actually about ponies for a while now; I don't want some edgy, try-hard nonsense that frightens or confuses children and makes Grimdork authors salivate.  I think pleading for darker themes in a movie about friendship-celebrating equines is like clamoring for Stephen King to write nice books without so much blood or violence or scary things.

• Brohoof 6

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

Why should it be?

If the movie keeps the tone of the show, but goes a bit higher then that, i am okay with it.

Why do we need some kind of edginess?

really? why naught? i mean, if its gonna be good, it should go to a wide variety of audiences(like zootopia, which was AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!)

I inhale dank memes, and i intend to make a dank signature soon. I also have shyabetes btw. 

really? why naught? i mean, if its gonna be good, it should go to a wide variety of audiences(like zootopia, which was AN AWESOME MOVIE!!!)

Because you can also fall flat on your face, if you take the tone to a direction, where it dosen't need to be.

MLP Never was this kinda show for me and i think the movie won't profit from the fact, from taking itself too seriously.

Why do so many still assume that "darker and serious" = better?

Because they like it and happy themes are "cliche."

• Brohoof 2

My OC Mesme Rize: >https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/mesme-rize-r8777

img-31596-1-img-31596-1-msg-34233-0-90052000-1465262037.jpg

Thank you Randimaxis for this Wonderful Avatar. smile.png

Please, don't be afraid to talk to me. I am not as unapproachable, as you might think.

(edited)

If they took a more mature line with the film, and I took my daughter to see it, and enjoyed it more than she did because of that fact, then I would consider the film to have not only failed, but also to have betrayed the main audience of the franchise.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 4

qDMpMKO.jpg

Well it depends on what you mean by "darker." Like if you are expecting Fallout Equestria levels of violence, profanity, sexual content, and bleak tonality, I think you're going to be disappointed. Me personally I was hoping the Smooze would return in an updated form but still with the same all consuming menace. Obviously that's not going to happen but still, by it's nature they can't just make a slice of life episode stretched out to feature length. So the stakes are naturally going to be higher.

Well, I'm not expecting characters dying or blood, but I think the movie will reach a point of mayor hopelessness...

Do you mean something like this?

post-375-0-18249000-1459887627.png

• Brohoof 2

imageproxy_php.gif.79d30fb629f5f637d2be13581d906b35.gif

Thank you Sparklefan1234!!!

One thing I hope is that it never, and I MEAN NEVER, go down the same path of killing off characters like the 1986 Transformers film.

After the backlash the death of Optimus Prime got? I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Maybe the Enemy is gonna look more frightening, than everything before, but really dark...its a Kids Show, so probably not.

Could have some more cooler fights though.  :ooh:

Signature.png.dfe30e494cadddd2f98e87ea7e3841eb.png

Sig made by Kyoshi

Since the show is still aimed at the target demographic and not the older fans I would say they will keep it within the safe limits, it makes no sense risking crossing the line if it is the end of the series, or at least towards the end. 

• Brohoof 2

-Amateur Artist-

img-37273-1-gdL8C17.png

http://jestwinged.deviantart.com/

Signature by ~Kyoshi~

actually, i want them to go  darker then before,BUUUUUUUT, they need to avoid grimdark. I would actually enjoy something that would actually make the adults kinda entertained too.

• Brohoof 1

I inhale dank memes, and i intend to make a dank signature soon. I also have shyabetes btw. 

A little bit, but probably not by much.

It won't be on DiscFam, but Hasbro will be still be calling the shots, after all.

For starters, I HIGHLY doubt anypony will die (except the villain of course).

Edited by Jangobadass

"It's like I found a piece of myself I didn't even know was missing!"

How do you think WE feel?!

A little bit, but probably not by much.

It won't be on DiscFam, but Hasbro will be still be calling the shots, after all.

For starters, I HIGHLY doubt anypony will die (except the villain of course).

It'd be an improvement from Redeeming them :P

But MAJORLY darker? Nah, I'm thinking maybe a little darker or more mature than the S4 Finale, but its not going to go Evangelion on us or anything.

I believe S5's beginning was quite a bit darker than S4's end. While Tirek was quite the evil beast, he was outright upfront from the beginning. Starlight on the other hand... She was manipulative. Corruptive. It would appear she lured them into a false pretense and kept them all under a tight leash while secretly disguising everything as being all happy and wonderful. She actually had them forcibly behave in a way she wanted, that was far more sinister than what Tirek had.

But yes. I do hope they stoop into darker materials if possible. I hope something so corruptive comes along, that only Discord can stop it. Something that blows away those Rainbow Power ponies with ease, yet only Chaotic powers can halt.

Edited by Major Cooke

I really hope it is not darker than what happened in Twilight's Kingdom, and that goes especially if anything happens to any of the Alicorn Princesses, especially Celestia and Luna. I don't want anyone in the Brony Community to end up being heartbroken if anything happens to the characters that we all know and love in the movie be a cause for it to affect whether or not we'll still see them in the television series itself.

Grimdark for the sake of being grimdark does not generally translate to good writing. This is especially true for a series that did not start out that way, such as FiM. 

And besides, it certainly doesn't help that the show's dark moments have consistently shafted Twilight's friends and had her being the one doing anything noteworthy. No particular reason to believe that a dark film would not simply be another Twilight glorification fest.

Bingo. I'm fine with a little darkness, I though the Season 4 and 5 finales were great, but being overly dark "becuz moviez" is just going to get into bad writing. I hope the stakes are a bit higher than in any of the finales, but it's very possible to overdo it, and just because there will be a big group of 16-30 year old males watching it doesn't mean they need to go overboard.

TL;DR I hope they don't stray too far from the tone of the season finales.

• Brohoof 1

sig-33250.06qBwXQ.jpg

Signature by the ever-awesome Overdrive!

Pinki Pie FTW! :pinkie: